Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red epo?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Red epo?

    Dear colleagues,
    I do not intend to continue my contract with my employers and I gave them reasons to go home. They asked for documents to support my claim which i provided. This morning I received a letter from the HR telling me that I must provide them with additional supporting docs or pay the penalty. if i fail to pay the penalty, then they will make my EPO red and I wont be able to come to indonesia anymore.
    Is there anything as a red EPO?

    Is it possible for an employer to issue a directive for that type of EPO even without any criminal offence?

    Thank you folks.

  • #2
    I need answers please. It is getting murkier with my employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      What are the supporting documents that they are asking for ?

      Comment


      • #4
        What does your employment contract say about early termination? One month notice of intent to leave or one month salary in lieu of notice is fairly typical, yes?

        The school year is ending very soon; Can you hang in there for another month?

        I'm sorry to read about your situation. Good luck.

        Comment


        • #5
          It is a 2 year contract that I signed but I have a brother back home who is having some health problems.It is therefore important that I go back and help him with the whole rehabilitation process in the hospital. The school asked for documents from the hospital which I provided. The documents provided were dated about 2 years ago. I told them the issue started long ago and now is getting worst . They are asking me for additional documents from the hospital. Such documents are not easy to obtain since it's a health issue. The contract stipulated that I must pay one full year gross salary if I break the contract after one year since it is a two year contract. They know nobody can pay this amount. They threatened failure to provide the documents means I had to pay full penalty.if I am able to provide, then penalties would be considered. The HR threatened to give me a red EPO if I do not pay the penalty. What does this imply and are they able to give such an EPO?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jahcares View Post
            It is a 2 year contract that I signed but I have a brother back home who is having some health problems.It is therefore important that I go back and help him with the whole rehabilitation process in the hospital. The school asked for documents from the hospital which I provided. The documents provided were dated about 2 years ago. I told them the issue started long ago and now is getting worst . They are asking me for additional documents from the hospital. Such documents are not easy to obtain since it's a health issue. The contract stipulated that I must pay one full year gross salary if I break the contract after one year since it is a two year contract. They know nobody can pay this amount. They threatened failure to provide the documents means I had to pay full penalty.if I am able to provide, then penalties would be considered. The HR threatened to give me a red EPO if I do not pay the penalty. What does this imply and are they able to give such an EPO?

            sorry to read about your brother's issue, and your predicament.

            Yes, one year salary for early termination is crazy. Perhaps you can offer to pay for an advertisement in order for them to recruit a replacement?

            I am not in Indonesia, and am only researching for a future relocation, so I don't know the intricacies of immigration laws.

            It seems that you have two choices:
            1)just bail out and worry about returning to Indo if/when you consider doing it again.
            2) get the documents that your employer needs. Pardon me for saying/writing so, but it doesn't seem that it would be difficult to have some documents e-mailed or faxed to you which outline the current situation...

            Good luck. Stay positive.
            Last edited by serious_fun; 18-05-16, 20:24.

            Comment


            • #7
              One year? Wow. I recently surveyed 160 International schools around the world asking about penalties, of the 62 that replied, the highest amount imposed was $10,000, the median was 2 months salary and mean was 1 month salary. (because almost half of the school imposed no financial penalty other than loss of benefits. So one year sounds really excessive. And most Heads or Directors I know use discretion when it comes to health and family matters.

              Never heard of this red epo, and as far as I know, immigration are not buddies or servants of schools wanting to impose penalties. If you do not get an EPo that can be a problem. (for both school and employee) but I don't know about a red EPO... but neither have I asked.

              [COLOR=#333333]2) get the documents that your employer needs. Pardon me for saying/writing so, but it doesn't seem that it would be difficult to have some documents e-mailed or faxed to you which outline the current situation...[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333]What he said. [/COLOR]


              ETA: [COLOR=#333333]Now that I think about it, if any employee showed me 2 year old documents for breaking contract, a contract you signed when you knew about this issue already... Sorry, I would question your integrity also. [/COLOR]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SVP_recruitment View Post
                [COLOR=#333333]Now that I think about it, if any employee showed me 2 year old documents for breaking contract, a contract you signed when you knew about this issue already... Sorry, I would question your integrity also. [/COLOR]
                Totally agree and the first thing I thought when I read it - 2 year old document to me is worse than nothing at all, as it looks like you are trying to fabricate excuses. It should not be difficult to get a "doctors" note in any country about a condition (for the patient to get it I mean - if you are trying to get it without your brother's knowledge or consent, different story but again if that is the case your excuse doesn't look valid).

                Another option -what does your contract say about termination for cause? Maybe you could continue on, and just do a really bad job to the point where they are happy to get rid of you?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BAJakarta View Post
                  Totally agree and the first thing I thought when I read it - 2 year old document to me is worse than nothing at all, as it looks like you are trying to fabricate excuses. It should not be difficult to get a "doctors" note in any country about a condition (for the patient to get it I mean - if you are trying to get it without your brother's knowledge or consent, different story but again if that is the case your excuse doesn't look valid).

                  Another option -what does your contract say about termination for cause? Maybe you could continue on, and just do a really bad job to the point where they are happy to get rid of you?
                  Now to clarify the issue, this brother in 2012 and 2013 had visited medics over this same issue. He was discharged after treatment only to relapse in January 2016. So when I traveled home and saw the condition, i had no option than to take this hard thought decision. I hope this short explanation helps. I am not cooking up a story. The health of a brother would be the last thing to use to cook up a story folks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If it's this real of an issue, just leave. Would you wait on the phone with your home on fire, checking on your insurance coverage?
                    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jahcares View Post
                      I am not cooking up a story.
                      We're are not saying you are. Just telling you what it looks like.

                      Originally posted by jahcares View Post
                      The health of a brother would be the last thing to use to cook up a story folks.
                      For sure, not you. But many would, you wouldnt believe the stories I have heard. So you need to consider it from their perspective. You leaving creates extra work, costs them additional money, hiring season is about over, so you will be difficult to replace at this late stage. So, if it's real they (should) be fine with it, but they need that evidence & information.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can't your brother just get an up-to-date medical report of some kind that he could share with you? If his condition is truly serious, he has presumably returned to a health clinic or hospital recently.

                        Like SVP_recruitment says, the issue is not that anyone here is accusing you of lying. The issue is that your employer, reasonably enough, needs certain information, which it shouldn't be too difficult to provide. Seems to me like you could save yourself a huge amount of trouble just by getting some kind of recent medical document from your brother.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am a little confused. Is this the employer you previously wrote about leaving in order to work for another employer (the latter of which asked for a current pay slip)? Have you canceled your plans to go to work for the new employer? http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...atest-pay-slip
                          This space is available for rent.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also, this thread seems pertinent: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...22-Blacklisted
                            This space is available for rent.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This poster's previous threads sprung to my mind as well - it seems every time s/he posts, it's about breaking their contract and the possible penalties - which hardly helps their credibility.

                              As others have said, it's totally reasonable for the school to expect up-to-date documentation if you expect a penalty-free release from your contract, and I don't see why it would be so difficult to get some proof of your brother's condition from his doctor or hospital.

                              I suspect you'll only be satisfied when someone gives you the response you want to hear.
                              And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X