KITAS sponsored by the Indonesian spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tingkap View Post
    I don't understand why can't we make the payment after the submission?
    Originally posted by marcus View Post
    Unfortunately this procedure is not only for MERP but probably for everything . In my many years dealing sosbud extensions , they only ask me to pay before the boss sign the passport . Many times the boss was not at the office or the officer thought it would take long time , so I had to just do the payment and return the following day .
    The legal reasons for it are simple:
    1. Any application is a "permohonan": it is a request which is made, and the acceptation or refusal come after assessment. In indonesian culture a prepayment would mean a de facto acceptation. And they for sure don't want it this way.
    2. The payment must intervene after the assessment BUT before the final autorisation given by the KaKanIm because the payment is a legal condition for the issuance of an extension/a visa/ a permit...etc
    The procedure is decribed as follow:
    a. Application
    b. Assessment
    c. Payment
    d. Autorisation/Issuance

Reimboursement of a fee would be a real headache from the little I know of the accountancy of penerimaan negara bukan pajak. (non fiscal income such as immigration fees or any legal fees levied by the various ministeries)

Comment

• I have been looking through the different threads, and I may have skimmed over some valuable information. However, I hope you don't mind if I ask my own question?

I am a Canadian living now in Vancouver, and my husband is an Indonesian citizen living/working in Bali. Joshira (my husband) has applied for Canadian Permanent Residence, but has to stay in Indonesia (or at least out of Can) for the duration of the application process. Since the application process may take up to 2 years to complete (it has been a few months already), I have decided to travel to Indonesia to wait with him for a few months to a year. I have my plane ticket already for the end of April and it is extendable for up to a year.

In August 2009, we were wed in Vancouver, Canada. It was a civil marriage. I understand that civil marriages are not recognized in Indonesia, however, Joshira and I registered it here at the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver. I have the marriage certificate and it does not state what kind of marriage it was. My first question: are we legally married in Indonesia??

My second question is: what is the process for me to obtain a one year visa?
      I have asked the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver and they said that my husband needs to get a letter of approval from the Indonesian Government. Also, "ashayu" from the second page of this forum shared her experience and it looked similar to what we would have to go through (or so according to the consulate in Van). What exactly does my husband need to do in order to get that letter of approval, and who does he send it to?

Third question: how much will the whole process take? I read RP 7 00 000 ... is that approximately $80.00 USD? I saw on the Van website it was $120.00 for a non-working 1 year visa. That sounds good to me, but I just need to know how to get there...

And finalllly (sorry for all the questions), how long will the process to obtain the letter take? The Indo Consulate in Van said 2 working days for the actual processing (for their part).

I would really appreciate any help I could get (atlantis... looks like you have a reputation ).

Thank you,
      Charlotte

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimpin View Post
        ..Btw, know anyone who has ever been refused an extension on a Sosbud? Me neither...
        In 7 years dealing myself with all my extensions , they never refused any of my applications neither I ever heard about any person's application being refused .
        Last edited by marcus; 18-02-10, 19:13.

Comment

• [FONT=Tahoma]
          Originally posted by CFesnoux View Post
          In August 2009, we were wed in Vancouver, Canada. It was a civil marriage. I understand that civil marriages are not recognized in Indonesia, however, Joshira and I registered it here at the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver. I have the marriage certificate and it does not state what kind of marriage it was. My first question: are we legally married in Indonesia??
          [/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]Yes, you are on your way to be legally married under Indonesian law. In a delay of 30 days after he returns to Indonesia, your husband will have to report the wedding to either tha Dinas kependudukan dan catatan sipil or the KUA (depending on his religion). It will complete the procedure and will open you rights to temporary residency.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]
          My second question is: what is the process for me to obtain a one year visa?
          [/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]Look at post #1 in this thread. Replace the word husband by "wife" and the word wife by "husban"d when you read them in the thread and you have it. It seems to me the more suitable in your situation. It leaves you a bit of time to evaluate if you want to stay up to or more than 1 year in Indonesia.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]
          I have asked the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver and they said that my husband needs to get a letter of approval from the Indonesian Government.
          [/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]It is a slightly different way of getting temporary residency, by first seeking a VITAS from the embassy with the sponsorship of your husband and a prior agreement from the DitJenIm in JKT. After entering in Indonesia and receiving an entry stamp, you would have to organise your KITAS and all the necessary documents (SKLD, SKTT, buku POA) quite quickly. Not a good way to "acclimatise", imho.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]
          Also, "ashayu" from the second page of this forum shared her experience
          [/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]Ashayu is a "he". Long hair tho' [/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]
          [FONT=Tahoma]More later...[/FONT]

Comment

• [QUOTE=atlantis;61195][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]
            [FONT=Tahoma]Yes, you are on your way to be legally married under Indonesian law. In a delay of 30 days after he returns to Indonesia, your husband will have to report the wedding to either tha Dinas kependudukan dan catatan sipil or the KUA (depending on his religion). It will complete the procedure and will open you rights to temporary residency.[/FONT]

Hmm, Jossie has been home since October 09. Does this mean that he can still report? He is Muslim, but he had a civil marriage in Canada... does this matter? To me it wouldn't, but obviously that doesn't count much...

[FONT=Tahoma]Look at post #1 in this thread. Replace the word husband by "wife" and the word wife by "husban"d when you read them in the thread and you have it. It seems to me the more suitable in your situation. It leaves you a bit of time to evaluate if you want to stay up to or more than 1 year in Indonesia.[/FONT]

How long does this process take? How difficult?

[FONT=Tahoma]It is a slightly different way of getting temporary residency, by first seeking a VITAS from the embassy with the sponsorship of your husband and a prior agreement from the DitJenIm in JKT. After entering in Indonesia and receiving an entry stamp, you would have to organise your KITAS and all the necessary documents (SKLD, SKTT, buku POA) quite quickly. Not a good way to "acclimatise", imho.[/FONT]

I agree, this doesn't sound like the best road to take. Plus, I just want to keep my options open really up to one year. However, we may just be in Indo for 4 months. It is really depending on the state of my VISA and the state of his PR to Canada.

Thanks for your help by the way

Comment

• Hi again, excuse my constant picking, but I feel if you must do something properly you need all the details

I re-read your first post. It is extremely well detailed (I commend you), although I don't know all the abbreviations, but I get the gist.
              What would my steps be then, here/now (in Vancouver)? Jossie (my husband) needs to properly register our marriage in Indo (do I need to send him the original marriage certificate from the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver and the Canadian one)? And will I need to get a Social-Cultural Visa? Then when I get to Bali, those (your post 1 list) are the steps that Jossie and I will need to take? How much is that process approximately in USD? I keep seeing the RP 700 000... that is ~ $80.00 USD?

Charlotte

Comment

• [FONT=Tahoma]Look at post #1 in this thread. Replace the word husband by "wife" and the word wife by "husban"d when you read them in the thread and you have it. It seems to me the more suitable in your situation. It leaves you a bit of time to evaluate if you want to stay up to or more than 1 year in Indonesia.[/FONT]
                [FONT=Tahoma]

^^ that was a quote from Atlantis on pg 22. I don't know how to quote it properly...

Atlantis, just a few more questions

I think I will do things this way (entering the country on a SosBud, then upgrading to a Kitas). The important thing is that we need to make sure our marriage is properly registered in Indonesia. Our marriage has been registered with the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver, and we have a certified translation of the marriage certificate. Would the next step be registering our marriage with the KUA (he is Moslem but our marriage was Civil), or the Kantor Catatan Sipil? I think we will have to pay the fine because he has been in Indo since October 2009, but we should still be able to register it? As well, should he register it in Ubud (or Denpasar) where is is working, and I will be living, or Jakarta (his home town).

And one last thing, I found that "if the wife (me) is the foreign spouse, the legal situation is totally different." This is according to: http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarri...#expat%20women
                It looks like you are already familiar with that website from previous messages. So, would I still do things the way you suggested in your earlier post?

Thank you,
                Charlotte

Comment

• Where is his KTP registered? Has he officially moved to Bali? If so, they may not like you living in a different area. Years ago I was advised to just stay stum when I lived in a different town to where my KITAS was issued.

I would have thought that it will be a CatSip registration, unless you are muslim too, in which case then maybe you could reg at KUA.

Comment

• Thanks Momma Mia.

I think his KTP is registered in Tangerang (just outside of Jakarta). He was born there, but his family now lives in Depok. I will be living with him in Ubud, and we wont be living in Java. As well, he got a residence card of some sort for Ubud and his status is married. I don't know if that helps or means anything.

He just called the Catsip in Denpasar (he has an appointment there later on today). He doesn't have the documents I think he will need to register it, I do. But, we just wanted to make sure we knew everything he would need to register our marriage before I sent anything to him. Do you know how long the process will take to register it? And is that the last step in registering the marriage?

Also, I will be coming to Bali on a SosBud. I will want to upgrade it to a Kitas once I am there. Is the process fairly straight forward? Is it any different for a foreign wife rather than a foreign husband?

Comment

• My husband just got back from the CatSip, and they told him that an abroad Civil marriage can't be registered in Indonesia, but they can still use the marriage document I have from the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver to get my Kitas (when I get here).

Does this sound normal? It doesn't sound too tough, but I am still skeptical. Maybe it will be easier because I am the foreign wife?

If anyone has any comments regarding such matters, please let me know! I just don't want to arrive there and find out that I should have been more prepared.

Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by CFesnoux View Post
                        Thanks Momma Mia.

I think his KTP is registered in Tangerang (just outside of Jakarta). He was born there, but his family now lives in Depok. I will be living with him in Ubud, and we wont be living in Java. As well, he got a residence card of some sort for Ubud and his status is married. I don't know if that helps or means anything.

He just called the Catsip in Denpasar (he has an appointment there later on today). He doesn't have the documents I think he will need to register it, I do. But, we just wanted to make sure we knew everything he would need to register our marriage before I sent anything to him. Do you know how long the process will take to register it? And is that the last step in registering the marriage?

Also, I will be coming to Bali on a SosBud. I will want to upgrade it to a Kitas once I am there. Is the process fairly straight forward? Is it any different for a foreign wife rather than a foreign husband?
                        My husband just got back from the CatSip, and they told him that an abroad Civil marriage can't be registered in Indonesia, but they can still use the marriage document I have from the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver to get my Kitas (when I get here).

Does this sound normal? It doesn't sound too tough, but I am still skeptical. Maybe it will be easier because I am the foreign wife?

If anyone has any comments regarding such matters, please let me know! I just don't want to arrive there and find out that I should have been more prepared.

Thank you
                        This is one of the annoying red tapes here in Indonesia... If your husband's KTP is registered elsewhere, MOST local officials would try their best to refer ALL processing to be done at the local offices where his KTP is registered. Try ask your husband to visit the Immigration Office (KanIm) and ask whether they would accept the marriage document from the Indonesian Consulate in Vancouver.....

Comment

• Once again, different office, different information given, so typical!
                          My partner checked with our local CatSip and it's not a problem at all registering an overseas marriage, all they want is for the Indonesian embassy in the Country we were married in to certify the wedding certificate is genuine.... Frankly I can't see how they can't recognise the marriage!
                          IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by omdafyd View Post
                            Once again, different office, different information given, so typical!
                            My partner checked with our local CatSip and it's not a problem at all registering an overseas marriage, all they want is for the Indonesian embassy in the Country we were married in to certify the wedding certificate is genuine.... Frankly I can't see how they can't recognise the marriage!
                            I can't either! But, they tend to make things more difficult than need be. Even with the consulate here, I was getting mixed messages on who (me or my husband), could register our marriage. Four different people somehow had a different answer. And in the end it was quite straight forward.

Another thing that was brought to my attention in a different thread, how is it that I use my Canadian citizenship rather than my American one? I don't have my Canadian passport, only my American one, so I was going to use that for everything, ie SosBud, Kitas, travel, etc. But, I was told that it may complicate things since we were married in Vancouver, and that they would ask "where is your Canadian citizenship?". On the marriage certificate (both Canadian one, and the Indo Consulate one), it only says when/where we were born, nothing about our citizenships. I was born in the USA, so I don't see the problem in using my American passport for everything... but again, who knows? Any thoughts??

Comment

• hi everyone, I here am on sosbud visa, will be expired next month. Thanks for Atlantis and everyone in this forum, I've got enough info to start my first KITAS 317( sponsored by wife). However, my wife KTP is in Cirebon area, but I will try to go to Ditjen Imigrasi in Kuningan, see what happened(I reckon they'll tell me to go to Kanim Cirebon). anyway, I'll keep it posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by muzza123 View Post
                                hi everyone, I here am on sosbud visa, will be expired next month. Thanks for Atlantis and everyone in this forum, I've got enough info to start my first KITAS 317( sponsored by wife). However, my wife KTP is in Cirebon area, but I will try to go to Ditjen Imigrasi in Kuningan, see what happened(I reckon they'll tell me to go to Kanim Cirebon). anyway, I'll keep it posted.
                                So are u planning for a conversion from a Sosbud to an ITAS? Well... I am very sure that you will be asked to a KanIm Kelas I (Class 1 Immigration office). Its procedural... KanIm -> KanWil -> DitJen. Unless you want to apply for a VITAS, which means that you need to do a visa run and rushed to get your KITAS done as soon as you enter with the VITAS.

Comment

Working...
                                X