Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by montee51 View Post
    Hey Worldtraveler

Some valid points posted already in comments re visas, work ops etc ( the only option for expats work wise are at the dive shops and even they are limited - otherwise starting a small biz is the only other way)

It takes a special mindset to make it work in Gili T (and other small islands in Indo). Its a great place to live as long as you can accept the limitations of small island living.

Some of the comments are generalizations but Ive been living in Gili T for over 10 years so drop me a PM and I'll give you all specific details
    Originally posted by Shinta View Post
    In my case It was totally the opposite experience, but of course probably because I am the foreigner one and my husband the local one. I almost lost my life when I had my child and I had a terrible experience, beside she was born with 1,5 kg so it was a very tough experience for me or for all of us, nothing to say that for my local husband who doesn't know another level of medical care probably was ok, but for me it was very different situation........... We spend more than 3 months on hospitals and it was a tough experience....Of course if everything goes well, giving birth can be a great experience almost every where but when there is health problems it is another history......
    I experiment exactly the opposite of you, even when I manage on bahasa indonesia, that time was not very good and hard to comunicate and so far from my family and friends, of course even having my husband family supporting us it was not the same experience I could have had in my own country with my own family and friends, I was very alone and with a terrible lack of knowledge and experience (it was the first time)..........
    Hi Shinta!
    I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I hope your child is healthy now and that you are not feeling alone anymore.
    I think every person has a different experience to share. Unfortunately a lot of bad things can happen. Other than your pregnancy and your feeling of loneliness, how was it to live there? Are you still living there? How is it to have a local husband being an expat? Your experience is very worthwhile to me!
    Thank you for answering my thread

Comment

Thank you worldtraveler for coming back (so often people just disappear). Sounds like you are off to a reasonable start.

On English teaching - I don't keep track of the details because I'm not a teacher myself, but I know there are very specific rules about nationality (if you are British, American or Australian you're fine; I don't know what the rules are for Canadians), the field in which you received your degree, additional certifications, and years of experience that you have to have before you can be legally hired as a teacher. There should be plenty of info on the forum (try searching on CELTA or something like that).

More later, gotta get out of the car now...
      Puspawarna
      Banned
      Last edited by Puspawarna; 10-09-15, 21:39.

Comment

Originally posted by worldtraveler View Post
        Hi SMALLWORLD

Thank you so much for answering so clearly to all of my questions!
        For the job, like I said, I am looking for working fields that would allow me to find a job over there. When you say that it is difficult to live there as an expat, what do you mean? I am very curious. Thank you for your wish and I will keep you up to date with my process!
        I am also curious of what sort of job are you planning to look for in Indonesia?

Originally posted by worldtraveler View Post
        Hi SMALLWORLD again!
        I think there are always things that you could miss from home. I know that if i moved to Indonesia, I'd miss my parents and other little stuff from Montreal.. But overall I am so sure that this town is not the place for me to live that these things would easily be replaceable by things I love more in my new home (except for my parents, of course, who would come and visit me)
        If you can and have time, I would much appreciate if you told me about your whole experience of moving and the reason why you chose Indonesia.
        Thank you
        You have great parents. Mine are too old and sick to travel by plane 15 hours from Europe to Indonesia.

How about if I exchange my Indonesian experience with someone else Canadian / Indonesian experience.

How funny this world is... few weeks ago I met a guy (Indonesian who gave up his Indo citizenship and moved to Canada with his dad). His dad decided to move (about 15 or so years ago) to Canada as he believed it is so much better place to live. His dad, sold his house (I think he also divorced with his wife as she doesn't like the idea to go to Canada). This guy's mum still lives here in Indonesia and the son lives with her in her house now. He plans to get married this or next month with a daughter my wife's friend here in Indonesia and he said he is happy here in Indonesia. I know he was only living here about 2 weeks (just arrived) before he was a small child (he was maybe 8-10 years old) - when he moved to Canada. His dad was and still is very angry at him and the whole idea of him living here in Indonesia. His dad started to work as an assistant in a shop to help packing food into the bags for customers and now he has got his own small business and was hoping to pass the business to his son. The son and dad are from Vancouver as far as I remember.

The guy came here to Indonesia as (from what he told me) he could not find a "good" job after he graduated in Canada and he doesn't like or is not interested in his dad's business (I found out later or it was some catering business or small restaurant). He said to me he wants to settle down for good in Indonesia. I mean wow.. 2 weeks and he already knows he wants to stay here in Indo.

PS. I met him again in Kantor Imigrasi going through the process of getting KITAS - or was it something else - not sure. He asked a lot of questions to my wife how I got mine KITAS and the details of what, where and how.

Could you explain to me what do you mean by this:
        "I am so sure that this town is not the place for me to live that these things would easily be replaceable by things I love more"?

Comment

Who doesn't want to live in Gili T?
          Well from my observation, you can own a B&B in Gili and that would cover your living expenses. But that would require a lot of capitals also i believe that Gili T is too crowded now. There are too much B&B or resort there, it's not as beautiful as it used to be.
          However, if you still want to move and live in Gili T, there are other options that would allow you to make a living there:

1. Be a Dive Master. There are some diving resort in collab with PADI, and some of the dive masters are foreigner.
          2. Be a Chef. You don't have to be Michelin Stars World Chef, just make sure you are a certified chef and you can work in some fancy resort in the west part of the island
          3. Be a bartender. There are a lot of bars there, but i'm not so sure they would hire a foreigner let alone to provide you Kitas/Visa
          4. Be a freelancer travel blog/article writer, but this might require you to travel to other islands.
          5. Live in Lombok, get a job there, then go to Gili T once every week

About the medication, there's a small clinic in Gili T and a small pharmacies but they can only help with simple medical cases.

Hope this can help
          Cheers,

Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Comment

Originally posted by montee51 View Post
            Hey Worldtraveler

Some valid points posted already in comments re visas, work ops etc ( the only option for expats work wise are at the dive shops and even they are limited - otherwise starting a small biz is the only other way)

It takes a special mindset to make it work in Gili T (and other small islands in Indo). Its a great place to live as long as you can accept the limitations of small island living.

Some of the comments are generalizations but Ive been living in Gili T for over 10 years so drop me a PM and I'll give you all specific details
            Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
            Thank you worldtraveler for coming back (so often people just disappear). Sounds like you are off to a reasonable start.

On English teaching - I don't keep track of the details because I'm not a teacher myself, but I know there are very specific rules about nationality (if you are British, American or Australian you're fine; I don't know what the rules are for Canadians), the field in which you received your degree, additional certifications, and years of experience that you have to have before you can be legally hired as a teacher. There should be plenty of info on the forum (try searching on CELTA or something like that).

More later, gotta get out of the car now...
            Again, thank you Puspawarna for answering!
            About the teaching job, I will have to dig further... and reorientate my studies! But I think it is possible to travel anywhere if you are good at the job you're doing. So I'll have to see all the opportunities before having to settle down for teaching (as it is not my dream job)

Comment

Originally posted by SMALLWORLD View Post
              I am also curious of what sort of job are you planning to look for in Indonesia?

You have great parents. Mine are too old and sick to travel by plane 15 hours from Europe to Indonesia.

How about if I exchange my Indonesian experience with someone else Canadian / Indonesian experience.

How funny this world is... few weeks ago I met a guy (Indonesian who gave up his Indo citizenship and moved to Canada with his dad). His dad decided to move (about 15 or so years ago) to Canada as he believed it is so much better place to live. His dad, sold his house (I think he also divorced with his wife as she doesn't like the idea to go to Canada). This guy's mum still lives here in Indonesia and the son lives with her in her house now. He plans to get married this or next month with a daughter my wife's friend here in Indonesia and he said he is happy here in Indonesia. I know he was only living here about 2 weeks (just arrived) before he was a small child (he was maybe 8-10 years old) - when he moved to Canada. His dad was and still is very angry at him and the whole idea of him living here in Indonesia. His dad started to work as an assistant in a shop to help packing food into the bags for customers and now he has got his own small business and was hoping to pass the business to his son. The son and dad are from Vancouver as far as I remember.

The guy came here to Indonesia as (from what he told me) he could not find a "good" job after he graduated in Canada and he doesn't like or is not interested in his dad's business (I found out later or it was some catering business or small restaurant). He said to me he wants to settle down for good in Indonesia. I mean wow.. 2 weeks and he already knows he wants to stay here in Indo.

PS. I met him again in Kantor Imigrasi going through the process of getting KITAS - or was it something else - not sure. He asked a lot of questions to my wife how I got mine KITAS and the details of what, where and how.

Could you explain to me what do you mean by this:
              "I am so sure that this town is not the place for me to live that these things would easily be replaceable by things I love more"?
              Hi SMALLWORLD, thank you for showing so much interest!
              This is a cool story. I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who would quit Canada to go to Indo.
              What I meant by that sentence was that yes, going to Indonesia would involve letting go of things such as seeing my parents on a weekly basis, giving up the occidental way of life, the food I love here (bagels and cream cheese, or smoked salmon, etc etc.). But I think that these things are worth giving up if it involves that I'm going to live a life that is more well suited for me and that makes me truly happy. These things I'd be giving up would be replaced by other things that I'd probably end up loving more! I'm talking about the indonesian way of life, the scenery, the family I'd be starting over there... People often tell me that I have to think about what I'm giving up here before moving to Indonesia, and I think they're right but it's not the most important thing. The most important thing is that I live in a place that makes me happy and where I feel at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Phalange View Post
                Who doesn't want to live in Gili T?
                Yap, I do. The first time I went to Gili Meno I totally fallen in love with the Gilis and I wanted to buy land there, even I was calling a few people who that time sold land and asked about prices!!
                I dare to say that maybe 80% of the people travel to Gilis dream or would like to live there, I wonder why? the beauty of the islands, the weather, I wouldn't say the people, probably for me the clue is the simplicity of life there, are the kind of places you realize that we don't need much to live and be happy...............just "some" money..........
                Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
                  the clue is the simplicity of life there, are the kind of places you realize that we don't need much to live and be happy...............just "some" money..........
                  Yep. You're so right

Comment

Hi, any olan for this weekend? I want to go somewhere this weekend

Comment

Working...
                    X