ALERT!! E-ID card required for permanent residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALERT!! E-ID card required for permanent residents

If you are a foreigner on a permanent residency (ITAP), or if you know someone who is, you need to read this and act. KITAS holders need to apply for the Green Card called the SKTT: Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal (clarifying letter about where you live, even though it is and has been a card for as long as I can remember).

(Please note that if you have an ITAS, you will NOT be listed as a family member on the Family Card (KK), but you will be listed as the parent of any children you have if you registered yourself as such. Only those with an ITAP are listed as family members on the KK, which shows that you are not entirely "foreign".)

A few years ago, the government instituted a program to have electronic ID cards (e-KTP, el-KTP, KTP-el) made for citizens. Earlier this year, the government announced that ALL citizens are required to convert their ID card (KTP) to the e-KTP. Those who do not will be barred from access to some basic services, including health insurance (BPJS-JKN/ASKES/PusKesMas), and the deadline to avoid problems is Sept. 30, 2016 (now it's June 2017, see bottom of this post)!

This applies to permanent residents as well as to locals. I just confirmed this by checking with the government and I have started the process for my e-KTP, which I should have next week. Yes, it takes about a week from the time you apply until it's created, but that will of course vary based on how swamped the local government in your area is. ***As of the end of November 2016, mine still isn't done and they don't know when the government will catch up.

There are lots of Indonesians who have been doing this, but the lines will probably no longer be. I'm sure agents will happily charge you an arm and a leg for what is actually free. Yes, assuming you have already completed the process to get your own foreigner's KTP (KTP-OA), and your wife's family card (kartu keluarga aka KK) has already been completed, you won't have to pay anything!

Have no fear, here's the fast way to get it done!

First, anyone applying must be present to be photographed, and have their fingerprints AND irises (yes, your eyes) digitally scanned!

1) Photocopy your KK and KTP. Bring a couple of each.

2) They probably won't ask, but bring along your passport and KITAP, plus photocopies, just in case (they didn't ask me or use them, but that doesn't mean every area operates on the same local rules).

2a) In theory, if you know the name of the person who is in charge of producing KTPs and KKs for foreigners at the Civil Registry (DinDuk/CaPil), take your original KK & KTP, plus the copies, and skip to step 7 . I am not sure, but I don't think you need the letter from #4.

3) Take your original KK & KTP, plus the copies, and go to the sub-district office (kelurahan) where you are registered. If you are not yet registered where you actually live, you will also have to go through the entire process for that (which I won't explain here).

4) Ask for a surat pengantar to get you an e-KTP. They may be confused because you're a foreigner, so take your spouse or someone who is bilingual to help you explain. They'll fiddle around on the computer and print out a letter and tell you to take it to the district office (kecamatan).

5) At the kecamatan, they will be confused because they will NOT be able to access your ID number on their system. It'll tell them the number is wrong. Feign ignorance and wait for them to try to confirm with the DinDuk about the problem.

6) They will not be able to assist you, the foreigner, in getting your e-KTP because, by law, the data from DinDuk cannot be transmitted to their office. Ask them for the name of the person who is in charge of producing KTPs and KKs for foreigners at the DinDuk and take your documents there.

7) At the DinDuk, do not get in line. Go directly to someone working there, chit-chat pleasantly for a minute, and then say: "I'm supposed to meet " whoever that person is in 2a. That should probably allow you to skip the VERY long line of Indonesians.

8) Be cheerful and friendly with the person you are meeting. Engage in a bit of idle chit-chat, but be brief. Tell them you're there to process your e-KTP and ask him/her to kindly assist you. If all goes well, you're facing a low-level supervisory bureaucrat who is busy and will quickly pass you off to the IT department with a note explaining what is needed

9) Proceed to the team responsible for entering your data. They'll scan your fingerprints and your irises and take a photo of you on a blue background.

10) They'll probably send you back to that bureaucrat. Ask how many days to wait before returning to pick up your el-KTP. Try leaving your contact info with them and ask them to contact you when it's ready.

If anyone notices there's anything incorrect or different from their own experience, please let me know!

Be sure to make sure everyone - local and foreigners with permanent residency - gets their el-KTP!

Note: If you're on a short-term permit of any kind, this doesn't apply to you. It is ONLY for permanent residency (ITAP) holders. KITAS holders need to get the SKTT instead, which is a green card.

***UPDATE NOV 29, 2016: The deadline has been pushed back to June 2017 due to a massive backlog, lack of preparation on the part of the central government and, well, I guess that amounts to the usual corruption and incompetence. The demand for blank el-KTPs (electronic ID cards) has far outstripped the supply. My data was recorded in September but still hasn't been put into the national system. My wife and I applied in September and still haven't got ours, despite the fact that she's a local. You can request a temporary el-KTP if you need it.***
    Last edited by ReveurGAM; 29-11-16, 12:02. Reason: Added updated news
    I'm not arrogant or a know-it-all - I'm over-eager to help & not very good at writing humbly. Verify my answers!

interesting , I received my ktp around 1 year ago at the same time my wifes ktp was upgraded to an e ktp , the catalan cipil badung said I could not have an e ktp as it was only for local .

hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
      interesting , I received my ktp around 1 year ago at the same time my wifes ktp was upgraded to an e ktp , the catalan cipil badung said I could not have an e ktp as it was only for local .

hmmmm
      My guess is the rules have changed because I had heard that in the past, too. Given that the e-KTP is required for many social services, if you're on an ITAP then you need it, and that was a primary motivation for me to investigate for myself, since we use BPJS. I urge you to go to the Catatan Sipil and ask about it. If they tell you no, let them know that other foreigners are getting them. If they still say no, ask them how you're supposed to access all of the services that require an e-KTP starting next month. Maybe that'll make them think. Success!
      I'm not arrogant or a know-it-all - I'm over-eager to help & not very good at writing humbly. Verify my answers!

Comment

ya I use bpjs , so far no problem , in fact iv just come back from the dentist as I write , ha ha ,I use the normal ktp quite a lot so far no one has questioned it, when im in the area il have a chat with catalin cipil to find out if there has been a rule change for wna ktp , thanks for the "heads up".

unfortunately in our adopted country every region has another story ,re bureaucracy for foreigners , quite frustrating but common in developing countries .

Comment

yap the rules have changed in badung catalan sipil manual to ektp , after visiting this morning , I arrived with all the usual foto copies , but the system is not yet functioning hmmm ! to be continued .

Comment

Don't forget - you have 'til the end of the month to start the process to get your e-KTP. Prior to that, no one will make things difficult for you if you still use the old KTP-OA. Please let us know how it goes for you!

Comment

the powers that be have extended the deadline until 2017 because of issues with the process , I will update as I receive info to proceed

Comment

update , manual ktp to e , badung catalan sipil , following a telephone call this morning system still broken ,no one seems to know when it will be fixed, il give it another week before a recall , suprise suprise !

Comment

I went to DinDuk-CaPil today to check on the status of our KTP-El's (they've changed the name). The head of the department that handles foreigners and stuff said:
                  1) My data hasn't even made it into the system because of the massive backlog of people. She has no idea how long it's going to take.
                  2) The decision to push back the deadline isn't official, yet. No letter has been sent from HQ and there is a meeting in a few days in Jakarta on the topic.

Comment

ah ha ! you see they have problems not just in badung , we shall see what happens , my wife will contact every few weeks to see if any progress with the system , i will update as I have news

Comment

I've had no news whatsoever since then. How about you?

Comment

badung is still frozen ! , the system is still broken , as of yesterday , ah ! we will give em a call next week , they said they have not produced 1 e ktp wna .

Comment

Guys what if I don't use the local services/BPJS will I still need to get the KTP?

Comment

theoretically, if you have a kitap you should have a ktp oa , there is a liability of a fine if you do not , I could imagine at kitap renewal it may be a problem ,

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
                              theoretically, if you have a kitap you should have a ktp oa , there is a liability of a fine if you do not , I could imagine at kitap renewal it may be a problem ,
                              Oh dear, I better get the show going then, as my renewal is coming up beginning of 2017. Thanks for the info mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X