Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

post photos of your festive (thanksgiving/christmas/eid/imlek/etc) meals here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post photos of your festive (thanksgiving/christmas/eid/imlek/etc) meals here!

whether you're in indonesia or not, you're welcome to post photos of your festive meals and decorations here.

I want to post a photo of "haft sin table" and a short description about nowruz(iranian new year celebration).
    Nowruz
    *The Iranian New Year celebration or Nowruz always begins on the first day of spring .(21 March)
    *A few weeks before Nowruz , Iranians clean their homes. They buy new clothes, cookies, nuts and germinate seeds as a sign of New Year and rebirth of nature.
    *Haft-sin is a traditional table setting of Nowruz .Haft sin table includes seven items. All starting with sin in the Persian alphabet.
    The Haft sin items are:
    1. Sabzeh: Wheat, mung beans or lentil sprouts growing in a dish as symbol of rebirth
    2. Samanu: Sweet pudding made from wheat germ as symbol of affluence.
    3. Senjed: : A kind of dried fruit as symbol of love.
    4. Sir: Garlic is a symbol of medicine.
    5. Sib: Apple is symbol of beauty and health
    6. Somaq: Sumac is a kind of spice .Its colour is same az colour of sunrise.
    7. Serkeh: Vinegar is symbol of old age and patience. Here is the sample photo of haft sin:

sabzi polo ba mahi is special of nowruz night. It is fried fish with special rice( rice mixed with vegetables: parsly, corriander, dill, spring onions )topped with saffron.
    Last edited by Mina_H; 24-11-11, 18:44. Reason: add photos of meals
    "Life is the thought of smelling flowers on the soil of another planet." Sohrab Sepehri

Comment

mina_h, thanks so much for sharing this. very interesting interpretations of what certain thing means. is there a background story to how, say senjed, became the symbol of love?

Comment

Originally posted by bow chicka wow wow View Post
        mina_h, thanks so much for sharing this. very interesting interpretations of what certain thing means. is there a background story to how, say senjed, became the symbol of love?
        You are wellcome. Senjed plant is a flowering plant . Ancient iranians believed that senjed blossoms's aroma increases the sence of love. I searched the equivalent word for senjed in english. It is oleaster or wild olive in english.
        "Life is the thought of smelling flowers on the soil of another planet." Sohrab Sepehri

Comment

I hope not OOT - here International brunch at my daughter school, food from 25 nations

and this from Indonesia ... very simple dish, semar mendem, you'll see we're cheating

Comment

this is totally with the topic - thanks for posting, wisnu! did you mean you're cheating because you didn't make the sauce to go with your semar mendem?

Comment

b chicka ww
              we could not find glutinous rice here.
              so we used japan rice + olive oil; surprisingly people love it, finish in few minute.

Comment

I just signed up with this forum because I was looking for the word "sumac" in Google and found this word here on this page.... I'm desperately looking for the sumac (somaq) powder which is a Middle Eastern spice. Does anybody here know where I can find it here in Jakarta? Thanks a lot!
                Last edited by elishevadpw; 04-06-12, 13:42. Reason: forgot a word...

Comment

Originally posted by elishevadpw View Post
                  I just signed up with this forum because I was looking for the word "sumac" in Google and found this word here on this page.... I'm desperately looking for the sumac (somaq) powder which is a Middle Eastern spice. Does anybody here know where I can find it here in Jakarta? Thanks a lot!
                  Hi elishevadpw,
                  Wellcome to the forum. I am sure you can find sumac in" Al-asma mediterranean products" in Pasar Festival.Pasar festival is in Jl.Rasuna said in south Jakarta(Kuningan area). It is not a supermarket but you can find many hard to find middle-eastern products in this small store.

Comment

Working...
                  X