No announcement yet.

Getting Personal effects from Abroad?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting Personal effects from Abroad?

    Hi all,
    Hope everyone is doing well in these times.

    I am currently in Jakarta since last year March when the pandemic hit.
    Due to the given circumstance, I have made Indonesia my temporary home.
    I wanted to bring my personal effects from Australia here which are just moving boxes filled with educational books and resources for the kids.
    However, I have not done so as of yet as I had been told that there will be a whopping 60% import tax bringing stuff into Indonesia which is ridiculous.
    I even made the mistake once buying some clothing from overseas and got charged 60% import tax + resell fees?? even though it was personal use and I explained it to customs but they did not care.

    Now I have read that I need to ship my stuff from abroad within 3 months of KITAS approval but then it was impossible due to the Pandemic and every country was shut down.

    Any Advice and service recommendations are greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by AlanM234 View Post
    (1) ...60% import tax + resell fees... even though it was personal use...

    (2) Now I have read that I need to ship my stuff from abroad within 3 months of KITAS approval but then it was impossible due to the Pandemic...

    (1) Each kind of thing has a specific tax rate , and more than 1 kind of tax . In the past we could buy abroad (online) up to US$50 (if I am not mistaken) free of tax , but recently this limit went down to just US$3 (according to (Import Rules , Indonesian Postal Office)

    (2) I have heard about this tax exemption for personal effects of foreigners with KITAS/KITAP , but this is the first time I heard about this 3 months limit . Unfortunately I neither don't know if true or not nor I have any advice/recommendation .


    • #3
      Originally posted by AlanM234 View Post
      ...Now I have read that I need to ship my stuff from abroad within 3 months of KITAS approval but then it was impossible due to the Pandemic...
      If you intend to stay longer , I think you can do that in the next KITAS (maybe you have to cancel the present KITAS by getting an Exit Permit (EPO) and then a new Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) then a new KITAS - if the Customs don't accept an extended KITAS) .


      Title : Indonesian Customs Explains Rules for Moving Goods From Overseas , Nov 2021

      [..."Moving goods are given 3 convenience facilities, namely getting exemption from import duty (except for merchandise and motor vehicles) , not collecting VAT and PPh, and completed with a special import notification document (PIBK)," explained the Head of the Customs and Excise Section III of Customs, Soekarno-Hatta. Hatta, Raden Roro Endah. Endah explained that in the Minister of Finance Regulation (PMK) number 28 of 2008, there are classifications that can apply for the customs process of moving goods, including Indonesian : civil servants, students, workers,... and foreigners who moves to Indonesia because of work.

      "The main requirement is to have lived abroad for one year (minimum) and is accompanied by complete documents in sending the goods such as Bill of Lading (ships) and Air Waybills (planes), packing lists, passports, boarding passes," added Endah. Then, the transferred goods can come together with the passenger, or 3 months before/after the passenger leaves and arrives. If the conditions are met and the documents are complete, then the shipping process becomes easy, fast, and safe.

      In addition, Customs and Excise will also issue a Letter of Approval for the Release of Goods (SPPB) which can be used for shipping goods.

      Endah emphasized that the person need to prepare a detailing list with the amount, type, and estimated customs value of the goods requested for import duty exemption that had been signed or legalized.

      Then, Endah detailed the flow of goods moving abroad, including looking for agents for shipping services, submitting PIBK documents attached with 6 documents, and physical inspection of moving goods. The mistakes that are often made in sending moving goods from or to abroad are goods in the category of prohibitions and restrictions (Lartas). The goods in question are alcoholic beverages and cellphones. Apart from Lartas, the mistakes that are often made by Indonesian people is regarding time. The minimum time required to be free from the imposition of import duties is one year. Less than that, then have to pay.

      Endah appealed to the public to find out about provisions related to moving goods so that it would be easy to get import duty exemptions. "If the public already knows and obeys the rules, then the facilities can be provided by Customs and Excise easily," he explained. Various information is already available on the DJBC information service platform, such as on the website, Instagram, and the Customs and Excise Channel. In addition, Bravo Bea Cukai with the call number 1500225 is also ready to share information about customs and excise regulations to the public.]

      From : An air waybill (AWB) or air consignment note is a receipt issued by an international airline for goods and an evidence of the contract of carriage.


      Bravo Bea Cukai , Jan 2020 , Contact Center Bravo Bea Cukai : 1500225

      [The procedure?
      The owner of the goods submits an import notification by attaching:
      a. Detailed List with : quantity, type, and estimated value of goods for which import duty exemption is requested , which has been legalized by the Indonesian Embassy in the country concerned.
      b. Photocopy of passport.
      c. Certificates and related documents include:
      • decision letter on placement abroad and decision letter on withdrawal to Indonesia from the relevant agency (for civil servants, members of the Indonesian Military, or members of the Indonesian Police who carry out their duties abroad).
      • study abroad certificate from the relevant agency (for civil servants, members of the Indonesian Military, or members of the Indonesian National Police who carry out their study abroad assignments).
      • certificate of completion of study (for Indonesians studying abroad).
      • a certificate from the Indonesian Embassy where they work and a work agreement with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (for Indonesians who work abroad).
      • transfer certificate (for Indonesians working abroad).
      • eITAS/KITAS (Residence Permit) from the Indonesian Immigration and Temporary Foreign Work Permit Card from the Indonesian Manpower Ministry (for foreigners who move to Indonesia).

      Regulatory reference: Regulation of the Minister of Finance Number 28 of 2008 concerning Exemption of Import Duties on the Import of Moving Goods]