Flooding - share some updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bakpia View Post
    I wonder if the flood has influence on the air traffic as well?

Singapore Airlines is following the situation closely to issue recommendations and advisories to passengers.

Jakarta floods
    "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Originally posted by travellingchez View Post
      This is a map showing all the flooded areas today.http://www.aifdr.org/wp-content/uplo..._1_13_0600.jpg
      This is a list of the affected areas https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DlzeTBHTm5EQ3c
      Thanks for the links,TravelingChez. The blued in flood areas on the map must only be the worst places. I see that our area Pasar Rebo is not included in the flooded neighborhoods and our house is high and dry, but a few hundred meters down the hill our PakRT's place and two or three dozen others are flooded out with a meter or more of dirty water in the house. I suspect that Kelapa Gading, Kayu Putih and many others also have distressed areas even though they are also "white" on the map. Take care everyone who has to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapr View Post
        Singapore Airlines is following the situation closely to issue recommendations and advisories to passengers.

Jakarta floods
        I just read that KLM is offering passengers who want to travel from and to Jakarta between 17-21 january can rebook their ticket...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
          The worst part are the snakes seeking dry grounds. Not fun finding cobras in your cupboard after floods recess.
          Never found reptiles after flooding before, but I did find some white enoki-like mushrooms growing in the wardrobe during the big flood of 1996. I still wonder if they were edible...

In other flood-related news, I have three wedding invites tomorrow, two of which are now postponed because of the floods. As someone who's planning a wedding, I can't help but feel like they should know better than to set a wedding date during the rainy season in Jakarta. So much for "hari bagus"! *cackles*

Comment

Should avoid ceremonies every five years or so during the rainy season (2002 / 2007 / 2012-13)
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Good lord did thursday went to shit... I got stuck in Kelapa Gading on my way to work. Once the water got halfway up my bumper, I parked in a mall and waited for it to subside...but it didn't.

Had to walk home from Kelapa Gading to Cawang and left the car in the mall for a couple of days.

Hope you folks had a better time than I did!

Comment

Originally posted by rizzer View Post
                Had to walk home from Kelapa Gading to Cawang and left the car in the mall for a couple of days.
                Lots of hotels there isn't there?

Comment

My newly renovated bedroom is ruined...barely 1 1/2 years old. Water was about 10 inches inside the house...

Now just leaving all the windows open, ripped out all the carpets and let the fan on..

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                    Lots of hotels there isn't there?
                    yea but I got a baby and a toddler waiting at home :/

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post
                    My newly renovated bedroom is ruined...barely 1 1/2 years old. Water was about 10 inches inside the house...

Now just leaving all the windows open, ripped out all the carpets and let the fan on..
                    Sorry to hear, mate...our home in Semarang used to get flooded annually and I know how much that sucked

Comment

yea but I got a baby and a toddler waiting at home :/
                      Ah I see...sometimes I forget that people have lives Sorry about that.

Comment

I'd take a salary cut and move out of Java altogether. One reason for flooding is that, with non-existent planning and enforcement, the weight of crushing population density really makes itself felt. I know many former-Jakartans who have left for Bali, and are much the happier and better for it.

Comment

Sorry to hear, mate...our home in Semarang used to get flooded annually and I know how much that sucked
                          No problem. Thanks for the concern. Can't do much about the damaged walls (my walls are made out of gympsum/sheetrock). However, at least I managed to rescue the important stuff like my KITAS, important documents...and my wine collection lol.

Comment

Oh, you have a wine collection! Need some help with the sheet rock?

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                              Oh, you have a wine collection! Need some help with the sheet rock?
                              I shouldn't have made it sound so expensive..I mean, I have only a few bottles....not necessarily the best brands, but they are more drinkable than the acidic Hatten Red. and when i said a 'collection' i meant...I have five bottles...three of them brought from back home in the US...which will take a whooole lot more than just doing sheetrocks for me to open those.

but...I will open one or two of them..to be shared among friends while we all brainstorm how to avoid this kind of flood in 2019.
                              Last edited by Banana72; 21-01-13, 17:55.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, but the next water problem could come as soon as the next rainy season. Another thought: this season is far from over. Take you time with the repairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X