X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by jstar View Post
    Yeah, they need Lebaran money so that time of year is risky.

It's kind of hilarious (or sad, depends how you look at it), that nobody has a clue which direction or road has priority on moast intersections. Many here even think a car taking a turn to the right has priority over the car approaching and going straight.
    On my way to the office on of the road end in a T corner (all raod have same size) and I turn right for my way to the office.
    On the left it have nothing, now they are putting beton, before that it was a muddy road. Which have for result to have the main traffic turning right.
    Who have the priority on the corner? The one going straight? No!
    The priority goes to the way of the highest traffic.

I have realize that couple of month ago on this corner because it is quite visible, even the one coming from the right and going straight would make a "stop" like if they don't have the priority to cut the main traffic way.

After realizing it, I take a look at other road corner and it seem to be what it is apply (here in Samarinda) at most corner.
    The only trouble is it is very subjective and it can change through time.

Leave a comment:

• hanung665
    replied
    Yaa..that's is so factual and so sad . I do drive and ride a lot and sometime can't hold myself and shout to some stupid driver just to make the traffic get better.

By the way, it's cloudy here at Jakarta, I wish it will rain

@hanung665

Leave a comment:

• jstar
    replied
    Yeah, they need Lebaran money so that time of year is risky.

It's kind of hilarious (or sad, depends how you look at it), that nobody has a clue which direction or road has priority on moast intersections. Many here even think a car taking a turn to the right has priority over the car approaching and going straight.

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by hanung665 View Post
    As mentioned by Jstar, training is not mandatory before getting a licence, even more, here, we can get a licence although we barely able to drive *sigh*
    People, mostly in big city like Jakarta, Surabaya, Jogjakarta, Padang, or Medan, and mostly motor biker, have patience on road, everyone want to be fast, patience is pricey here
    But, if you are bule, don't try to follow them, police tend to try to give you ticket and wishing you ask for negotiation.."titip sidang"..
    Me, always try to behave as good as possible on road..and for that I have to have sevenfolds patience..

Anyway, it's Jakarta
    I'm in Samarinda

I never saw a policeman giving a ticket to whoever here, except in Ramadan time and when they do road block for catch people without proper paper.

I do my best for follow the road rules, I'm not particularly slow, but I'm not reckless.
    I'm often called "crazy" in regards of my driving style because I don't slow down in bad road and speed bump is something I may use as jump (depending of situation and circumstance).

The part that make me want to scream to other driver is when they create dead lock at corner at repetition day after day and nobody think it would be nice use "another way".
    When car follow closely each other while crossing a corner (without light) and inevitably stop in the corner making a line of car completely blocking the traffic... make me wish to run over their car!

Leave a comment:

• hanung665
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
    Hi Han, welcome in the forum, How was your day?

Talking about "crazy bule "... I hate when I stop not so close of a corner for allow a big truck to be able to turn... for have 10 motorcycle behind me who goes in front of me, blocking the road to the truck and create a dead lock... really want shout to them!!! But hey! it's THEIR road!
    As mentioned by Jstar, training is not mandatory before getting a licence, even more, here, we can get a licence although we barely able to drive *sigh*
    People, mostly in big city like Jakarta, Surabaya, Jogjakarta, Padang, or Medan, and mostly motor biker, have patience on road, everyone want to be fast, patience is pricey here
    But, if you are bule, don't try to follow them, police tend to try to give you ticket and wishing you ask for negotiation.."titip sidang"..
    Me, always try to behave as good as possible on road..and for that I have to have sevenfolds patience..

Anyway, it's Jakarta

Leave a comment:

• jstar
    replied
    Yep, not blocking a crossing is not really anyone's concern. Same with these U-turns; three lanes are used to make one U-turn, giant bottleneck. And the cars getting through, accelerate so slowly that they prevent others following them, and/or move two lanes to the left immediately so all traffic is affected on the other side as well. That is probably all because training is not mandatory before getting a license; the insight is simply missing. Or a piece of the brain that considers possible dangers.

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Hi Han, welcome in the forum, How was your day?

Talking about "crazy bule "... I hate when I stop not so close of a corner for allow a big truck to be able to turn... for have 10 motorcycle behind me who goes in front of me, blocking the road to the truck and create a dead lock... really want shout to them!!! But hey! it's THEIR road!

Leave a comment:

• hanung665
    replied
    Hi all..I'm new here..

Leave a comment:

• jstar
    replied
    Talking about road conditions; our street but also all parallel roads were in pretty bad condition. And suddenly they applied new aspal to our street. (Of course without notification so many households were stuck with their car for a full day.) Now the people in all other streets are complaining to the Pak RT why they only did our street. His answer: I don't know, perhaps because of the bule?

Talking about that, I was kidding with my Balinese neighbor. I told him:You're lucky, your house increased in value 1M (milyar), that's 500 juta for having the bule as neighbor and 500 juta for the new aspal. He seriously agreed.

Also, we are the only street where all street lights are in working order. Nobody of the neighbors and even the SatPam knew how to have it fixed, they told me PLN. When I called the PLN, they told me there was a separate company responsible for those street lights and gve me the number. All so easy. (Well, the first times they came to replace the lampu without testing afterwards, assuming that was it. So they had to come back three times to really fix it. And I kept on calling; still not working!)

So all these things are perfectly possible. There often is some form of apathy though. And home owners don't care about street conditions; it's the maid's problem to keep it clean. Also, I had to tell the drivers not to destroy the new aspal; what we learn in driving school in the west, is not to turn the wheels when the car is not moving. That's from the time there was no power steering yet, but is also makes sense for conservation of the tires and the road surface. The first couple of days after the new aspal, I went outside with two drivers to 'repair': lay down a plank and start jumping on it to flatten the surface and to remove the tire tracks. Crazy bule.
    Last edited by jstar; 12-12-14, 15:03.

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    My office is quite quite far outside of the city on the river shore. Some use a klotok (taxi boat) offer by the company for going to the office but you need to wake up very early for use it... and I like my lazy morning!

From the main road (paved) we have 3 choice of road for reach the office.
    All the 3 road use to be very muddy and bumpy and I use to take the boat.
    After a while, my wish fo being able to sleep a little longer in morning lead my to try the "road" way.
    The first one was very muddy and slippery. It have a part where you needed walk aside the motor for being sure of not falling inside the small river/open sewer just aside the road. I made my choice for the second one, more long ride but very less slippery.
    I use it for almost a year, it even scrap my rear suspension, I had need to change it.

One day, it have a lot of truck who start to pass on a section of my road. They were digging I don't know what. This make the road becoming as much muddy and slippery than the first road.
    This lead my to discover the 3rd road, a little more far it is call the "jalan batu bara" (coal road)... because it is build for and use for coal transport from a mine to the river shore. The first time I use it it was a wonderful, the road was made of ground, flat, hard and dry. I was able to drive at 60km/h without trouble.
    The next day, I definitively take this 3rd road... but it have rain on the evening, transforming the wonderful road into a nightmare of ice (the hard mud surface become like ice when wet). Despite running very slow I have fall, no hurt, almost nothing broke on the motor... but arrive in the office with the shirt full of mud!
    A month later I have try it again, it was dry, but they wet some part for some rare house on the road don't get too much dust... and I fall again (at low speed). I never use this road again.

In the 2 last year they have start to cover all road in beton. Start to... which mean: a little here, a little there...
    Swithcing from the second road to the first was my only option available, despite to have to cross a huge mud pit on this road.
    Later they fill the mud pit and paved 3/4 of the this road with beton.

Yesterday, on my way to the office, I meet a road block, they start to put beton on the last quart of the road, but this time we don't have side road or alternative road to reach the office.
    No, choice, It's walking for 20 minute (with my backpack containing my computer) or use the second road. I choose the second road.
    At my surprise they have also start to paved this road, a part in the beginning, a part in the end, and now they seem to want paved it all... starting by the middle!

I was able to reach the office, but while the day we were advise this road have been closed.
    Which didn't let other option than use the third road for going back home.
    I was seriously stressed... and relieve to find the road all dry and ride-able despite being more bumpy than 2 year ago.

This morning I decide to park the motor with many other of the office nearby the road block on the first road and walk (20 minute)
    My backpack is so heavy, I arrived at the office with my shirt all wet like if it was raining!

I already advise my coworker (I don't really have a boss) I would be "sick" tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• vania~
    replied
    Same trick than with cleaning poop, the hand inside a reversed plastic bag, pick up and reverse the plastic bag to is right side with the "poop" inside.
    You can also cover the "poop" with tissue before picking it up if it's too much disgusting, it reduce the contact/feeling with the "poop".

Recently the family in law feed them even less than habitually, no more left over other than some feather.
    thats what i did when i clean my dog's poop,
    dog's poop isnt so smelly like cat's poop lol...

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by mindblown View Post
    whoa that would be nasty to clean up haha
    Same trick than with cleaning poop, the hand inside a reversed plastic bag, pick up and reverse the plastic bag to is right side with the "poop" inside.
    You can also cover the "poop" with tissue before picking it up if it's too much disgusting, it reduce the contact/feeling with the "poop".

Recently the family in law feed them even less than habitually, no more left over other than some feather.

Leave a comment:

• mindblown
    replied
    Pff, nothing some Lisinopril can't fix...
    yeah tried that and got few not pretty side effects currently on no med
    just thinking this is a wake up call to change my lifestyle and my diet

By the number of left over of rat, mouse, lizard, bird find in front of the house... I can tell you, my cat are hunting!
    whoa that would be nasty to clean up haha

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    Originally posted by mindblown View Post
    I am in zombie state,
    tried to drink decaf they taste like crap
    I had to cut down my caffeine intake because my blood pressure is high
    ah i feel so old!!
    Sometime I feel it's not so bad to have a low pressure blood condition... At the best doctor would prescribe me coffee

Leave a comment:

• PhilippeD
    replied
    We have a huge (approx. 1 meter) biawak living in the sewer in front of our house. In the busy city. It is a kind of monitor lizard (varan); beautiful animal with that tongue coming out. Like a miniature komodo dragon. But very shy.

I'm always shaking my head when I read about people (mainly expats) trying to save an abandoned kitten here. In our street alone, a cul-de-sac, there will be like 35 cats. Kittens are born and get abandoned and become road kill every day. It doesn't make it right but that's the way it is. Those cats never catch any rats or mice btw; they prefer going through the garbage....
    By the number of left over of rat, mouse, lizard, bird find in front of the house... I can tell you, my cat are hunting!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X