rice,rice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faof house View Post
    There always are two types;setra Ramos,pandan wangi.May I know what is the difference?
    Fucked if I know, been here years and it all tastes the same to me - Rice to Asians is a bit like boiled Pasta for the Italians - only they can tell the difference but to the rest of us it all tastes the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
      Yes, red rice on its own cooked with a minimum of water is fairly dry. However, I just made a batch that came out quite mushy - here's the proportions I used:

1/2 cup white rice (sorry, I don't remember the brand - I had transferred it to a plain plastic bag)
      1/2 cup red rice

I rinsed the rice (for that I use tap water) and added 1 and 3/4 cup bottled water, and cooked it in the rice cooker.

Pro tip: for company, a mix of red and white rice is a beautiful dish! But, the rices must be cooked separately and the kernels left a bit more firm. Then when you mix them together, it's really pretty. When I have guests who don't live in Indonesia and aren't familiar with all the cool varieties of rice we have here, I like to do that.

I love good rice, I keep Japanese sticky, Korean, and Indian basmati rice in the kitchen at all times. The red rice sounds very good I'd love to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-sun View Post
        I love good rice, I keep Japanese sticky, Korean, and Indian basmati rice in the kitchen at all times. The red rice sounds very good I'd love to try.
        Red rice is very similar to brown rice in texture; maybe similar in taste as well, but it has been so long since I've eaten brown rice that I'm not really sure. Black rice is very different. It needs to be soaked before cooking, and then it cooks up into a sticky mass with delicious, slightly fruity aroma and taste. Even though it's sticky, each individual kernel retains its shape and they sort of "pop" when you chew them. That's not a very good description, but I can't think of any other way to put it!

I don't know how easy it is to find specialty rices in Ft. Lauderdale, but I bet you can order them over the internet!

Comment

You'd think there would be a bit more respect, concern and interest in a subject that affects about 90% of the population of this land, including I am guessing, about 50% of expats.

I wonder if the rice served in mall level Japanese restaurants is really Japanese, or is it at best mixture of local and Japanese? Any experts know?
          Last edited by johntap; 02-08-14, 07:01.

Comment

I eat organic rice. )

Comment

bought 5kg of "Cangkul" from Lottemart today because it looked good to the wife & was cheap at 47,500rp ...... steamed some tonight (we only ever steam rice & with bottled water) & the wife was ecstatic over it's quality (well, almost)
              Last edited by macvert; 05-08-14, 18:54.
              The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Originally posted by Faof house View Post
                There always are two types;setra Ramos,pandan wangi.May I know what is the difference?
                Pandan wangi supposed to have 'pandan' aroma.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus_amaryllifolius

Just buy less expensive rice. Wash, fold one pandan leaf and cook it together with the rice. Old trick.
                Rinsing the rice untill the water is not very cloudy/almost clear before cooking it, will make it less soggy -which is nice, but it also dissipate the vitamin B.
                I buy 5kg of 'Dewi Sri' for Rp46.000,- over a year now. No rocks yet.

Comment

These kinds of questions slay me. In a country with almost unlimited varieties of rice, where multiple varieties of the product are sold at every retail food vendor, where quantities as small as a cup full can be bought, and where prices make the product available to all but homeless destitutes, would it not be easy, over the course of a few days, to purchase and prepare a variety of offerings until you find one that your discriminating off-spring can tolerate?

Comment

Hi ! My family too doesn't relish Indonesian Rice .. reason too much starch. I buy Basmati Rice from Indian stores , Jakarta. There are plenty of variety available at the stores ... like Kohinoor , Lal Kila , India Gate , Guard etc. Yes these are expensive ... but I have no choice.
                    If winter comes can spring be far behind .................

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      These kinds of questions slay me. In a country with almost unlimited varieties of rice, where multiple varieties of the product are sold at every retail food vendor, where quantities as small as a cup full can be bought, and where prices make the product available to all but homeless destitutes, would it not be easy, over the course of a few days, to purchase and prepare a variety of offerings until you find one that your discriminating off-spring can tolerate?
                      It reminds me of an Ann Landers kerfuffle many decades back (long before the internet existed). Someone wrote to Anne Landers with a simple science question (not her usual purview, but she could be flexible). She was asked, "what boils faster, cold water or hot water from the tap?" Anne dutifully consulted the experts and published an answer, only to have some readers scold her for not telling the original questioner to discover the answer through direct experience.

It was subsequently pointed out that there are potentially more variables than one might think in even a simple question (aeration of the water was the example given) and that experts might illuminate the hows and the whys of what happens in an interesting way, helping the questioner to learn new information that a simple kitchen test would not provide. Besides, because of her fame and influence, Anne had access to more authoritative science information than a mere reader from Podunkville. (That was especially important in the pre-internet days.)

Anyway maybe this is a situation like that one. I had not known that Setra Ramos was IR64 until I did some idle Googling prompted by this thread. (For those going "huh"?, IR64 is one of the "miracle crops" of the Green Revolution.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hniecalista View Post
                        I eat organic rice. )
                        My condolences

Comment

Australian long-grain (silver-tip) rice is excellent.
                          Asam di gunung, garam di laut bertemu dalam satu belanga. https://linuxcounter.net/cert/352656.png

Comment

Hello.
                            Maybe you can make a visit to Serambi Botani in Botani Square, Bogor.
                            They have many kind of rice produced by their own farmer, varies from white to black rice. And also they have "fake" rice.

FYI Serambi Botani belong to Bogor Agricultural University.
                            I hope this help

Comment

I am an Indonesian, and yes it is a bit complicated because there are so many variant of rice.
                              I personally like Beras Mentik, it's soft and smells good IMO.
                              However I often hear that Raja Lele is good too, but I never try it myself.

Hopefully it helps

Comment

Hi, as an Indonesian, I don't really like to eat rice but once i wanna eat rice at home, i always have Cianjur 'pandan wangi' rice.
                                Its taste and smells good. One of the best as an original Indonesian rice. Maybe you should try it
                                [FONT=times new roman]Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X