Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indonesian Palm Sugar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Indonesian Palm Sugar

    Hi,

    my local Asia store offers 3 kinds of Indonesian palm sugar: gula jawa, gula aren and gula kelapa.
    Can anybody bring some light in this and tell what is the difference between those 3 kinds and from what kind of palm they are made from?

  • #2
    Originally posted by ubuntubang View Post
    Hi,

    my local Asia store offers 3 kinds of Indonesian palm sugar: gula jawa, gula aren and gula kelapa.
    Can anybody bring some light in this and tell what is the difference between those 3 kinds and from what kind of palm they are made from?
    gula jawa-kelapa is not palm sugar, they are coconut sugar. there's a diff between palm and coconut sugar. diff texture, color, and taste. gula aren is palm sugar.

    palm sugar comes from the Palmyra or sugar palm and the other from coconut palm, but both are produced from the sweet, watery sap that drips from cut flower buds.
    failing fast or recover fast? Going AGILE.....

    Comment


    • #3
      so is gula jawa = gula kelapa?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
        so is gula jawa = gula kelapa?
        correct. gula kelapa is gula jawa/merah, but not all gula jawa/merah is gula kelapa. some gula jawa/merah is sugar cane based.
        failing fast or recover fast? Going AGILE.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ladyengineer View Post
          correct. gula kelapa is gula jawa/merah, but not all gula jawa/merah is gula kelapa. some gula jawa/merah is sugar cane based.
          How would we know just by looking at it or the packaging? Does it say something different? The shape? etc?

          And gula aren is made of a different palm tree species than the coconut but definitely not sugar cane based?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
            How would we know just by looking at it or the packaging? Does it say something different? The shape? etc?

            And gula aren is made of a different palm tree species than the coconut but definitely not sugar cane based?
            aren is the name of the palm tree. the sugar named after the tree (pohon aren produced gula aren)

            well, if you get it from a supercenter then you can easily tell by the packaging. but if you go to a traditional market, you'd most likely be guessing by the price or by asking the vendor.

            sugar caned based gula jawa/merah is the most common, therefore it is the least expensive. gula kelapa is a little pricey, can b found easily in jawa tengah, not so much easy in Jakarta. better taste compared to common/sugar caned based gula merah. both came in two colors, lighter and darker brown. lighter is used for taste while darker one is used for color. I personally like the lighter one for bumbu rujak.

            gula aren on the other hand, is pretty rare, I mean you still can get them if you are lucky (knows where to get them) they are the most expensive compared to the other two. most of them has a round dome shape, some came in cylinder shape like gula merah/jawa. this is one way to identify gula aren. from the taste wise, gula aren is the bomb. you can't go wrong with gula aren. price don't lie.

            and if you found gula aren, dome shaped, wrapped in dried aren leaves (like in the link), buy them.
            http://www.ciputranews.com/media/ima...1/gulaaren.jpg
            failing fast or recover fast? Going AGILE.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ubuntubang View Post
              Hi,

              my local Asia store offers 3 kinds of Indonesian palm sugar: gula jawa, gula aren and gula kelapa.
              Can anybody bring some light in this and tell what is the difference between those 3 kinds and from what kind of palm they are made from?
              Hi could you share the information for the seller? it is very hard to find true gula aren here in NYC and I cant seem to find it online. Also if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it

              Comment

              Working...
              X