U.S. Citizen Fiancee marrying and moving to Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Citizen Fiancee marrying and moving to Indonesia

First of all I apologize if this topic has been discussed. I am a U.S. Citizen living in Seattle,WA and I have an Indonesian fiancee living in Surabaya. I am planning to marry and move in July but I personally have no idea the process of the VISA of being able to move and marry and etc. I have read on many forums and also have contacted the Indonesian Consulate in San Fransisco and they were not as helpful as I hoped. My fiancée is going to the immigration office in Surabaya on Monday to get more info. But my concern is, I have heard that I can come on a social visa and then convert my visa to ITAP (or ITAS) after marriage and then after two years of marriage I can recieve KITAS/KITAP. But has anyone ever experience what I am going through? All help is needed. Thank you in advance

Originally posted by Djplaydoh View Post
    First of all I apologize if this topic has been discussed. I am a U.S. Citizen living in Seattle,WA and I have an Indonesian fiancee living in Surabaya. I am planning to marry and move in July but I personally have no idea the process of the VISA of being able to move and marry and etc. I have read on many forums and also have contacted the Indonesian Consulate in San Fransisco and they were not as helpful as I hoped. My fiancée is going to the immigration office in Surabaya on Monday to get more info. But my concern is, I have heard that I can come on a social visa and then convert my visa to ITAP (or ITAS) after marriage and then after two years of marriage I can recieve KITAS/KITAP. But has anyone ever experience what I am going through? All help is needed. Thank you in advance
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you planning on just moving to Surabaya? Have you been to Indonesia for an extended period? I always cringe when I read a newcomer is just coming soon and getting married quickly. People research a new car purchase more than such a life changing move.

We get similar threads all the time, and I personally think it shows a lack of respect for our forum for you not to spend some time reading up first on the threads here.

There are many hoops to jump through for both marriage, and a Kitas.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Admittedly, the search function doesn't work too well at times.

You should met a search for the following keywords:
      - kitas
      - kitap
      - convert* kitas kitap
      - convert* sosbud kitas

Comment

First and foremost, I apologize for the lack of respect... I have done many research regarding this move and marriage and the key thing is that I have been misinformed by several people (Including the Indonesian Consulate in San Francisco) and forums regarding this Visa process. So I thought I ask on this forum since this seem to be the best source of it all..... But I really appreciate for your insight and advice on what to search... But like I stated, My fiancee is doing everything she can in Surabaya to gather information regarding this as well and trying to make it a smoother process.... Moving to another country isn't something I never done before. United States is the 4th country I have moved for personal reason and now moving to Indonesia is probably going to be the final time. I really appreciate it for your help and insight....

Comment

If you are planning to work, that's something you need to research as well. While being married to an Indonesian currently helps a little bit in terms of what you can do job-wise, it's quite difficult to work in Indonesia as a foreigner. (Of course if you are already retired/don't need to work, you can skip that part of the process.)

Comment

best way to come on a visa sponsored by fiance is a sosbud visa. then get married legally and convert the sosbud visa into a wife sponsored Kitas. this does not allow you to work !

Comment

... But my concern is, I have heard that I can come on a social visa and then convert my visa to ITAP (or ITAS) after marriage and then after two years of marriage I can recieve KITAS/KITAP ... I have been misinformed by several people (Including the Indonesian Consulate in San Francisco) and forums regarding this Visa process ... My fiancee is doing everything she can in Surabaya to gather information ...
              Thank you in advance

Yes , come with a Social Visit Visa (sponsored by your future spouse) , marry , and then you can convert the Social Visa into an one year ITAS (KITAS) . After 2 years of marriage you will be eligible to a 5 years ITAP (KITAP) .

So , first ask your Indonesian future spouse to send you a letter of invitation (also called sponsor's letter) + copy of her KTP . The letter must be signed by your future spouse in order to be able to convert it into a KITAS later .

See sample of the letter below :

(tolonglah cek kalau bahasa Indonesia benar karena saya WNA)

Kepada Yth.:
              Bapak Konsul Jenderal Republik Indonesia
              Up. Bapak Kepala Bidang Imigrasi
              Di San Francisco

Dengan hormat ,
              Saya yang bertanda tangan di bawah ini :
              Nama : (calon istri WNI)
              Tempat / tgl. lahir :
              Pekerjaan : (sama ada di KTP)
              Kebangsaan : Indonesia
              KTP :
              Alamat :

Dengan ini saya mengajukan permohonan kepada Yang terhormat Bapak Konsul Jenderal RI agar berkenan memberikan Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya kepada calon suami saya yang datanya tersebut di bawah ini :

Nama :
              Kelamin : laki-laki
              Tempat / tgl. lahir :
              Pekerjaan :
              Paspor :
              Kebangsaan :

Perlu saya sampaikan bahwa permohonan ini saya ajukan karena calon suami saya yang tersebut di atas ingin bertemu keluarga saya dan kawin dengan saya ? ?.
              Saya yang bertanggung jawab penuh atas segala tingkah laku/biaya yang timbul dari calon suami saya yang bersangkutan selama di Indonesia
              Demikianlah permohonan ini saya buat dan atas perhatian serta kebijaksanaan Bapak , saya mengucapkan terima kasih .

.............(kota sponsor) , ......(tanggal)

Hormat saya , ..............(tanda tangan di atas Rp6000 materai)

(nama sponsor di bawah tanda tangan)

----------------------------------------------

Other references which may be useful to you :

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...-the-USA/page2

http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/familylaw.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/marriage...lications.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/prenuptialagreement.html
              Note : prenup for buying property must be prenup/separated properties ownership (or separated wealth)

http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...596#post244596 (Requirements for teachers)

----------------------------------------------

from http://www.kemlu.go.id/sanfrancisco/...DP=5&l=id&l=id

General requirements for Visit Visa:

- Passport must be valid at least 6 months at the date of entry into Indonesia. For the Multiple Entries, ...
              - Passport contains at least one blank visa page. Amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for visa purposes.
              - Application form (in duplicate) must be completed and signed by the applicant.
              - Two recent color photographs (passport size) on picture-quality paper.
              For Visa application by mail, please read carefully:

o Visa application by mail should enclose a self-stamped and addressed
              envelope for Express Mail, Fed Ex or any other service that the applicant
              deems safe. Consulate General is not held responsible for application lost
              through mail.
              o Before mailing the application, please remember that the applicant’s
              passport must be sent along with the application.
              o Also remember that amendment and endorsement pages cannot be used for
              visa purposes. Check your passport for a blank visa page. Please be advised
              that we will return your application and passport if we found no blank visa
              pages on the passport. This would delay your application processing. Please
              send your application to:
              Consular Service, Consulate General of Indonesia in San Francisco 1111 Columbus Avenue
              San Francisco, CA 94133

Inoculation is recommended but not mandatory, and is required only if applicant had previously traveled to areas/countries infected by yellow fever.
              Applicants under 18 years of age should attach a notarized copy of birth certificate and notarized letter of consent signed by non-traveling parents/guardian.

Based on you purpose of visit (Tourist, Business or Social Visit), please
              provide the additional requirements, as follows:
              1., 2. ...
              3. Social Visit Visa Applicant, please provide the following additional requirements:
               Itinerary (original/copy) or a letter from travel agents, airline, Steamship Company, confirming the purchase of tickets into Indonesia (Note the officer may ask the copy of the original airplane ticket).
               A letter of invitation (in duplicate) from family or social organization, which describes the purpose of the visit and guaranteeing all transportation and living expenses that incur in Indonesia.
               For family visit, includes either: (1) ..., or (2) if your sponsor is an Indonesian citizen, a copy of the KTP (Indonesian ID card)...
              Last edited by marcus; 13-04-15, 11:23.

Comment

Thank you very much for more info... Out of curiosity, my fiancee is thinking of using an agent or consulting firm for my visa.... Has anyone used or heard any reviews for ALP Consulting in Jakarta? Thanks... Or Does anyone have a reference to a great agent or consultant in Surabaya/Jakarta?

Thanks
                Last edited by Djplaydoh; 14-04-15, 12:55.

Comment

I don't know any agent , but be informed that you don't need an agent just now . You may use an agent after you marry (to convert the Social Visa into a KITAS) , or for extending the Social Visa if you don't marry quickly .

I am worried that the agent told your fiance that they can get you the Social Visa . If so , tell her that this is not exactly true . Some agents want to get a "pre-approval" of the Social Visa in Jakarta , which is not necessary for American citizens and many other countries' citizens .

Comment

Marcus, thank you so much for all your advice and help. Now here is a little problem, my future spouse is unemployed and is studying at university. Now I can financially support duration of three years for the both of us. Is that possible for her to sponsor me still and do the social visit way?

Comment

Marcus, thank you so much for all your advice and help. Now here is a little problem, my future spouse is unemployed and is studying at university. Now I can financially support duration of three years for the both of us. Is that possible for her to sponsor me still and do the social visit way?
                      They rarely ask for financial info from the sponsor. If they do, perhaps a quick deposit into her account would do.
                      Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

... Is that possible for her to sponsor me still and do the social visit way?

Yes , it is almost 100% possible .

First , very few Embassies ask for financial proof .
                        Second , if you see the San Francisco's Embassy website , they do not mention that .
                        And third , if even so they do ask for financial proof , you can submit your own bank account statement , or , as suggested by Jaime above , she can deposit some Rp5 million (around USD400) in her account and this should be enough for theoretically cover your minimum expenses for 2 months (when requesting the Social Visa , the form may ask for the duration of your visit , you say 60 days , which are the days the visa allows) .

You didn't ask , but be informed that you can save on your return ticket , as you don't intend to return soon . The safest way would be to buy a cheap ticket from Indonesia to a nearby country , or you can risk a little : If asked for by the Embassy or airport officer , you can tell them that you want to marry and convert the Social Visa into an one year KITAS (not leave Indonesia for that) , and/or show your bank statement account to prove you have the means to buy the ticket later , ... (see links below) .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...y-ticket/page2 , ticket

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...12650-Question , ticket

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ne-way-flights , outward ticket

Comment

Working...
                        X