Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BatamBule123 View Post
    Hi there,

I was reading this thread to apply for a KITAS sponsored by an Indonesian wife of a foreign husband. Me and my wife got the KITAS successfully after undergoing all the procedure, going to Jakarta for the approval and emission of the TELEX to the Indonesian embassy in Singapore.

I am located in Batam and the closest Indonesian embassy is the in Singapore. After all the approval and the emission of the TELEX, me and my wife realized that there is a THREE DAY PROCESSING time to get the KITAS in Singapore! There is no way to get back home to Batam while your passport is held at the Indonesian embassy during that period. I don't know about you guys, but spending well over 175SGD of accommodation (or staying in a shit hotel for 2 nights 80SGD total) really doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Furthermore, while the EXPRESS SERVICE is NOT publicly available for the general public; an agent can benefit the express service for himself and charge whatever he wants for the service. I mean, I had to meet the agent at McDonald's on Orchard Rd. what the hell! They don't even give you an address or give a business card; that's how scared they are for their business, and obviously they should, because it's illegal.

This is clearly a DOUBLE STANDARD, it is by no mean LEGAL to withhold the passport of a foreign visitor for 3 days when in fact there is clearly an express service (one day - give your passport before 11am and get it back at 4h30pm).

This, without a doubt means that, on one hand you have the agent (for example HANA EXPRESS) making a profit from a double standard, knowing a government agent inside the Indonesian Embassy in Singapore that himself on the other hand TAKES A CUT out of that service. The one day service with HANA EXPRESS is 230SGD. There is no way I am gonna pay that next year too renew my KITAS.

The express service should be available FOR ALL AND EVERYONE and for a fraction of this price. I heard it is now possible for the public to get that express service in KL due to complaints regarding this kind of double standard corruption, insiders benefit...

Someone is making thousands of dollars everyday on the expense of expats and that has to change.

I am looking for people that would want to put their name on a petition joined with a legal document claiming that it is the public right to benefit that service. Joined with all receipt of each and everyone that had a transaction from an agent proving that they paid for a dispensable service.

We can kill their business and free others from the hassle.

Anyone interested, please reply to this thread.

I was in the same situation as you a few years ago as I figured 'how hard can it be to process myself' it wasn't hard at all but when the lady said it would be ready in two days time wow did I get a shock, luckily I was flying with Singapore Airlines so I could change my return flight free of charge and I also managed to convince the lady to make it ready the next day (i.e. one day less) after explaining that I didn't bring enough dosh for two nights accommodation and didn't even plan on one. This time round I will probably process it myself again and treat it as a holiday with the missus. I'll just make sure I book a nice hotel in advance, if you book through Agoda.com you can get some good deals.

As I remember, if I go there on a Monday morning it should be ready Wednesday afternoon, is this still the case? Is it the same in KL? I'm thinking of doing it there this time round, I like KL a lot more than Singapore.

-T_T

Comment

• I have been living here in Indonesia for 13 years. Work Permit, than ITAS Pensiun and now ITAS sponsored by my wife. The last extension I decided (following the wise advice of my wife) to do it ourselves because I was sick and tired to pump millions in my (anyway not very efficient) agent. I live in Karangasem, East Bali, therefore we have to travel around 100km to the Immigration Singaraja. And surprise, surprise - please read the link: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...on-office.html
      I had excellent experience with the embassy Wellington , as well as Vienna. Singapore, I can remember is a heaven for corrupt Indonesian officials. But before I pay an agent I would rather enjoy 3 days in Singapore.
      I would strongly advice everybody with bad as well as good experiences - publish them.

Comment

• ad (2) marcus: I strongly disagree. Why? Because feeding the agents, means feeding the corrupt officials at the embassy, because the agents of course have to pay them too a piece of their cake they got from the foreigner.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcus View Post

(2) This kind of thing goes on because the expats also have advantage . The agents charge around S$100 (more than the official Embassy price) for the service , so expats prefer to pay it than to spend more time and money in hotel , food ,..
          So , even considering it is not right , I think it is still a good option for some of us . For example , I knew a foreigner with a child studying in Indonesia , and she used the agent to avoid the child to be absent of the school for more than one day .
          Marcus, I was very very surprise to read that and been honest a little bit dissapointed, of course there is advantage for people to pay these agents, but the point is, if that is really CORRUPTION, we should not support that, are you JUSTIFYING corruption because is just convenient for some people? do you think is more important not losing two days classes of the child than to try to avoid support corruption?
          In my personal case I am possitive I would choose to lost two days classes of my child than to pay corruption, but that is just me.

Of course it is a option, to pay or not to pay corruption, but if it is not right, it is NOT RIGHT and to pay and support CORRUPTION should be avoid by everybody, it is funny how some foriegners critic this country for so many things, as corruption as well but if it is convenient for them they end up pay corruption.............
          Last edited by Shinta; 02-06-11, 09:51.
          Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

• Originally posted by think_tank View Post

As I remember, if I go there on a Monday morning it should be ready Wednesday afternoon, is this still the case? Is it the same in KL? I'm thinking of doing it there this time round, I like KL a lot more than Singapore.

-T_T
            I was there in January and it is right, if you give them your passport and documentation on Monday morning you will get it back on Wend afternoon, remember there is times to bring the things and times to pick up the passpot.
            In KL base in what mrcibubur mention here a few weeks ago, he got it on the same day!!!!!!!! read his post about the process he is doing himself.
            Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Michael Beer View Post
              Singapore, I can remember is a heaven for corrupt Indonesian officials. But before I pay an agent I would rather enjoy 3 days in Singapore.
              I would strongly advice everybody with bad as well as good experiences - publish them.
              Me too, last January I went to Singapore and I chose as well no to support corruption and relax in Singapore for two or three days, even when it was sooooo hard for me, because I have a child 6 years old and I never leave her alone, it was a very very hard decision to take.....

Comment

• Originally posted by rich3276 View Post
                No actually I want to stay in indo, so this will be the right way of doing things...
                1) If you still have some time before coming to Indonesia , you have the option to go directly to a KITAS , without passing through a social cultural visa (visa kunjungan sosial budaya , sosbud) .
                To do that , ask your wife to request a VITAS in Indonesia . When ready , the Jakarta immigration office will send an authorization to an Embassy (of your choice) , you go there to get the VITAS stamped in your passport , come to Indonesia , and convert the VITAS to KITAS as soon as you enter Indonesia . The VITAS and KITAS are in reality , the same thing , they are both ITAS (temporary resident permit) . The VITAS is a ITAS visa , and the KITAS is a ITAS card .

2) Otherwise , see below how to get a sosbud , and then how to convert the sosbud to KITAS :

a) Sosbud : Check the required documents at the Indonesian Embassy of your choice . In addition to the normal documents (passport ,..) , you normally need a "sponsor letter" and a copy of the sponsor's KTP (Indonesian identity card) .
                Below are examples of the Kuala Lumpur Embassy and Singapore Embassy .

http://www.kbrikualalumpur.org/web/i...104&Itemid=148 (sosbud)

http://www.kbrisingapura.com/immigra...t.php?lang=eng (sosbud)

b) Kitas : below are examples of sosbud conversion to KITAS . I think the KITAS process from VITAS is similar (You must quickly request the VITAS conversion to KITAS within few days (7?) after entering Indonesia) .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...2841#post72841 , posts no. 246/247 (my case)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...e...(Cup1981's case)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...-time.../page9 (Huck Finn's case)

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/14805-I-am-FURIOUS!!!-dealing-again-and-again-with-quot-these-things! (Shinta's case)

Note : There may be minor differences in all above processes , depending on the Embassy , the officer you deal with , the city ,..
                Last edited by marcus; 02-06-11, 18:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by think_tank View Post
                  As I remember, if I go there on a Monday morning it should be ready Wednesday afternoon, is this still the case? Is it the same in KL? I'm thinking of doing it there this time round, I like KL a lot more than Singapore..
                  In Kuala Lumpur , it is one day less than in Singapore .
                  See more details here :

Kuala Lumpur (KL) is a good alternative for people who want to get an Indonesian visa . I got there some Visit Visas - Social Cultural/Family - single entry (

Comment

ad (2) marcus: I strongly disagree. Why? Because feeding the agents, means feeding the corrupt officials at the embassy, because the agents of course have to pay them too a piece of their cake they got from the foreigner.
                    I agree that the agents , probably , pay the Embassy officers .
                    Could you be more specific about what you "strongly disagree" ?
                    Last edited by marcus; 02-06-11, 17:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shinta View Post
                      (1) Marcus, I was very very surprise to read that and been honest a little bit dissapointed, of course there is advantage for people to pay these agents, but the point is, if that is really CORRUPTION, we should not support that, are you JUSTIFYING corruption because is just convenient for some people?

(2) do you think is more important not losing two days classes of the child than to try to avoid support corruption?

(3) In my personal case I am possitive I would choose to lost two days classes of my child than to pay corruption, but that is just me.

(4) Of course it is a option, to pay or not to pay corruption, but if it is not right, it is NOT RIGHT and to pay and support CORRUPTION should be avoid by everybody, it is funny how some foriegners critic this country for so many things, as corruption as well but if it is convenient for them they end up pay corruption.............
                      (1) I did not justify . I meant it is understandable .

(2) That foreigner though that way . By the way , if in Singapore , the child would miss 3 days classes , not 2 . And at that time , visa in Kuala Lumpur was taking 3 days .

(3) That foreigner I mentioned had a different opinion .

(4) Shinta , I believe the human being is , naturally , selfish . When the subject is to do the right thing , but people need to do an , even small sacrifice , people will normally not do it .
                      So , people who need the visa quicker , or want to save the hotel fee , in general , are not concerned about how agents get the visas so quickly .
                      The same applies , for example , in the subject of global warming . People will not stop : doing tourism , riding their cars when not necessary , buying non essential things , ...
                      Last edited by marcus; 02-06-11, 17:31.

Comment

• Marcus, you wrote: (2) This kind of thing goes on because the expats also have advantage . The agents charge around S$100 (more than the official Embassy price) for the service , so expats prefer to pay it than to spend more time and money in hotel , food ,..
                        So , even considering it is not right , I think it is still a good option for some of us . For example , I knew a foreigner with a child studying in Indonesia , and she used the agent to avoid the child to be absent of the school for more than one day .
                        I do not agree with a "good option..." and it is not "probably"but CERTAINLY that agents have to pay at the embassy. Do you think they let them take all the money for gratis?

Comment

• ad 1) it is neither UNDERSTANDABLE nor ACCEPTABLE, Marcus. With such kind of philosophy we support the corrupt system.
                          ad 4) I agree, but that does not mean we should support it. The Government should make an EXPRESS process officially possible, charge more for it, but not under the table.

Comment

Marcus, you wrote:... , I think it is still a good option for some of us ...
                            I do not agree with a "good option..." and it is not "probably"but CERTAINLY that agents have to pay at the embassy. Do you think they let them take all the money for gratis?
                            I believe you misunderstood me , maybe due to my bad writing .
                            I meant that as some expats still use agents in Singapore , I think it is because they consider it a good option .
                            And I used "probably" because I have no proof .
                            Last edited by marcus; 09-06-11, 15:04.

Comment

ad 1) it is neither UNDERSTANDABLE nor ACCEPTABLE, Marcus. With such kind of philosophy we support the corrupt system...
                              Sorry to differ .
                              I think there are so many wrong thinks in this world that we , normal persons , cannot do anything to correct . Like you I am also against corruption , but I am also realist .
                              Last edited by marcus; 05-06-11, 11:19.

Comment

• Dear all, I am a newbie. I have read many very useful information on the posts and threads, do you know whether you can apply straight away for a KITAP for someone who has not been in Indonesia for 5 years, or do you need to have KITAS first? I am wondering what to do to sponsor my English husband who is retiring end of June when we both return to Indonesia. We got married in Jkt in 1979 and left Indo and mostly live abroad until now, but now we want to return after retirement to be with the family and live in Indonesia for a few years before we decide our final retirement destination. I have obtained a two months visa from Indonesian embassy here. If we only want to stay max for 5 years should we apply for KITAS not KITAP? What is the advantage of KITAP? thank you for your time to reply to this posting

Comment

Working...
                                X