Liquid Smoke, Alton's Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Smoke, Alton's Way

Inspired by Alton Brown's show this morning on how he made his liquid smoke.
    He had a 5 foot chimney on top of a ceramic backyard cooker. On top of the chimney he placed a bundt cake pan, with the hole in the center. That got topped with a pie plate, upon which was placed a bag of ice.
    Smoke hit the cold tin, condensed into the bundt cake pan.
    Instant liquid smoke

I don't have a ceramic backyard cooker with 5 foot chimney on top. But I do have urgent need to make liquid smoke since it cant be found anywhere in this country. What to do?

Tadaaa... !!

IMG_0019s.jpgIMG_0020s.jpgIMG_0021s.jpgIMG_0023s.jpg

Non chemical bbq chips/woods soaked for minimum an hour in water
    Beef bones
    An old thick pan
    Tin foils
    Two empty cleaned powder milk tins -one with both sides open and the other with one side open.
    A bundt cake pan
    Some cooler bags/squares
    A small container

Layer the old pan with foils, put one milk tin with both sides open on top of it. Put foils around the bottom so the smoke doesn't leak out.
    Put soaked wood/chips inside the inner tin. Put the bundt cake pan on top to concentrate the smoke flow and cover with one side open milk tin upside down. Put bags of ice on top of it.
    Put the pan on the stove. Could throw some chicken or beef scraps to enhance the smoke flavor on the wet chips. You could also put brined chicken thighs wrapped in foils on top of the chips and cook yourself a smoke chicken while waiting.
    Turn on the heat, take a seat, and let it smoke. Replace the ice bags when it's no longer cold.
    Collect the condensed smoke in the bundt cake pan. I spoiled some drops to my dress and it makes me smell like bbq grill the whole day. Not a bad thing actually. Not a bad thing at all. Cute blokes were sniffing me out along the way. You know how addicted those testosterone beings with anything barbecued ^^.

IMG_0029s.jpgIMG_0012s.jpg

This is what i got in two hours.
    Say whatever you want. It might be a waste of time for some people, but for me, this is an achievement. And I am proud of it! ^^
    Last edited by CC's Alter; 30-07-10, 11:18.

well done very creative, where did yo get the BBQ chips?
    [FONT=Verdana]As a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy
    [/FONT]

Comment

so creative, CC! I use Colgin liquid smoke (hickory flavour).
      Last edited by Chicka; 30-07-10, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by kim& mika View Post
        well done very creative, where did yo get the BBQ chips?
        I made it my self most of the time. I 'help' Tukang Es Kelapa (coconut ice vendor) nearby to 'clean' all the coconut shells he wasted. I wash it clean and sun/oven dried it.

Or buy IDR 15,000 at Hero for a bulk. ^^

Originally posted by Chicka View Post
        so creative, CC! I use Colgin liquid smoke (hickory flavour).
        Can not find liquid smoke anywhere here in Jakarta, Chicka..

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with Liquid smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by BatamBule View Post
            Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with Liquid smoke?
            It is a convenient cutting corners, if you don't want to go through all the troubles to do the real thing.
            I use it to make my own smoke flavor barbecue sauce. Also to give a touch of smoky flavor to my crock pot/oven slow roast brisket/ribs as well as vegetable stir fry.
            Just like vanilla for dessert.

Comment

Collect the condensed smoke in the bundt cake pan. I spoiled some drops to my dress and it makes me smell like bbq grill the whole day. Not a bad thing actually. Not a bad thing at all. Cute blokes were sniffing me out along the way. You know how addicted those testosterone beings with anything barbecued ^^.
              Now I understand...... sneaky, very sneaky

Comment

Works even better than DIOR Addict, Im sure.
                Maybe i should start a new perfume line. Some tittles cross to mind.

Smoky Hot by CC

Comment

Working...
                X