Should I get a VPN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a VPN?

I am looking at VPN's for after our move to Jakarta, and I have a few questions.

1. Should I purchase it before hand or can I do from Indonesia?

2. Will I be able to stream with Netflix, amazon, youtube, and the like?

3. Will I still be able to use paypal?

4. I am looking at the extra security that HideMyAss pro or Strong VPN might provide. ANy recommendations?

Anything else I should be aware of?
    QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Hi, I'm using express VPN, but worth looking at one that you can set up on your router rather than individual devices.
    1. Can do it here,
    2. If you get a fast enough connections - have alook at first media
    3. Yes
    4. I guess it's worth it.

All worked out rather easily for me, so I woudln't worry too much about it

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1w View Post
      Hi, I'm using express VPN, but worth looking at one that you can set up on your router rather than individual devices.
      1. Can do it here,
      2. If you get a fast enough connections - have alook at first media
      3. Yes
      4. I guess it's worth it.

All worked out rather easily for me, so I woudln't worry too much about it

Dave
      Thanks!! I appreciate the quick response.

What is first media? How do I find out about setting it up on the router? Isn't it easier to have it on the computer so I can use it anywhere?
      QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

First Media is an Internet access and TV cable provider in Indonesia. Some VPN providers require you to connect through their router in addition to the one of your Internet access provider.
        "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

search VPN on this forum, Sergei had a thread about it where he reviewed several different ones. Mods, perhaps we can have some stickies?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
            search VPN on this forum, Sergei had a thread about it where he reviewed several different ones. Mods, perhaps we can have some stickies?
            thanks i looked at sergei's thread .. it looked dated/didn't answer all of my questions

Comment

Just about three days ago I was craving for a live football/soccer match of Germany vs Sweden and it didn't get broadcast live on the local TV stations, so I tried to access ARD and Aftonbladet in their respective languages and both of them said the same thing: Due to legal regulations, this video isn't accessible in your region. <frusty icon here> As if the Germans and the Swedes can't pirate the video too!
              Last edited by ricky_id; 19-10-12, 08:20.

Comment

1. Yes you can buy it from here
                2. In theory, yes. However, I doubt that you will be able to stream the content you are after. YouTube might stream ok because they now have servers in Indonesia. Even with FirstMedia, the speed is only "up to XX Mbps". The speed is most likely to be reached for content in Indonesia or Singapore but anything in the US or Europe will definitely be slowed down. First you would need to make sure that FirstMedia is available where you live. Then you would have to be prepared to pay a lot (20Mbps @ around USD200/month). If you are prepared to pay so much, I would look at BizNet. They are known to have the fastest and most reliable internet connection in Indonesia but they are also the most expensive. Then you'd have to hope that the real speed is enough to stream your content. For more information, you can give these ISP a call, they usually have a service in English.
                3. No problem with paypal
                4. You should look at Sergei's thread for that. The thread is not that old and I am sure he will chime in this thread very soon.

This is one of the downsides of living in Indonesia, the Internet access is not very good and all the cool services such as Netflix or Spotify are still years away from being released here.

If you only need to stream netflix and the like for TV series or movies there are other options. I personally use usenet to get the latest TV series coupled with a program called SickBeard which basically launches the download as soon as the next episode of whatever series I'm watching is released on Usenet (would also work with bittorrent) which is usually mere hours after airing on US TV, then renames it and organises it nicely on a NAS along with season cover, synopsis, etc so that I can watch it nicely with the media player on my TV later. I've set it up to only download the 720p version of the episodes. Because of the time difference with the US, it doesn't bug me much to only watch the episodes a day after because the show is aired at a very unconvenient hour for us anyway. I have a 2Mbps connection and a 1.5GB episode usually take a couple hours to download at maximum (I can actually max out my connection speed on Usenet).

Same can be done with movies of course.

If you are concerned about copyright issues, etc. Nothing prevents you from downloading now and buying the original DVD/BD later.

Comment

evpn

Express VPN allows me to watch YouTube videos without any bandwidth throttle from my current ISP (Time Warner Cable). Without StrongVPN, youtube videos would crawl to a halt in the first seconds of watching. With Express VPN my connection is blazing fast.

Comment

You should look for VPN for Indonesia that can offer you full security while surfing the Internet. This is the only way where you can visit any website, without worrying about your security. The VPN services are securing your Internet usage and personal information, by encrypting all incoming and outgoing information. So, you can be assured that whatever site you might visit or what information you use, no one else will be able to see that personal information. According to what I've read from Best VPN Service Mag, HideMyAss is the best VPN for Indonesia. HideMyAss has more than 656 servers and in Indonesia there are two servers. They have different subscription services for everyone’s tastes and preferences. Their fees are slightly higher than other subscription services, but they’re easy to use software and the fact that you can use their services on any of your devices, even more than one device at the same time. So, you don’t have to have a subscription service for each of your devices and computers. Hope this helps.

Comment

If you want to use it all the time, and you want all your devices (phones, tablets, smart tv, etc) to work with foreign services like Hulu, Netflix, etc. then you should get a router with VPN software configured: http://www.flashrouters.com/

If you just want it for the occasional foreign streaming or banking, any of them will do and you can install it on your computer, only activating it when needed. Privateinternetaccess and PureVPN are both good, well priced, and allow up to 5 simultaneous logins, helpful if you want it on multiple devices.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRedSox View Post
                        1. Should I purchase it before hand or can I do from Indonesia?
                        I suggest to do it before. Some VPN providers will not sell to customers from Indonesia (Astrill), so better create an account while you're abroad.

2. Will I be able to stream with Netflix, amazon, youtube, and the like?
                        Depends. Generally yes. There's will be some speed decrease and not all geographically restricted services would be available (depending on provider you choose and location of their servers). Most VPN providers will give you free trial period, make use of it to test your frequently visited sites.

3. Will I still be able to use paypal?
                        Generally yes. Make sure you have access to VPN server in your country of origin, since PayPal might not like access from IPs in other countries.

4. I am looking at the extra security that HideMyAss pro or Strong VPN might provide. ANy recommendations?
                        Based on your questions I'd recommend WiTopia or Astrill VPN (see more here)

Anything else I should be aware of?
                        Depends on your intended usage. Carefully read this VPN thread for more explanation.
                        Last edited by sergei; 04-04-15, 16:23.
                        Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Comment

Another option you can try is a DNS relocation service such as Unlocator. Unlike a VPN, this service just masks your DNS signal to make it appear that you are located in the US, UK, or elsewhere. And as the signal doesn't actually travel through the VPN servers, it doesn't affect the connection speed. I use this with my Apple TV and am able to get all the channels on it with no trouble, Netflix, HBOGo, etc. That is when my internet connection works well enough.

The downside is you don't get any of the security features of a VPN connection. But if all you want is to watch Netflix, this is a faster option.

Comment

I am testing different VPN services every day. I will keep this page updated with whatever is currently working. Right now Express is the only one working reliably on all my devices. If I find others that work as good I will update this page. http://www.tipsforchina.com/best-vpn-for-netflix.html

Comment

If you are travelling abroad and going out of Canada, and have tried to access your favorite video or audio streaming services , you’ll immediately discover that services like, BBC iPlayer, Unblock Pandora, Netflix etc, don’t work anymore. That’s because these services confirm your location to make sure you are in the US. So even though you have a valid subscription of all these services as US resident, you still won’t be able to watch them when you are away on a vacation or business outside of US. If you’re out of The Best Canada VPN For Downloading Torrents So, using the best Canada VPN service, you ensure that whatever you are doing, is taking place in a safe VPN tunnel and no one can see what online activities you are performing. Using a VPN is mandatory, not only in Canada, but everywhere in the world. I l Always Recommended nes Service Its The Best VPN Provider
                              Last edited by Pattinson; 15-07-16, 20:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X