Lion Air Crash in Bali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lantern View Post
    Exactly how big are the dogs in your part of the world?
    They rarely have time to really grow to an adult age ya know... They are encouraged to visit the kitchen as soon as they have a bit of meat on the bones. Cows on the other hand are left alone much more longer. I really wonder how he may have been confused...
    atlantis
    Banned
    Last edited by atlantis; 07-08-13, 17:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlantis View Post
      I really wonder how he may have been confused...
      I agree. He may have been misquoted.

I also wonder about this quote from the captain: "[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Times]Iwan said he could smell “burning meat” as the jet ran over the animal'
      [/FONT][/COLOR]Could you really pick up smells from outside in a sealed cockpit?
      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Times]
        [/FONT][/COLOR]Could you really pick up smells from outside in a sealed cockpit?
        Air con was malfunctioning and they've opened the window?

The Globe and the Post rarely investigate and write an article by themselves. They usually translate the one they pick in the national press and the translation is sometimes amazing.

Comment

Here's the Globe report on it http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/...r-hitting-cow/

The captain is quoted:

"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Times]He said he thought there were dogs in front of the plane as it came into land, “but it turned out there were three cows wandering in the middle of the runway.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

Did he actually see the animals but mistook them for dogs and continued the landing?
          To be fair, the landing was at night, and at the speed he was going he couldn't have had more than a split second to see what it was. Also, at that point in time a go around was probably no longer an option. Whatever opinion I have regarding Indonesian carriers, this one can't be blamed on Lion or the pilot.

Also deer incursion happen occasionally in airports in North America, including in larger International ones, for example:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/us-airw...ew?id=11920902

Also Google searching for "deer on runway" will show more instance, but avoid seeing the images.

Comment

• Originally posted by dafluff View Post
            Whatever opinion I have regarding Indonesian carriers, this one can't be blamed on Lion or the pilot.
            I have no idea of the actual time line and circumstances so I can neither agree or disagree.

I see the BBC has gotten hold of the story and included a photo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-23606682
            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Burnt flesh smell inside the cockpit/cabin could possibly be attributed to an engine ingesting one of the cows. The environment control system takes air from the engine compressors to control the pressure and temperature inside the cabin.

The usual type of such an incident is a bird ingestion in mid air; this one would be the first time I hear of a cow ingestion. If this is the case in this incident, engine(s) heavy damage would be the other consequence.
              "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

• Originally posted by redsnapr View Post
                Burnt flesh smell inside the cockpit/cabin could possibly be attributed to an engine ingesting one of the cows. The environment control system takes air from the engine compressors to control the pressure and temperature inside the cabin.

The usual type of such an incident is a bird ingestion in mid air; this one would be the first time I hear of a cow ingestion. If this is the case in this incident, engine(s) heavy damage would be the other consequence.
                According to this report http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/pl...ing-cow-402421 the plane suffered minor damage so I would imagine no major damage to engines.

This photo would support that

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...ding-on-a-COW-
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• A cow going through an Engine!, well it is possible, the engine would mince the cow but you would have to change the engine, there is a series of photos on the internet of a loader in the States who got sucked into a 737 engine, not for the squeamish,

Comment

• This, obviously, was not a cow ingestion incident. That perceived smell might have come from under the pilot's pants.
                    "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Working...
                    X