Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escape Jakarta and go hiking

Hello Everyone...
    I've been in Jakarta for almost 1 year now, and have lately been feeling the urge to escape more regularly for weekend hiking trips. I've been to Gunung Salak, Gunung Gede and Anak Krakatau so far. Good information on hiking is scant, and whilst it is great fun, the whole experience can be destroyed by hideous traffic, bad timing decisions, and mountain lodges that co-host hiking guests with some horrible corporate dangdut outbound event with loud karaoke equipment and stereo DJ hosts you want a sniper to take out! I've made lots of mistakes, but also learnt from each experience.

This is an open invitation for interested and interesting people who would like to get involved in exploring wilderness hiking. The reality of group dynamics however predicates that everyone will have more fun if the group shares some common values, and some commonality. So if you can identify with the following list, please make contact.
    • Aged between 30-45 (male and female mix, and inclusively from anywhere)
    • Singles/couples/married couples (This is genuinely a friendship/ social event posting)
    • A group of 8 people per trip is a nice group
    • People who like the idea of sharing a bottle of wine with friends and good conversation in the mountain evening is preferable.
    • Non-Smokers (or at least smokers who respect non-smokers and their pursuit of some fresh air).
    • People with liberal, thoughtful, logical and well reasoned world views (as opposed to irrational, bigoted, fundamentalist views)
    • No extreme levels of fitness required, and no alpha type extreme jungle athletes necessary (You will be disappointed in the leisurely hike).
    • Absolutely no-one who is looking for an opportunity to sell anything, or proselytise. No-one who is interested in discriminating against anyone, racially slander anyone, vilify anyone, or etc (You get the idea I'm sure)

Scheduled trip will be organised collaboratively, dates according to agreement, organisation shared. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
    Woody

Can't imagine a more dull group of folks to hang around with.
    Cicak Magnet

Comment

Hi woody,

Great idea. Do you realise there is already a group that does this? Called Java Lava.

Comment

Yes but they let old people participate in Java Lava. And after all, who likes old people?

Comment

Compatible fitness levels are more important than a particular age range.
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
            Yes but they let old people participate in Java Lava. And after all, who likes old people?
            Oooooh. Like me you mean?

Comment

I dunno - are you over 45?

Comment

I had to giggle at the ageist comments coupled with the no bigotry comments... surely the OP should be a politician...
                Last edited by bad_azz; 28-03-14, 17:27.
                Cicak Magnet

Comment

Well to be fair, the OP is also biased against youngsters. Heck, there's no one in my entire family who qualifies for his/her group.

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                    I had to giggle at the ageist comments coupled with the no bigotry comments... surely the OP should be a politician...
                    And this "No-one who is interested in discriminating against anyone,"
                    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

oh & by the way, welcome to the forum Woody, we have to be gentle with newbies - its the rules... but an opening post like yours kinda makes us wanna take the gloves off a bit.
                      Especially the OLD people who are creeping into their coffins, such as me & pusp...
                      Cicak Magnet

Comment

Thanks.... I'm not unaccustomed to the gloves being off. With 5,633 posts I assume you've been here some time, and so any harsh wit is forgiven. If you manage one post a week I calculate you've been an Indonesian expat for 108 years, which would taint anyone and make the idea of hiking anywhere daunting.

Comment

The idea of hiking is not daunting at all, however I am far too old to be included in your little cozy wine-tasting group of non-discriminating non-bigots
                          As for being here 108 years.. it feels like it at times x
                          Luckily for me I live very close to some great places to go hiking.
                          From your OP you seem to have a touch too much of the control-freak about you to be much fun to hang out with x
                          Nice idea though. Had you considered the Hash or would they be too fit for you?
                          Last edited by bad_azz; 29-03-14, 12:10.
                          Cicak Magnet

Comment

I can't imagine that bad_azz is daunted by very much!

Nor are all the old people at Java Lava ... they go on some seriously strenuous trips.

Comment

My apologies bad_azz. It's impolite to suggest such advanced years. My OP is simply a reaction to experience... As sociologically interesting as it can be to find yourself trapped on a weekend with a retired military despot with a world view that is somewhere between Hitler and David Koresh, drinking a bottle of Jim Beam before retiring to the nearby tent with his 19 yr old 'companion' to share some god awful brutality sound effects with the rest of the group, I'm rather happy to err on the side of a control freak label. Call it dull.... But one experience is enough. As for Hash, I'm just terrified of their nick-names. I ran away after they knighted some guy festering scrotum whilst pouring a bucket of pussy like substance over his head for some tribal initiation. Jeez.... It's a hike in the jungle, and the delicate task of deterring the crazy people we're probably happy to escape for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X