Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for a Western male moving to Indonessia. I work 2 month on/2 month off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for a Western male moving to Indonessia. I work 2 month on/2 month off.

Hello,

I have never been to Indonesia.. Does anyone have any tips on what I should prepare myself for? Do I need a Visa or anything? I do have a passport. I only speak English, yes I plan on learning the language. Will my salary be enough?

I'm a 29 year old single male. I love gardening, surfing, spearfish and boating. I'm a Merchant Marine sailor, I work 2 months on and 2 months off. I can make anywhere from $6,000 - $9,00 per month (but i only work around 6 months a year). I'm not the "single and ready to mingle type" I actually really want to settle down, but America (and Americans females are tough/spoiled). The only thing stopping me from moving there is fear of the unknown.

I never envisioned myself buying a home in America and raising an all American family, that's just not me.

1. How much money should I take with me for start up to rent a place and find a basic job (not that I will need a job, but I may want to work on a or as a captain to meet people).

2. Are there realtor companies to help me find a place (like they have here in USA), or would I just go out and search craigslist?

3. How much is rent typically? near the beach / surfing?

4. Also how could I get citizenship to live there ?

5. I only know English. Will this create major barriers for me?

6. What cities are best for a new-to-the-country American like me and with moderate internet service etc?
    [SIZE=5][FONT=arial black]Where should I fly into and stay at first?[/FONT][/SIZE]

Jakarta, Indonesia (JKT-All Airports)
    Ambon, Indonesia (AMQ-Pattimura)
    Babo, Indonesia (BXB)
    Balikpapan, Indonesia (BPN-Sepinggan Intl.)
    Banda Aceh, Indonesia (BTJ-Sultan Iskandarmuda)
    Bandar Lampung, Indonesia (TKG-Radin Inen II)
    Bandung, Indonesia (BDO-Husein Sastranegara Intl.)
    Banjarmasin, Indonesia (BDJ-Syamsudin Noor)
    Batam Batu Besar, Indonesia (BTH-Hang Nadim)
    Baubau, Indonesia (BUW)
    Last edited by shmooyshmoo; 22-06-13, 10:14. Reason: where should i fly into?

If you intend to work in Indonesia then you need a work permit.

To enter the country as a tourist you can get a Visa when you arrive at the airport, the cost is $25, this gives you 30 days in the country, it can be extended for another 30 days without leaving the country.

Your salary is more than enough to live a very comfortable life here.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Seems pretty random that you've never been to and don't even have the most rudimentary info on Indonesia, but want to visit and possibly settle in Indonesia? Why Indonesia?

In case you're serious, I recommend reading everything you can find here: http://www.expat.or.id/

It is a sister site to this forum, and will cover just about everything you need to know. After that, have a month long vacation in Indonesia to see things for yourself. US Passport holders can show up at designated airports (any major ones) and be issued a Visa On Arrival, valid for 30 days and extendable for another 30 days.

1) This depends on where you want to live and your lifestyle. $1000/month is a ballpark number. This will cover rent just about anywhere in Indonesia, food, utilities, etc. You may need additional money for things like health insurance, trips abroad, visa/agents. To be sure most Indonesian, and many expats live on far less than that. As a foreigner, you are not allowed to work in Indonesia without proper permits. Details are easily to find on this forum as well as on the website linked above.

2) There are many real estate agencies in Indonesia, some which are licensed companies from abroad. Virtually all of them have English speaking agents. Again the website above has details.

3) Rents can vary widely depending on location and facility. It is probably better for you to have a number in mind/budgeted and find something in that price range you like. Literally you can go from $100/mo to $10000/mo.

4) Citizenship is available to permanent residents (i.e. you are here on a permanent resident visa, KITAS or KITAP) who have been in Indonesia for a minimum period of 5 consecutive years. Please note that Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship, so legally speaking, you must give up US citizenship if you want to become Indonesian.

5) Basic English is spoken in major cities and tourist spots. Beyond that you will need a translator/friend/wife etc. However, Indonesian is a fairly easy language to learn, and most expat here have a good command after a couple of years.

6) Internet service is poor in Indonesia, even in tourist spots such as Bali. Download speeds are a fraction of what they are in the US. As for where to live, it would be easy to recommend Jakarta or Bali, which are easily the most "international" regions of Indonesia. Any visit to Indonesia is likely to originate in those two places, so you will visit them anyway. Beyond that you should travel and see for yourself. It is hard to recommend something without any criterias given beyond "moderate internet service".

Comment

entrance ...

I think your first entrance could be in Jakarta because its the International gate of Indonesia and then you can continue from there.
        - regarding the language,you don't have to be worrried. most people here could understand English maybe even if they couldn't reply fluently
        and just to let you know, internet here is pretty crap

Comment

[QUOTE=shmooyshmoo;343495]
          1. How much money should I take with me for start up to rent a place and find a basic job (not that I will need a job, but I may want to work on a or as a captain to meet people).

Depends on your life style and how nice a place you want to rent. $5k-10k should be plenty but you probably don't want to carry that much cash so better to just withdraw money from your US bank account using an ATM card. As others said, you can't work in Indo without a work permit.

2. Are there realtor companies to help me find a place (like they have here in USA), or would I just go out and search craigslist?

Yes. And craigslist is not used much except by Americans so it probably won't be very helpful. Those posting there usually know the looker is a newbie and more likely to overpay for any service.

3. How much is rent typically? near the beach / surfing?

Depends where. I would recommend you try either Bali, Lombok or way east Java.

4. Also how could I get citizenship to live there ?

I don't think that after you learn more you will want to give up your US citizenship for Indonesian.

5. I only know English. Will this create major barriers for me?

Not a big deal as long as if you plan on staying you learn basic bahasa.

6. What cities are best for a new-to-the-country American like me and with moderate internet service etc?
          [SIZE=5][FONT=arial black]Where should I fly into and stay at first?[/FONT][/SIZE]

As said in 3 above, I recommend you try Bali first.
          "My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine.

Comment

Originally posted by shmooyshmoo View Post
            Will my salary be enough? ... I'm a Merchant Marine sailor, I work 2 months on and 2 months off. I can make anywhere from $6,000 - $9,00 per month (but i only work around 6 months a year)....How much money should I take with me for start up to rent a place and find a basic job (not that I will need a job, but I may want to work on a or as a captain to meet people).
            I am confused by these statements. Do you already have a job that you plan to keep while you live in Indonesia? Are you wealthy enough to live without working at all? Are you planning to work 2 jobs (keeping your current work and finding something else in Indonesia that fits your schedule)?

The bottom line is that in order to maintain a long term residence in Indonesia, you will need the kind of visa that can best be obtained either through a job with a work permit attached, or by marrying a local. You can't get a work permit to live here and work as a Merchant Marine, as far as I know. You might be able to get a job related to captaining in the hospitality industry, I'm not sure. You'd have to offer skills that aren't available locally.

Marrying local would be no trouble at all. Of course, I'm sure a future wife would like to think she meant more to you than just a way to secure permission live in Indonesia. And I don't know about "spoiled", but Indonesian women can be just as "tough" as Americans - if by "tough" you mean able to think independently. If by "tough" you mean "uninterested in lipstick and other external accoutrements of what's considered classically feminine", well...hard to say for sure, but I'll take a guess and say that the per capita lipstick consumption is probably higher in Indonesia than it is in the US. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by dafluff View Post
              Seems pretty random that you've never been to and don't even have the most rudimentary info on Indonesia, but want to visit and possibly settle in Indonesia? Why Indonesia?
              Good remark. People have no idea that this is NOT a foreigner friendly country. Has nothing to do with the locals and their friendliness but all with isolation, protection and administrative overhead. Then a Malaysia or Thailand might be much better suited. Or Latin America.

Originally posted by phloeys View Post
              most people here could understand English maybe even if they couldn't reply fluently
              You are kidding right? Besides 'Hello Mister, how are you?' the majority speaks and understands no English whatsoever.

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
              I am confused by these statements.
              Me too. Is this really serious or just a brain fart without any preparation whatsoever? Or did he use a map with a dart arrow?
              [FONT=arial black]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Why Indonesia? As many here know, I can't stand it. If you think that it'll be a cheap place to relax when you're not two months at sea, think again. The number of headaches that you'll encounter will make it anything but relaxing. Personally, I'd envy your situation, but not in the way you're probably thinking, I'd be happy to escape Jakarta every two months for life on board a merchant marine boat.
                You should visit Lombok for a vacation though, and the Gillis.
                QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

Bali would be your best bet if you have never been to Indonesia before.
                  Tourist orientated, more chance of finding English speaking people, both bule and local, good beaches for surfing, Hindu based country so more tolerant of the western idioms and if you can ride a motorbike then not too hard to get around.
                  Suggest you try for a month and get a feel for the place.
                  You could try our place in Bali for a start
                  www.kennethakost.com

Cheers
                  Ken
                  Last edited by soobline; 03-07-13, 02:58. Reason: crap at spelling

Comment

My post deleted again ??

Comment

soobline : I am afraid Bali is not a country, it's more of an island.......which major population are Hindu. And be careful with the advertisement Mods will likely warn you at anytime soon all in all i believe your answer helps the OP somehow
                      [COLOR=#ffa07a]Aim for the highest cloud so that if you miss it, you will hit a lofty mountain [/COLOR]- [COLOR=#008000]Maori proverb[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                        My post deleted again ??
                        Just sent you a PM, Scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by ScooterIndo View Post
                          My post deleted again ??
                          Are you seriously asking?
                          With 2000+ posts submitted you are surely aware that saying in a post that someone is dumb would trigger a moderation of your post, aren't you?

Comment

I think maybe we scared the OP away.

Perhaps he wrote more or less the same note to expat message boards in Thailand, the Philippines, etc. and got a more encouraging response.

Or maybe he's on a ship, sailing the high seas, and won't have internet access until he returns to port.

Where are you, schmooy? Please come back to us!

Comment

Originally posted by ichbinnina View Post
                              soobline : I am afraid Bali is not a country, it's more of an island.......which major population are Hindu. And be careful with the advertisement Mods will likely warn you at anytime soon all in all i believe your answer helps the OP somehow
                              True that on both counts but if the OP ever returns he may find it useful as a stepping stone into Indonesia..

Cheers
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X