Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Route to teaching Biology/science subjects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route to teaching Biology/science subjects?

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has any "inside knowledge" of the route needed to be taken for a Biology/science teaching role.

My bachelor degree is in Zoology (but I must admit I graduated many moons ago when I was 22 and I am now 31) Yikes!

I am a native UK female and have recently completed my Celta at TBI Kuningan due to wanting to gain some hands on classroom experience. I have looked into completing my PCGE (its a distant learning PGCE from a UK uni). I am well aware my qualifications & very minimal experience at present will not enable me to gain employment (unless at an EF school?? thoughts welcome.... )

If anyone has any experience or knowledge they could offer, it would be hugely appreciated. I am more than willing to put in the hard work & financial backing for this course, providing I'm likely to be able to secure a decent job in this sector in the future. My husband has a business here so there's zero chance of moving out of Indonesia.

I'm not exactly sure what is the best course of action for me to take, especially with the new laws coming into place very soon.

Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

Hey,

I would think that you could get a job as a Science teacher, as your degree is related to the sciences. To be an english teacher, I think you must have either a degree in English, a B.Ed or PGCE.

The problem is that lots of schools will only hire a local as a/ cheaper and b/ they can do it so do not need an expat. The law is shifting and I think the final outcomes are still not clear.

The PGCE(i)? would probably help to get into mid-tier schools, but unlikely in the big school - JIS,BIS etc.

Comment

Hey, you are more than qualified to teach biology or science. Keep applying and do not give up!

Comment

Originally posted by gerrardtorres View Post
        Hey,

I would think that you could get a job as a Science teacher, as your degree is related to the sciences. To be an english teacher, I think you must have either a degree in English, a B.Ed or PGCE.
        Correct. Though for most schools and to be able to gain the correct working visa she will need to complete the PGCEi. Though I am not sure why you think she would not be able to get into JIS or BSJ etc. She will.

Comment

If it is PGCE then yes. But the PGCEi, no because it does not give QTS. I doubt she'll get in.

Comment

Oh, I see. I didn't realise that the PGCEi did not led to QTS. I guess you are correct then.

Comment

Thank you for the help, support & information I have received from you all. The PGCEi will only lead to QTS if I undertake a further few months of study back in the UK after my initial completion of the PGCEI. This is not beyond the realms of possibility Its interesting to hear all your thoughts so thank you again. I'll keep chugging away

Comment

Dear Indo-mug,

You could always try doing some CPD, there is online courses provided by Cambridge webinar and online courses, to introduce any subjects if your new to teacher it, and intermediate level through from IGCSE-A level if you follow the Cambridge Curriculum, tbh the content is pretty much the same as Edexcel however Edexcel covers less topics in general.

But check out the CIE website and training sections.

Thanks
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X