Controversy of Miss World Contest 2013 Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversy of Miss World Contest 2013 Indonesia

Miss World has already started its month-long September show, which includes events on Indonesia’s only Hindu-majority island, Bali, and a final round on Sept. 28 at SICC (Sentul International Convention Center) near Jakarta, the country’s capital on the island of Java.
    The influential Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) rejected Indonesia being the host of Miss World contest. The council described its decision as recommendation to the government,and not an official demand. However, earlier in August, Indonesia’s much-feared, hardline Islamic Defenders Front vowed to stop the contest no matter where it is staged. Meanwhile, Miss World 2013, the 63rd edition of the Miss World pageant, has officially begun as contestants from around the world have started arriving in Bali, Indonesia.
    In my opinion, as long as it can adapt with local culture (mainly not exposing their bodies exclusively to the public) this event can continue.

Originally posted by b_santoso View Post
    In my opinion, as long as it can adapt with local culture (mainly not exposing their bodies exclusively to the public) this event can continue.
    Don't understand what you're trying to say here...
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
      Don't understand what you're trying to say here...
      Burqas, perhaps?
      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

[SIZE=2][FONT=verdana]It's just beyond me that people in Indonesia are more morally outraged by this contest but no public outcry over rampant corruption and religious discrimination. I know that some corruption cases and discrimination against some sections within society have become national headlines but things are getting more exasperatedly hard to understand when religious organisations can't be arsed with corruption and discrimination. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          Burqas, perhaps?
          Not really. I mean sensitive,sexual parts of the woman body

Comment

Never seen the boat displayed in any miss world contest......must be missing something

Comment

So you're saying that as long as they don't expose [COLOR=#ff0000]their bodies exclusively to the public[/COLOR] then it's OK. So in your opinion you would like them to give some [COLOR=#ff0000]private showings[/COLOR] of their bodies as well to make it OK - not just exclusively to the public.

Yes, what an excellent idea! What fun! How would one get tickets for these private showings, I wonder?

Comment

There is no controversy save in the minds of an ideologically driven, overly prudish and sexually repressed vocal minority who have no concept of how a free society operates. If the spectacle is not to your taste, pay it no mind and leave it to those who enjoy such contrivances. All this stuff about "cultural" offense is itself a contrivance, a stalking horse for those who abhor all things Western.

Comment

Bikinis banned at Miss World 2013
                  All of the more than 130 contestants will be required to wear Bali's traditional long sarongs instead of the sexy bikinis that are historically part of the competition, said Adjie S. Soeratmadjie of the RCTI, the official broadcaster and local organizer.
                  [COLOR=#000000]The chairwoman of the Miss World Organization, Julia Morley, confirmed that none of the 137 contestants would wear a bikini. "Indonesia is designing for us a very beautiful one-piece beachwear, and I'm very happy with them," she told The Associated Press by phone from London, adding that the pageant will include a special beachwear fashion show.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
                    [SIZE=2][FONT=verdana]It's just beyond me that people in Indonesia are more morally outraged by this contest but no public outcry over rampant corruption and religious discrimination. I know that some corruption cases and discrimination against some sections within society have become national headlines but things are getting more exasperatedly hard to understand when religious organisations can't be arsed with corruption and discrimination. [/FONT][/SIZE]
                    Pony, they would need to do something serious. Like corrupt with a bare shoulder. That would make the doo doo hit the fan.

Don't you love how MUI came out a week before the event to say something. They knew it was too late to do anything about it. So, they recommend and didn't demand. Right. Demand and it goes on you lose. Recommend and it goes on, the government made the decision and the MUI can point a finger at them. Religious politics.
                    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I find it interesting that even in Bali they choose to cover up with sarungs instead of showing full-on bikinis. I still remember that in most puras in Bali ladies are required to wear sarungs over their shorts. Bali is halfway oppressive as well, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimbus View Post
                        I still remember that in most puras in Bali ladies are required to wear sarungs over their shorts. Bali is halfway oppressive as well, I guess.
                        For real? You object to a dress code for visiting a place of worship? It's their pura, they can bloody well decide what dress code to impose on visitors. If you can't abide by it, don't go visit.

Comment

Like their eyes, hair, face?
                          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

It's hardly worth watching Miss World if there isn't a bikini section.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlarutlarut View Post
                              It's hardly worth watching Miss World if there isn't a bikini section.
                              Even with the bikini parade, its hardly worth watching.

BTW, if you intended to win the annoying competition with your new avatar, its definitely a contender.

Comment

Working...
                              X