Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone! (South Jakarta)

Hello Everyone,

My wife (Ann) and I (Lance) have moved here for work; I am the director of a recently established NGO in Jakarta. I am from the USA and recently retired from Federal law enforcement; my wife is from the Philippines and wants to start a personal trainer side-gig. We have been living in Southeast Asia for three years and just recently left Kuala Lumpur. We like experiencing new things, fun restaurants, the outdoors, and meeting new friends. We live in the Senayan area of South Jakarta. Hope to hear from some of you soon. Cheers! Lance & Ann

Originally posted by sa395611 View Post
    ...my wife...wants to start a personal trainer side-gig...

Welcome to the Forum . I live in Bandung .

You didn't ask , but because I don't want you to get in trouble : assuming you two have Work Visa/Work KITAS , even so please be alerted that your wife cannot legally do any side-gig in Indonesia .

From Google : ...side gig, is an additional job that a person takes in addition to their primary job in order to supplement their income.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

My wife (Ann) and I (Lance) have moved here for work; I am the director of a recently established NGO in Jakarta. I am from the USA and recently retired from Federal law enforcement; my wife is from the Philippines and wants to start a personal trainer side-gig. We have been living in Southeast Asia for three years and just recently left Kuala Lumpur. We like experiencing new things, fun restaurants, the outdoors, and meeting new friends. We live in the Senayan area of South Jakarta. Hope to hear from some of you soon. Cheers! Lance & Ann
      Enjoy Jakarta.
      My wife is from South Jakarta and we will be visiting in a couple of months.
      My opinion of the city: dirty, noisy, congested, ugly, unwanted attention, gossipy. And conversely, tasty food, interesting conversations, relaxing malls and restaurants, good service.

Side gigs is all you see everywhere in Jakarta. According to my wife, there is very little government regulation. If you feel like throwing down a table somewhere and selling some stuff, you can just do it (within certain unwritten rules). For example, one lady we know put up a food stand outside a lawyer's office, with permission and a small payment to the lawyer.

Whenever I go to Jakarta I make it a point to grab a flight and get a relaxing beach elsewhere. The place is really like paradise (outside of Jakarta :-)).

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Welcome Lance and Ann.

Comment

Originally posted by smickerie View Post
          (1) Side gigs is all you see everywhere in Jakarta.

(2) According to my wife, there is very little government regulation.

(3) If you feel like throwing down a table somewhere and selling some stuff, you can just do it (within certain unwritten rules)...

(1) I assume you are talking about Indonesians doing side gigs , right ?

(2) I disagree . Is she a lawyer ? I am not a lawyer but have read many Indonesian laws and regulations .

(3) You should not tell others to do illegal things . You may be getting in troubles yourself too .

------------------------------------------------------

UU no.6 Year 2011 (Indonesian Immigration Law) - not an official translation
          Article 122
          Shall be punished with imprisonment of up to five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose of the Visa/KITAS/e-ITAS/KITAP given to him/her ;

b. any person who ordered or provide opportunity for the foreigner to misuse or engage in activities inconsistent with intent or purpose of the Visa/KITAS/e-ITAS/KITAP given to him/her.

-------------------------------------------------------

PerMen no.10 Year 2018 (Manpower Regulation)
          Article 5
          A foreign worker must :
          a. have education diploma that is related to the qualifications required for the work position ;
          b. have a competency certificate or have work experience of at least 5 years related to the qualifications required for the work position ;
          c. transfer his/her expertise to a designated Indonesian worker;
          d. have an Indonesian Tax Registration Number if to work for more than 6 months; and
          e. have Work Visa/e-ITAS issued by the Indonesian Immigration Department .

-------------------------------------------------------

UU no.13 , Year 2003 (Manpower Law)
          CHAPTER VIII - EMPLOYMENT OF FOREIGN WORKER
          ARTICLE 42
          (1) Every company that employs foreign worker is under an obligation to obtain written permission from the Manpower Minister (Work Permit folowed by Work Visa/KITAS) .
          (2) An employer who is an individual person is prohibited from employing foreign worker.
          Poster's Note : to work a foreigner needs to be hired by relatively big company (PT , PT PMA) , and in general cannot be hired by more than one company at a time

Article 185
          (1) Every person who violates what is stipulated under subsection (1) and subsection (2) of Article 42, Article 68, subsection (2) of article 69, Article 80, Article 82, subsection (1) of Article 90, Article 139, Article 143, and subsection (4) and subsection (7) of Article 160 shall be subjected to a criminal sanction in jail for a minimum of 1 (one) year and a maximum of 4 (four) years and/or a fine of a minimum of Rp100,000,000 (one hundred million rupiah) and a maximum of Rp400,000,000 (four hundred million rupiah).

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html (About work)

https://www.livinginindonesiaforum.o...-you-write-say (Be Careful Of What You Write/Say)

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone, let me clarify what I meant by “side-gigs.” We are in the process of getting our work permits/visas for a position I am taking with an Indonesian Foundation/NGO. We are here on current business visas while this process is completed. My wife likes exercise and fitness and has been thinking of getting certified as a personal trainer for personal development. She is not thinking of “working” in the classic sense but just leading exercise with her friends (she does it already for nothing). I call it a “side-gig” as it takes up time is all. I am retired and now working again, so we don’t need the money. Thanks again for the comments. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X