Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Hosting companies are you guys using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Hosting companies are you guys using?

I'd like to know what Web hosts are good for web sites that are going to be accessed from Indonesia as well as from the rest of the world with fairly good performance and (like this forum for instance).

I suppose using a host inside Indonesia would yield best performance for access from within the country but poor when accessed from the abroad?

I have noticed that internet peformance is generally poor when accessing European sites from Indonesia. American sites seem to be faster so I assume there are better connections between the U.S and S.E.A. than to the E.U.

Where is this server located by the way? It seems to be fairly fast when accessed from both the E.U and Indonesia.
    Kind regards

Don,

Our www.expat.or.id site is hosted on Indonet. I'll ask Paman where he's moved the Forum hosting too (just recently). Before it was with DreamHost. GoDaddy offers incredible cheap, reliable and robust hosting.

wm
    Danielle Surkatty
    Member of the Organizing Committee
    Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
    https://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
    Webmaster
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

Comment

my previous company i worked at use hostingcenter.com
      [FONT=verdana][FONT=bookman old style]
      [/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

@wm: I've been looking at iPage and some other U.S. hosting providers. I know GoDaddy are popular as well. Any experience from iPage?

What are your opinions regarding performance when surfing american sites from Indonesia in general?
        Kind regards

Comment

We use Singapore webhosting at S$143.64/year.
          Regards STT.
          PS: If typo, blame it on Apple and Samsung!

Comment

Warning: Uber Geek speak

We currently use Linode. They are a Linux VPS provide using Xen virtualization. We are currently using their Linode360 slice. Not too bad performance. Basically your straightforward LAMP setup with vBulletin plastered all ontop of it. I'm thinking about integrating mod_proxy with CoralCDN to help boost performance all over the world, but still working out the kinks. I got it to work with mod_rewrite but the addresses didn't translate well the way I wanted them to.

Our last provide that served us well was Dreamhost (we were with them for two years), but the forum traffic was killing their servers and we really should have had a VPS for our box about a year or so ago.

As far as increasing access within Europe/Asia I would recommend you really look at what your traffic source is coming from. For us we are at about 60% Asia and 40% everywhere else. Although Linode is hosted in California, they have good pipes that lead to Asia, thus the decrease in latency once the switched moved. If your still having issues with getting your traffic around the world in a decent time, please look into getting hooked up with a CDN provider (I recommend both CoralCDN and Voxel).

I would recommend that you get an excellent hosting provider that can guarantee Tier-1 network access rather than some crappy provider (1&1, GoDaddy, or even Dreamhost), but if your budget is tight I guess they will do.

Feel free to send me an email at my address below to chat up more.

Shameless plug: If you think Linode is an awesome hosting provider (Like I do), then please sign-up using THIS URL. Linode will give a portion of your monthly payings to forum's hosting account to keep us up and running
            Last edited by paman; 27-04-10, 10:20. Reason: added info
            Need help with the forum? Contact me!
            Butuh bantuan dengan forum ini? E-mail aku!

Don't forget to stop by our primary website, Living in Indonesia, A Site For Expatriates.

Comment

Also here are some fancy graphs of our site in action with Linode serving ~100 users concurrently:

CPU graph:

Network:

Don't forget to stop by our primary website, Living in Indonesia, A Site For Expatriates.

Comment

Geek Speak continued....

I'm hosting some hobby sites and personal email and doing some general tinkering on a FreeBSD box in my kitchen closet so I'd like a VPS solution as well but I'm on a tight budget right now so I guess I could live with a plain web host service for the time beeing. As long as it's working! Currently my sites get about 300'000 hits / mo and about 10 gigabytes of traffic so it's not a big thing.

The setup is basically a LAMP with phpBB boards, IMAPS for email and, mostly for fun, FTP, VoIP and Shoutcast streaming (nothing that I really need).

Linode looks neat and not too expensive but again I'm on a tight budget so I'm looking to cut $10 / mo if possible. Most certainly I'll be disappointed with iPage or GoDaddy kind of service but choice is limited with my budget :P
                Kind regards

Comment

I think Godaddy are good for domains but not hosting. Hostgator is another option and their customer service is pretty good.

Comment

For work: 6 Linodes (2x360, 4x1440), for my personal geeking: a 360 Linode, some old piece of junk sitting on a friends' T1 in Canada, my test server under my desk, and the incredibly old dual PIII sitting in a datacenter somewhere in Miami. All Linodes run Gentoo, the Canadian server runs Debian eh, the test box under my desk runs either Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, or OpenBSD, and the machine in Miami runs OpenBSD.

Yar. I outgeek you all. :P
                    sigpic
                    bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Comment

Eek! The geeks come out of the woodwork!

@MadCat: I believe you just executed a fatality move on us with letting us know that you even dare to run OpenBSD.

I choose to run this on Debian/32 just because I think it was the most stable route to go as far as options based off of what Linode had to offer...and I've had the most experience with it.

@donfuego: If your looking for the cheapest hosting possible, check out NearlyFreeSpeech.net. They run off of FreeBSD, but unlike a VPS you are tied down to only hosting.

Comment

@madcat: Agreed

@paman: NFS.net looks interesting. However for now (and for the ease of it) I'm thinking about going with WebFaction.com. They look like a serious company and i have only been reading good stuff about them on the net. I'd rather go with a provider who 'only' serves 20'000 websites than 1 million, like some of the budget players claim to do. Webfaction's budget plan is $6.50 / mo if signed over 3 years.
                        Kind regards

Comment

Originally posted by paman View Post
                          Eek! The geeks come out of the woodwork!
                          @Paman : Yay!!

Well, i will be the follower of this thread
                          Love the linux based hosting coz its way.... cheaper, but it means that i hv to learn more on PHP or other frameworks.
                          [/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 83cece83 View Post
                            Love the linux based hosting coz its way.... cheaper, but it means that i hv to learn more on PHP or other frameworks.
                            What are you developing on today? IMO PHP is way easier than, for example, VB .NET which just turns into an uncontrollable mess in a big project. PHP is loosely built on C syntax but with the flexibility of a scripting language. I embraced PHP because I already knew C and it was one of the first wide spread open source scripting lanuages. Today there's a bunch of alternatives worth looking into.
                            Kind regards

Comment

I was using classic ASP, but too much limitation, so yea i'm using PHP but my current company im working at, we use ASP.net.
                              I'm poor in OOP!!! *cry*
                              [/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X