Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Debit cards not work the same way out here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Debit cards not work the same way out here?

So I signed up for a BCA account. And... They dont have any type of Debit card....

And then I signed up for Mandiri because I saw they had a card that said Visa underneath

(These were the only 2 accounts I could get without a KITAS as i havent got one yet)

anyways... got my shiny new visa Debit. Went to link it to paypal... card not accepted. Ok fair enough... went to buy something online.... card declined. Phone Mandiri, They say go in and get the VBV registered. Go in. Do it. Card still not accepted. Cant find prepaid visa cards here at all.

Is there any way whatsoever to get some kinda way to buy stuff from US based sites?? Or am I SOL?

Cant get another account till i get the KITAS... but if there is an account with a card that works for online for after i get the KITAS, or some kinda prepaid credit card.... I would love to know... please help!!!

dunno why this Visa debit doesnt work like a visa debit

Wherever I saw a visa debit card, it was one that you could use online, however it doesnt seem like these ones can

Hi Spencer,

From personal experience, hate to tell you, youre SOL, indonesian issued debit cards (mandiri in your case), even ones with visa and/or mastercard logo, doesnt work for online transactions. It is different with foreign issued debit cards, and I have no clue with the story behind this, my guess would would be security issues.

As far as online transaction goes, youll need regular credit cards and I dont think we have prepaid and/or secured credit card here. Maybe setup a paypal instead?

I hope im wrong, if anybody have other info on this, im all ears.

Comment

I do have debit cards from Indonesian banks but never tried to use them to buy things online . I always used credit cards for that .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...5924#post55924 (credit card without a job)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...it-cards/page2 (credit card)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...924#post182924 (how to get a BCA credit card)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...CA-credit-card (BCA credit card)

Comment

hmm well thats wonderful.

haha the only reason why I signed up for the Mandiri account to begin with is so that I could use it online... and they swore and swore that I would be able to use it online.

Sign up for Paypal... that doesnt help. The card doesnt work on paypal either.

since my employment doesnt give me any official type statement of earnings, the man said there are two ways to get the credit card
        1 is asking HR department, I wasnt sure if he meant of my company (asking them for a statement of earnings) or by signing up for a secured card.

.. there is a secure card...gotta go in to the branch to find out more, 3 JT would be enough...

The minimum period is1 year though. i supose if I just decide to leave I could spend the remainng 3 Jt on the card and not pay it, allowing them to take my deposit.

kinda sucks with the visa debit thing .... whats the point of the visa card then

Comment

Originally posted by Spencer87 View Post
          ... whats the point of the visa card then
          I use the debit cards for withdrawing money at ATMs (in Indonesia and in other countries too) .

Comment

Yes, debit cards here are pretty much exclusively for withdrawing money from ATMs. Purchasing online has to be done with a credit card. And trying to use my foreign debit card here to book flights is basically impossible. Very frustrating, indeed.

Comment

A secure credit card here normally takes a 8 juta security deposit. So you end up with a fancy debit card with fees is all. Merchants in Indonesia on line all take the famous bank transfer. You can do it at an ATM or sign up for on line banking.
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Bule lapar View Post
                Yes, debit cards here are pretty much exclusively for withdrawing money from ATMs. Purchasing online has to be done with a credit card. And trying to use my foreign debit card here to book flights is basically impossible. Very frustrating, indeed.
                I use my US Debit card for Garuda, Air Asia, and Sriwijaya Air regularly. I also use it for Hotels and a lot of shopping outlets. Same for my wife? Never had a problem in any city we have used them in.
                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X