X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mister Bule
    replied
    Originally posted by MattyRedSox View Post
    Yes and no Puspa. There seems to be this "value of human life" thing that varies in different parts of the world - however it is bad f----ing news when the pilots don't value their own lives enough. Most pilots I know are a bit crazy, but they take flying and responsibility really really really seriously. I know pilots from several Asian countries, Europe, the Middle East, NA, Europe, and Africa. I may have met a couple of Australians/kiwis too, but don't recall. The one thing with most of them, there is a personality type, you could have them trade carriers, they might have different cultures at home, but when it comes to the job, they are almost interchangeable about not screwing around with safety and their reputations as pilots.
    I really hope this is true: "when it comes to the job..." etc. Watched the film "Flight" recently and I know it is a fictional story, but if there are even a few like the Denzel Washington character out there, we should all be concerned. My guess though that most crashes have more to with mechanical failures and / or possible negligence or carelessness in maintenance than with pilot errors resulting from illicit activities and "personality disorders" or character flaws... but I could be wrong.

I will however continue to fly on local discount carriers in Indonesia as Garuda or other major airline prices are well beyond my means... on our holiday in December last year we used Lion as well as Batavia, CitiLink and Air Asia. But at least Air Asia's safety record is pretty good, is it not...?
    Last edited by Mister Bule; 13-04-13, 19:25.

Leave a comment:

• bad_azz
    replied
    Originally posted by ricky_id View Post
    I believe there'll be some global headlines at some time to come. Keyword: raid.

Anyway, off topic: since when do we have 300+ guests visiting the site at the same time? Is it glitch, hacking or this site becomes suddenly so popular?
    Its nothing new, there are regularly 250+ guests online + 20-40 + forum members...

Leave a comment:

• wombat
    replied
    This time of the year the wind down at Nusa Dua peninsula is easterly. 13km/h is the average. So the plane must be approaching runway 9 from the west. If it missed the runway, it would be in the surf west of the runway. If it overran the runway, it must be on the mangrove coast. So I reckon the report was right, it fell shorf of runway 9

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Thanks. Still seem to be conflicting reports of just how it ended up in the water.

Leave a comment:

• wombat
    replied
    http://news.detik.com/read/2013/04/1...hat?n991102605
    Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
    What report?

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Originally posted by wombat View Post
    just came off Lion at changi when I read this. Gosh
    It doesnt look like an overrun and a report suggest missed runway altogether
    What report?

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Originally posted by ricky_id View Post
    I believe there'll be some global headlines at some time to come. Keyword: raid.

Anyway, off topic: since when do we have 300+ guests visiting the site at the same time? Is it glitch, hacking or this site becomes suddenly so popular?
    There isn't much on it globally but the thread comes up in search engines. Many viewers may not be members but it does go to show the marketability of the site.

Leave a comment:

• wombat
    replied
    just came off Lion at changi when I read this. Gosh
    It doesnt look like an overrun and a report suggest missed runway altogether

Leave a comment:

• Malas
    replied
    Didn't Lion Air just place the largest aircraft order in history?

Lion Air set a record when it placed an order for 230 aircraft from Boeing, making this the largest order in terms of aircraft ordered as well the cost of the order. In November 2011, Lion Air and Boeing announced that the airline planned to buy 29 737-900ER and 201 737 MAX aircraft, with options for 150 more, valued at $21.7 billion at the time A firm order was signed on 14 February 2012, with the 737 MAX aircraft identified as 737 MAX 9s, making Lion Air the launch customer for that variant. By the time of the signing, the order's value had risen to $22.4 billion at list prices, the largest aircraft order in history

Leave a comment:

• ricky_id
    replied

Last edited by ricky_id; 13-04-13, 17:22.

Leave a comment:

• Shinta
    replied
    In less than 2 hours almost 7.500 people have read this post!!! wowwww!!!

Leave a comment:

• MattyRedSox
    replied
    Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
    The objective articles I've read about air safety worldwide suggest that it's not WHO you fly, it's WHERE you fly. In other words, it's not the airline, it's the part of the world you are in that determines how safe you are. Flying in Africa or SE Asia is more dangerous than flying in Europe or America, for example.

I am not sure I fully agree with that analysis. Yes, reputable airlines like Qantas have had (near) disasters in SE Asia too. And I know that Indonesia's air traffic control system, which affects ALL carriers, is not in line with international best practice. Still ... I would be a lot more worried flying Lion Air than I would be flying Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, or Qantas. I've done it and I will probably do it again, but it isn't my first choice.
    Yes and no Puspa. There seems to be this "value of human life" thing that varies in different parts of the world - however it is bad f----ing news when the pilots don't value their own lives enough. Most pilots I know are a bit crazy, but they take flying and responsibility really really really seriously. I know pilots from several Asian countries, Europe, the Middle East, NA, Europe, and Africa. I may have met a couple of Australians/kiwis too, but don't recall. The one thing with most of them, there is a personality type, you could have them trade carriers, they might have different cultures at home, but when it comes to the job, they are almost interchangeable about not screwing around with safety and their reputations as pilots.

Leave a comment:

• Puspawarna
    replied
    The objective articles I've read about air safety worldwide suggest that it's not WHO you fly, it's WHERE you fly. In other words, it's not the airline, it's the part of the world you are in that determines how safe you are. Flying in Africa or SE Asia is more dangerous than flying in Europe or America, for example.

I am not sure I fully agree with that analysis. Yes, reputable airlines like Qantas have had (near) disasters in SE Asia too. And I know that Indonesia's air traffic control system, which affects ALL carriers, is not in line with international best practice. Still ... I would be a lot more worried flying Lion Air than I would be flying Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, or Qantas. I've done it and I will probably do it again, but it isn't my first choice.

Leave a comment:

• bad_azz
    replied
    http://www.kspr.com/sns-ap-as-indone...0,190825.story
    Apparently it was the Bandung - Bali flight. Glad no fatalities.

Leave a comment:

• MattyRedSox
    replied
    I am not saying they all are drug users; however the first time I googled Lion Air (I look up carriers before using them), several articles about pilots using meth came up. This is a drug that it is often used for drivers and pilots who are tired/need to have stamina/be alert. If the flight crew are feeling overworked enough to use, I can only imagine what the work culture is like for the maintenance crew and other staff who aren't actually going up in the planes. I would have much less of a problem had a pilot or two been busted for pot smoking through a pee test. Meth, speed, and cocaine are bad red flags to me when used by pilots. I'd seriously prefer a pilot who had a joint at 9 in the evening before my 10 AM flight than a pilot who used meth last week.
    No offense meant towards your friends, Lantern, but I won't let my family fly Lion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X