Lion Air Crash in Bali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattyRedSox View Post
    But, apparently we all have some personal grudge against Lion Air... btw, have the results of the hair tests come back yet?
    Exactly, I think that you missed the point. I was being sarcastic, NONE of us have a grudge against Lion Air, we've been posting facts about them. Facts are facts.
    Sure am missing the point

Comment

. btw, have the results of the hair tests come back yet?
      The captain was an older and very experienced guy so I wouldn't get my hopes up about the hair test if I were you.
      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hopes up? I hope the tests come back clean. It would be a step in the right direction.
        On the other hand, your assumption that an older guy wouldn't abuse drugs doesn't make sense.
        QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

I have been flying Lion Air for years and have been flying them more than 100 times. So far, I've cheated death and will continue to do so, mainly because they offer the best connections to the places I need to go (Jogja, Denpasar, Singapura, Jakarta) from Manado and are very easy to book for me.

About the Lion Air pilots drug use: to be honest, it is pretty naive to think that it concerns only Lion Air pilots. Ice (crystal meth/shabu²) is by far the most popular drug in Indonesia and is widely consumed in clubs and any trendy places where one can find people with some kind of money.

Garuda pilots also tested drug positive to urine test. Pak Erminsyah Satar, the Garuda DirUt, admitted himself that Garuda could not guarantee 100% of its employees are free of drug consumption. However, when a test involving a Garuda pilot is positive, it is generally less reported by the medias. Why? Well Garuda is a State company, Lion Air is not. That makes a difference and may be a first lead to abn explanation.

The four Lion Air pilots who got busted in 2012 by BNN (the Narcotic Agency) were caught in specific raids conducted by BNN and these raids were obviously targeting Lion Air pilots. Did they do the same for Garuda pilots. I don't think so. If they would have, I have no doubt that they may have found something.

I remember a Tempo article a year ago, where a former pramugari/stewardess was interviewed and was stating that, to her knowledge, 6 out of 10 pilots (all companies) were occasional drug users. She was specifically mentioning the use of crystal meth and the clubbing attitude of the pilots. It is certainly not a figure that I would consider as definitively reliable, but it makes me wonder how serious is the problem in the whole industry. Pointing at Lion Air in the matter of pilots drug use is just pointing at the three that hides the forest.

They smoke before flying. So be it. I booze to forget it and pray to the Gods I don't believe in.
          atlantis
          Banned
          Last edited by atlantis; 19-04-13, 09:04.

Comment

Back in the news today, seems he headed back to the terminal, on any other week this wouldn't make the news.

http://regional.kompas.com/read/2013...pang.Berlarian

Comment

Who is considered the best and safest airline for domestic flights within Indo ?

Comment

Would you mind providing some links that support this? I have taken a look at their safety record after reading this thread and I didn't find references to loss of live.

Originally posted by pip View Post
                Lion Air have had seven accidents in the last 11 years, six of which involved total hull loss. In those seven accidents 25 people died and how many were injured or disabled I don't know.

The chances of a Lion Air crash are higher than I would like, I don't know of any Western airline that writes planes of at the rate of one every two years or so.

The chances of surviving a Lion Air accident are high. So if you are going to have a crash, Lion Air seem a good option in which to have one.

If you are a Lloyds underwiter and are asked to insure Lion Air the best option is walk away.
                Take my advice, I don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Niko Z. View Post
                  Would you mind providing some links that support this? I have taken a look at their safety record after reading this thread and I didn't find references to loss of live.

I already gave it in my post number 67 on this thread

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...e.php?var=5758

See accident [COLOR=#0000cd]30-Nov-2004[/COLOR]

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20041130-0

Fatalities 2 Crew and 23 passengers = 25 people dead

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                    Hey Red, I see the tail section Lion Air Logo seems to come through undamaged -- great promo shot for Lion.
                    Originally posted by redsnapr View Post
                    Credits to AFP. Photo was taken from a Colombian online newspaper.

BTW, airlines usually whiten all logos and other markings out of incident aircraft as quickly as possible. This one will be more difficult as long as the plane is in the water. Also, I would think twice before jumping into the water at Kuta beach with the contaminants that may be already leaking out of the wreckage, which hopefully will be appropriately removed out of the water without further breakage of the hull and wings. The remaining fuel inside the tanks may be enough to cause a small ecological disaster were it to sip out completely.
                    Yesterday, or perhaps the day before, there was a more recent Post or Globe photo of the beginning of the salvage work, I think. You guessed it -- the tail section was still prominent, but the Lion Air logo was gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      Yesterday, or perhaps the day before, there was a more recent Post or Globe photo of the beginning of the salvage work, I think. You guessed it -- the tail section was still prominent, but the Lion Air logo was gone.
                      Adam Air did a paint job on one of their crashed planes nearby the runway in, I think, Surabaya.
                      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Not sure what your point is...odd first post JJ.
                        QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

• I am impressed that JJ can get links up with pictures & not just words, I do it so rarely I forget every damn time how to do it!
                          Thumbs up from me JJ & welcome to the forum, shame my net is too slow to be bothered playing videos.
                          Cicak Magnet

Comment

• http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/...or-bali-crash/

"The preliminary report said that the 24-year-old second-in-command, who had 1,200 hours of flying experience, was in control during the descent into the airport and reported that he could not see the runway 274 meters above ground.
                            The captain then switched off the auto-pilot and the second-in-command handed over controls to him at 46 meters — or 1 minute, 6 seconds before the crash — after repeating that he could not see the runway. One second before the crash, the pilot commanded a “go-around” and attempted to abort the landing, but it was too late."

Comment

• For anyone short of bedtime reading the report is here
                              http://dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_aviati...S_Lion_Air.pdf
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Could one of the forum member pilots confirm whether Ngurah Rai has an ILS approach procedure? If there is one, is Lion Air qualified to operate ILS landings?

The crew obviously did not abort the landing approach at the published MDA of 465 ft of altitude and continued descending even though neither crew had the runway in sight. The PIC took over command of the airplane at 150 ft. AGL and called for a go around at 20 ft AGL. Way too late.
                                "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Working...
                                X