Is a Merp/Re-Entry Permit Mandatory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Merp/Re-Entry Permit Mandatory ?

Hello all, My MERP must be renewed this Year. Next Year I need a new KTP. But do I really need to renew the MERP? Because I am sure that I will not go outside Indonesia for a long period

Originally posted by jtbatbmtb View Post
    ... But do I really need to renew the MERP?...

As far as I know there is nothing in the Immigration Law (UU no.6 Year 2011) or in the Regulation which implements the Immigration Law (PP no.31 Year 2013) or the 2 revisions of PP no.31 Year 21013 (PP no.26 Year 2016 and PP no.48 Year 2021) that mandate KITAS/KITAP holders to have a MERP (now named Re-entry Permit) .

When I got my 5 years KITAP in 2013 (after the 2011's Law) , I choose not to get a MERP . I got a MERP only the next year when I intended to travel abroad .

Someday after 2013 , Immigration started issuing the MERP mandatorily with any new KITAS/KITAP, cancelling our possibility to choose in this situation . But KITAP holders still can choose not to get the MERP after the initial 2 years (at least before Immigration creates the 5 years MERP and the time unlimited MERP) .

Comment

I was curious to know if there are more countries issuing Re-entry Permits for foreigners and quickly found 2 countries .

- In USA :
      A lawful permanent resident (LPR) normally may travel outside the United States and return; however, there are some limitations. A reentry permit (usually for 2 years) can help prevent two types of problems: loosing the permanent residency for staying abroad 1 year or more , or becoming a resident in another country .
      You may also want to get a reentry permit if you plan to travel abroad and cannot or do not wish to get a passport from your home country.

- In Singapore :
      You would have been issued a Re-Entry Permit (REP) when you receive your permanent residency.
      A valid REP is necessary whenever a permanent resident (PR) travels out of Singapore. The REP allows you to retain your permanent residence status while away from Singapore.
      If you leave Singapore or remain overseas without a valid REP, you will lose your permanent residence status.
      A #S$10 fee is payable for every year, or part thereof, of your approved REP.

#Poster's Note : An one year Indonesian Re-entry Permit costs Rp1 million =~ S$94

Comment

Working...
      X