Becoming an Indonesian citizen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming an Indonesian citizen

Hello..me and my wife( both WNA) are thinking of becoming Indonesian citizens. We have been living in Bali for 9 years. We have our own PMA company of which I am the Komisaris and my wife the Director. I have read that you need to have lived here for 5 uninterrupted years or 10 interrupted years.. We left the country after 6 years on an EPO and came back in for the start of our new 6 year period and have just done our 2nd Kitas and work permit renewal.. Does that mean we are only in our second year of living here according to immigration rules even though this really is our straigth 8th year in a row..I also read that we need to get a Kitap first to become Indonesian citizens.. Is this true? Many thanks in advance

For citizenship you need as well five years of uninterrupted residency (without EPO) or ten years of interrupted residency.
    Last edited by centurion; 27-06-16, 17:01. Reason: wrong info

Comment

Originally posted by centurion View Post
      To become Indonesian citizen you need to have a KITAP.
      You can get company sponsored KITAP after 3 years of uninterrupted residency. For citizenship you need as well five years of uninterrupted residency (without EPO) or ten years of interrupted residency.
      Thanks centurion.. I actually just found the UU no 12/2006 and it says nothing about having to have a Kitap at the time of applying for Indonesian citizenship. Immigration office in Bali would be able to tell me perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Sibran1978 View Post
        (1) ... Does that mean we are only in our second year of living here according to immigration rules even though this really is our straigth 8th year in a row..

(2) I also read that we need to get a Kitap first to become Indonesian citizens.. Is this true?

(1) In my view it is neither second year nor 8th year . I think you are already eligible because of the 6 first years you lived here (supposing you didn't have any EPO or Visa between at least 5 of these 6 years (in other words , at least 5 years with KITAS and/or KITAP without any EPO in between) .

(2) As I see , the applicable Law (UU no.12 , year 2006) does not mention KITAP .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality (how to become Indonesian)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...753#post276753 (post nos.12/13 , interview for becoming Indonesian)

------------------------

Depending on which country you are citizen of , it could be good to keep the citizenship of one of you . Nowadays it is very easy and relatively cheap to get KITAS or KITAP for the foreign spouse of an Indonesian , besides the right to work and do business introduced by 2011's Law (see link below) .

http://percaindonesia.com/catatan-so...-7-maret-2015/ (Married with Indonesians - work situations)
        Last edited by marcus; 27-06-16, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          (1) In my view it is neither second year nor 8th year . I think you are already eligible because of the 6 first years you lived here (supposing you didn't have any EPO or Visa between at least 5 of these 6 years (in other words , at least 5 years with KITAS and/or KITAP without any EPO in between) .

(2) As I see , the applicable Law (UU no.12 , year 2006) does not mention KITAP .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality (how to become Indonesian)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...753#post276753 (post nos.12/13 , interview for becoming Indonesian)

------------------------

Depending on which country you are citizen of , it could be good to keep the citizenship of one of you . Nowadays it is very easy and relatively cheap to get KITAS or KITAP for the foreign spouse of an Indonesian , besides the right to work and do business introduced by 2011's Law (see link below) .

http://percaindonesia.com/catatan-so...-7-maret-2015/ (Married with Indonesians - work situations)
          Thanks for that Marcus

1. This one I find confusing. When our 6th Kitas expired we left indonesia (using an EPO) for a couple of days, flew back to Bali and started the proces again and have just done our 2nd extension ourselves.. Very easy actually.So yeah we did not

have an EPO the first 5 years but had one after the 6th when we left.

2. I also can't find anything that says you need a Kitap to apply for Indonesian citizenship. Immigration might know?

I am Dutch and my wife is Australian. So she could get a Kitap spousel visa through me if I was to become indo citizen?

Also unsure what would happen with our PMA since I am the Komisaris and she is the Director.

Comment

Last year I tried do the "fast lane" but decide to cancel it as I not sure if I can pass the 5yrs requirement nor 10yrs. For the 10yrs you need to have your old passport. I have the soft copy of the document which I retype that was given to me by the immigrasion officer. PM me if need soft copy.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DzulSiti; 28-06-16, 07:06.

Comment

Thanks for that Marcus

1. This one I find confusing. When our 6th Kitas expired we left indonesia (using an EPO) for a couple of days, flew back to Bali and started the proces again and have just done our 2nd extension ourselves.. Very easy actually.So yeah we did not

have an EPO the first 5 years but had one after the 6th when we left.

2. I also can't find anything that says you need a Kitap to apply for Indonesian citizenship. Immigration might know?

I am Dutch and my wife is Australian. So she could get a Kitap spousel visa through me if I was to become indo citizen?

Also unsure what would happen with our PMA since I am the Komisaris and she is the Director.
              I quess immigration could say that I should have applied at the end of the 5 year period but because I left on EPO after 6 they might say the 5 year uninterrupted time does not apply anymore.

Comment

Sorry I gave you wrong info about KITAP. I will edit.

Comment

Thanks centurion.. I actually just found the UU no 12/2006 and it says nothing about having to have a Kitap at the time of applying for Indonesian citizenship. Immigration office in Bali would be able to tell me perhaps?
                  It s not in UU 6/2006 that you should look. As always the devil is in the details and Undang Undang are far too general to include the detail you are concerned by. Instead you should look for Peraturan Pemerintah nomor 2 tahun 2007 which is the relevant regulation detailing the procedure to be granted Indonesian citizenship.

1. You DEFINITIVELY need a KITAP in order to be eligible.
                  2. You need to have at least 5 years of uninterrupted residency (or 10 interrupted years) still valid AT THE TIME OF YOUR APPLICATION. In your case immigration won't issue you a SKIM because they will consider that you have only 8 years+ (6 years for the first kitas and 2 years + for the second). If you would have applied for the SKIM before the end of the first KITAS, they would have been able to issue you this precious document. Now you have to wait to have 4 years on your second KITAS to apply for the SKIM and show 10 years of interrupted residency. Again here the devil is in the details. The relevant regulation concerning SKIM issuance is what explains in detail who is considered to have "5 uninterrupted years" and "10 interrupted years"

Here is an excerpt of PP 2/2007

Pasal 3
                  (1) Permohonan sebagaimana dimaksud dalam Pasal 2 diajukan di Indonesia oleh pemohon secara tertulis dalam bahasa Indonesia di atas kertas bermeterai cukup dan sekurang-kurangnya memuat:

a. nama lengkap;

b. tempat dan tanggal lahir;

c. jenis kelamin;

d. status perkawinan;

e. alamat tempat tinggal;

f. pekerjaan; dan

g. kewarganegaraan asal.

(2) Permohonan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) harus dilampiri dengan:

a. fotokopi kutipan akte kelahiran atau surat yang membuktikan kelahiran pemohon yang disahkan oleh Pejabat;

b. fotokopi kutipan akte perkawinan/buku nikah, kutipan akte perceraian/surat talak/perceraian, atau kutipan akte kematian isteri/suami pemohon bagi yang belum berusia 18 (delapan belas) tahun yang disahkan oleh Pejabat;

c. surat keterangan keimigrasian yang dikeluarkan oleh kantor imigrasi yang wilayah kerjanya meliputi tempat tinggal pemohon yang menyatakan bahwa pemohon telah bertempat tinggaldi wilayah negara Republik Indonesia paling singkat 5 (lima) tahun berturut-turut atau paling singkat 10 (sepuluh) tahun tidak berturut-turut;

d. fotokopi kartu izin tinggal tetap yang disahkan oleh Pejabat;

e. surat keterangan sehat jasmani dan rohani dari rumah sakit;

f. surat pernyataan pemohon dapat berbahasa Indonesia;

g. surat pernyataan pemohon mengakui dasar negara Pancasila dan Undang-Undang Dasar Negara Republik Indonesia Tahun 1945;

h. surat keterangan catatan kepolisian yang wilayah kerjanya meliputi tempat tinggal pemohon;

i. surat keterangan dari perwakilan negara pemohon bahwa dengan memperoleh Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia tidak menjadi berkewarganegaraan ganda;

j. surat keterangan dari camat yang wilayah kerjanya meliputi tempat tinggal pemohon bahwa pemohon memiliki pekerjaan dan/atau berpenghasilan tetap;

k. bukti pembayaran uang Pewarganegaraan dan biaya permohonan ke kas negara; dan

l. pasfoto pemohon terbaru berwarna ukuran 4X6 (empat kali enam) sentimeter sebanyak 6(enam) lembar.

(3) Permohonan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) beserta lampirannya disampaikan kepada Pejabat yang wilayah kerjanya meliputi tempat tinggal pemohon.
                  Last edited by atlantis; 27-06-16, 21:50.

Comment

Hi Sibran,

glad to hear you and your wife want to be Indonesian citizen.
                    Prior case that i ever help convert to Indonesian, he is a kitap holder.

And regarding the company, it can be your sponsor for kitap.

Comment

Hi Atlantis,
                      Great information, some how the imigration guy at Bandung never told me about item j.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone.. Seems that the first step is getting a Kitap. Can we apply for that after our 2nd Kitas is about to expire? Can we get one here in Bali?

Comment

(a) ... So she could get a Kitap spousel visa through me if I was to become indo citizen?

(b) Seems that the first step is getting a Kitap. Can we apply for that after our 2nd Kitas is about to expire?

(c) Can we get one here in Bali?

(a) Yes . But to get a KITAP sponsored by an Indonesian spouse , one needs first to get a KITAS sponsored by the Indonesian spouse .

(b) You are eligible only after the start of the 4th KITAS (3 continuous year) . See the related part of the Law below .

(c) Any Immigration process is usually to be requested where the couple lives . Address change must be reported to Immigration as soon as possible (jail or fine if not) .

UU no.6 , year 2011

[FONT=Georgia]Article 60[/FONT]
                          [FONT=Georgia](1) Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP for the applicant referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter a is given after the applicant residing for 3 (three) consecutive years and signing a Statement of Integration to the Government of Indonesia.[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                            (a) Yes . But to get a KITAP sponsored by an Indonesian spouse , one needs first to get a KITAS sponsored by the Indonesian spouse .

(b) You are eligible only after the start of the 4th KITAS (3 continuous year) . See the related part of the Law below .

(c) Any Immigration process is usually to be requested where the couple lives . Address change must be reported to Immigration as soon as possible (jail or fine if not) .

UU no.6 , year 2011

[FONT=Georgia]Article 60[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Georgia](1) Permanent Stay Permit/KITAP for the applicant referred to in Article 54 paragraph (1) letter a is given after the applicant residing for 3 (three) consecutive years and signing a Statement of Integration to the Government of Indonesia.[/FONT]

Thanks Marcus.. I am assuming you can apply for a Kitap after the 3rd Kitas is about to expire? or when the 4th one has been issued ? Otherwise you would have to pay for the 4th Kitas and then pay for the Kitap fee am I correct?

Comment

Otherwise you would have to pay for the 4th Kitas and then pay for the Kitap fee am I correct?
                              Yes, you are. And don't forget that you will have to also pay for a 2 years MERP when your KITAP will be issued.

Comment

Working...
                              X