Shooting in USA Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
    People killing other people who do not share their closely held beliefs is indeed worldwide, and timeless in nature. It is uniquely American to view efforts to reduce the carnage as a governmental conspiracy bent on an end to freedom and individual rights.
    Some people I speak to (here and now) say that the government wants to take guns out of the people's hands so that it is easy to control them. Where do these people get such ideas from?

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
      Some people I speak to (here and now) say that the government wants to take guns out of the people's hands so that it is easy to control them. Where do these people get such ideas from?
      America, with its heritage of freedoms and individual rights is also crackpot heaven. The two kind of go together.

Comment

I'm not really in the mood for jokes, but this piece in the Onion from a year and a half ago is surprisingly prescient and apt.

http://www.theonion.com/article/no-w...ere-this-36131

It's really, really bad when a parody news site offers the most accurate commentary on a major societal ill.

Comment

As sad as the Orlando massacre is it still doesn't compare to the carnage in Norway in 2011...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

I confess to knowing very little about Norway but I did see a TV documentary which showed that nearly every Norwegian owns a gun.....even tho' they have strict gun controls.

The killer (sentenced to 21 years) recently complained that his cell was uncomfortable and the high court? agreed and better accomodation should be provided.

Comment

Unbelievable to me that such an evil act seems to be centered on gun control rather than Islamic terrorism. Nut jobs that believe in the ISIS philosophy will kill no matter what weapons are available. The degree of gun control is important, but not as important as ridding the earth of scum.

But of course, political correctness doesn't allow such thinking, so pick the next most obvious target.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimdub View Post
              But of course, political correctness doesn't allow such thinking, so pick the next most obvious target.
              Politcal correctness has nothing to do with it - political views do. I believe that there is plenty of evidence that unrestricted access to guns gives "nut jobs" more opportunities to kill - Sandy Hook and many other examples that had nothing to do with ISIS can be used as evidence in support of my belief. I also believe that ordinary citizens who happen to follow Islam, but would no more support terrorism than would you or I, should not be persecuted for the acts of extremists.

I'm sure you wold disagree with me, but I hope you can see that my position has nothing to do with "political correctness." That has become an overused term that the Right uses to dismiss and marginalize the values of the Left. Disagree all you want with what I think, but do me the courtesy of understanding that deeply held beliefs underlie my position, not some shallow desire to stampede in the direction of being PC because it's trendy.

Comment

There is also the "publicity hijack" factor with ISIS - they are so keen to appear more organized and far reaching than they really are that I am sure they would quite happily put their name on any atrocity that was to be orchestrated by any nut job psycho around the world. its the way they work.

Comment

I think the debate has turned to gun control because apart from detecting future crime as in the movie "Minority Report", limiting casualties through gun control is the most realistic option.
                  Last edited by macvert; 14-06-16, 17:48.
                  The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

It really puzzles me that a gun shop cannot refuse to sell a citizen a gun, but a body armour shop can refuse to sell you body armour also for your protection, now the deed is done, it all is revealed, FBI interviews, comments by his employer, who it appears to have been afraid to sack him because he was a Muslim, are people so afraid act if someone , Muslim or is obviously a nutter, irrespective of his religion,

Comment

Originally posted by Kimdub View Post
                      Nut jobs that believe in the ISIS philosophy will kill no matter what weapons are available. The degree of gun control is important, but not as important as ridding the earth of scum.
                      Most, even most Muslims, would agree... but how exactly?

Comment

[SIZE=3]"Gun culture alive and well in Australia, ranking sixth in firearm imports: expert"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]
                        [COLOR=#045893][FONT=ProximaNova]"The reaction in America is to pray and then to blame somebody else, and then to buy more guns."
                        [/FONT][/COLOR]
                        [/SIZE]http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-14/gun-culture-alive-and-well-in-australia-expert-says/7509286

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                          Getting hold of an assault rifle in France the legal way is extremely difficult if not impossible. There is absolutely no gun culture in France except for a very small part of the population that is into hunting.
                          I definitively concur with this statement. Hell, even a few years ago, finding an assault rifle the illegal way was just impossible. The end of the soviet republic and the end of the Balkan conflicts are the two reasons why the situation has drastically changed and a massive amount of rifles have been all by sudden available and easy to smuggle to any corner of the European Union.

Comment

An American who's been living in Melbourne says something about the shootings and gun culture in the US.
                            http://m.theage.com.au/comment/thank...15-gpjn0r.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, Pony. Mr. Perry penned a reasoned and persuasive article. I hope there are enough voices to make a difference this time.

Comment

A bit of advise I was given when I worked in the US, I started driving and was told if you have a traffic accident be very careful as they maybe a bit upset and have a gun. The 2nd thing was I was stopped for a traffic violation by the Sheriff, I wound the window down and the Sheriff stuck his head into the car and we had a chat and he was satisfied, and off he went, one of the occupants was from Detriot, he remarked that if he had stuck his head into the car like that in Detriot it would be blown off.

Last weekend in Chicargo 4 people shot dead and 50 injured, I'm afraid something must be done and some brave politician has got to sort this daily slaughter out,

Comment

Working...
                                X