Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arriving in Bogor – place to stay during the first days/weeks (October 2013)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arriving in Bogor – place to stay during the first days/weeks (October 2013)?

Dear All,

We – this is Nadine, Robin (8 years), Ari (3 years) and myself – are going to move to Bogor at the end of September. I am going to join the faculty of Bogor Agricultural University (IPB), my sons are going to attend the International School of Bogor (ISB).

After our arrival in Bogor, we are going to search for a nice house with garden in a green setting not too far away from ISB and from IPB (Darmaga Campus). As I understand from other postings in this forum, Sentul seems to be a nice area, right? Any other suggestions?

So far, we’ve been planning to start our housing search based at a hotel centrally located in Bogor. However, not knowing how quick we will be able to find something, staying in a hotel for the entire time might not be the best solution. So we’d be very thankful for your advice on possible alternatives. Where else could we stay during our search without having to travel too long to get to ISB and IPB Darmaga?
    Could house-sitting be an option (as a matter of course we’d be happy to pay rent)? Are there any such offers?
    Are there other furnished places rented out for a limited time and with flexible contracts (I expect something around 4 weeks until we find the “house of our dreams”, but it might be much quicker or take longer)? Do you have other ideas?

In addition to this, we would also greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding the “house of our dreams”. We are planning to rent for 2 years with a possible extension to up to 5 years. We don’t need anything fancy, but a nice garden for our boys to play in would be important to us. Since at the moment I have very little idea about how much this will cost, I am hesitant to define our budget for this. Maybe you can give me an idea what to expect/calculate with?

And, last but not least, we are very much looking forward to joining the expat community in Bogor and make new friends there. So we are happy about all kinds of contacts, ideas, advice…

Hoping to hear from you soon!
    Carsten & Co

P.S.: Just in case you were wondering where our names and my strange accent are coming from – we’re from Germany.

I'd suggest you read the forum a bit. Many house rentals are paid in either one or two year chunks, in advance.

I guess a lot depends on how nice you want your place to be. I'm sure there should be some serviced apartments that would do monthly rentals. I know we have some expats who live in Bogor, so perhaps they can give you some more concrete details.

We rented serviced apartments for 2 weeks to 1 month when we were in Jakarta.

Good luck on the move.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Hi Carsten,

Welcome to the forum.

The problem in giving advice of your situation is the distance between ISB to IPB Darmaga. It will takes about 1 - 1.5 hour due to traffic, without having traffic will takes about 30 minutes.

I would like to recommend you to find location near from the school, you can find a house in Taman Kencana area because ISB also located in that area. It's nice place for expat but mostly expensive. Other options will be in Sempur or Bogor Baru.

Sentul is a nice place but far away from both ISB and IPB Darmaga.

If you need further information and quick response, do not hesitate to pm me.

Good luck for your search!
      ~ Welcome to Indonesia! - Have a nice day ~

Comment

Dear Jaime C, Joe.Bogor & All,
        Thanks a lot for your immediate responses. It's really great how nice this forum works and that there are so many people giving advice - this is extremely helpful!
        I see the problem with the distance between ISB and IPB Darmaga. But we will have to deal with this and I think your advice is good to move closer to ISB (while this also depends on how favorable the housing districts are at the respective places -and whether we can get a house there). You say that Taman Kencana is "mostly expensive". In order to get a grasp on what that means: is it somehow realistic to get a house with a nice garden for a family with two kids for something around 100,000,000 IDR per year there? At the moment I really have no idea about the house rental costs in Bogor and it would be nice to get a bit of a feeling for this.

Regarding Jame's reply: for the temporary accomdation during the time of our house search our demands aren't too high. The place should have good transport connections and should be furnished and clean. Can someone recommend such a place and/or give me contact details of somebody renting out such temporary accomodation?

Thanks a lot!
        Carsten

Comment

I think you need to really define how much of a short term rental you need.

2 bedroom? 3 bedroom? Kitchen? Fridge? AC?

In some cases, you can find serviced apartments on Expedia, Kayak, etc. Also I've found some interesting places on airbnb.com that are often priced nicely on longer term rentals.

There are many Indonesian based websites that have short term and longer rentals, too.

www.rumah.com and a lot of others are out there.
          Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
            I think you need to really define how much of a short term rental you need.

2 bedroom? 3 bedroom? Kitchen? Fridge? AC?

In some cases, you can find serviced apartments on Expedia, Kayak, etc. Also I've found some interesting places on airbnb.com that are often priced nicely on longer term rentals.

There are many Indonesian based websites that have short term and longer rentals, too.

www.rumah.com and a lot of others are out there.
            I think it is www.rumah123.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten_T View Post
              You say that Taman Kencana is "mostly expensive". In order to get a grasp on what that means: is it somehow realistic to get a house with a nice garden for a family with two kids for something around 100,000,000 IDR per year there? At the moment I really have no idea about the house rental costs in Bogor and it would be nice to get a bit of a feeling for this.
              Carsten
              As far as I know, the price is around 100-120 mio per year depends on the condition. You can see this link to give you some illustration

http://bogor.olx.co.id/house-for-ren...-iid-225472666

The advertisement was in 2011, but may be it is currently available to rent. Who knows? just ask.

Comment

You can also check it out.

http://rumahdijual.com/bogor/215520-taman-kencana.html

the price is IDR 175 mio, I am not sure is the price for two years or a year. But if it is price per year, just forget it, I think it is too expensive and not worth it.

Comment

The one on bogor.olx.co.id looks nice. At least, based on what one can tell from the one photo that's the type of garden we are looking for. 760 m2 garden would be ideal - however, 500 m2 would be absolutely sufficient.
                  The house itself does not need to have more than 200 m2. While 300 m2 - as a matter of course - is fine, too, I'd rather have 4 smaller bedrooms in 200 m2 than 3 bedrooms in 300 m2 (they seem to be huge in this house!).
                  Thanks for the links, Joe.Bogor! As it is from 2011, it's probably outdated. But you are right - why not giving it a try?
                  Anyways - as it seems, something around 100 mio seems not too unrealistic. Or have the prices increased a lot over the past 2 years? Can anyone tell about the recent developments in the house rental market in Bogor?

From what I see on the photos I don't like the house on rumahdijual.com and the price seem outragous. How is it with those prices - are they usually negotiable? And if yes, which "negotiation range" (in %) would you expect is common?
                  Last edited by Carsten_T; 23-07-13, 13:44.

Comment

Temporary accomodation and "permanent" housing in Bogor

Replying to Jaime C's reasonable suggestion to more exactly define what we are searching for:

Temporary accomodation (for time of our search for a "permanent house", i.e. for 2-6 weeks starting in October 2013
                    • 2 bedrooms
                    • centrally located in Bogor (i.e. with good access to public transportation to IPB Darmaga and ISB)
                    • furnishes, with kitchen
                    • AC
                    • possibility to rent on a short-term temporary contract

"Permanent house" (i.e. we are planning to rent for 2-5 years, starting in October 2013
                    • 4 bedrooms; ~ 200 m2
                    • nice garden with big plants and shade (>500 m2)
                    • in a rural-type housing area, natural environment, away from traffic
                    • we'd prefer not to live in an enclosed estate, but in a "normal" housing area (any comments regarding safety and infrastructural aspects on this from your side?)
                    • not too far away from the International School Bogor (ISB) and IPB Darmaga Campus (I know that they are rather far apart, maybe somewhere in-between?)
                    • not furnished (we'll bring our own stuff)
                    • AC
                    • Around Rp 100 mio per year (if it's the ideal place for us, it can be a bit more)

The descriptions above are the "ideals" of what we are looking for. If there is something available that is not exactly as described here, but similiar, please also let me know.
                    Thanks to all!

P.S.: I'll also post this in "Housing > Home search", because this thread here was actually meant for the temporary accomodation, only.

Comment

Hi Carsten

I just moved to Bogor last week (to work at CIFOR) and found a place in Temana Kencana (close to the international school). I am subletting from a colleague and then taking over the lease. I looked a few other houses (each about $1500 -$1600 USD/month furnished). One of them belongs to Will and Ina Symmonds (+62 811800460) who are moving to jakarta. I don't know if they will rent it short term. But you can try contacting her (I had a her email but cannot find it). There are few other houses in the area for rent but not many. Many colleagues at CIFOR have been looking there and in other areas. Persistence or luck seems to be the name of the game! Good luck!

Comment

Hi Chonta. How is it all going for you? Sentul looks like a leafy suburb of Melbourne. I thought: "Camberwell' when I first went there. Lovely private international school.
                        Chonta, do you know anybody at CIFOR and/or IPB. Boffins. Probably expats. I need, for my work, to get a few days experience. Pro Bono, gratis. In a biology lab, horticultural facility or on the IPB farm. Any help or suggestions? Cheers.

Comment

Hi you can try in sentul city have 3 international school there as my kids school there too and the area pretty good for family....

Comment

hi John

I work at CIFOR so know lots of folks, and Carsten above works at IPB. you lost me with Boffins.

Comment

Working...
                            X