Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing Prescription Medicines

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Importing Prescription Medicines

    I am from Australia and will be moving to Jakarta soon, and as a part of this, my family and three young children will be with me. All of which have some form of prescription medicine which may not be available in Jakarta based on our quick looks recently and consultations with our current doctors.

    So we would likely bring across bulk supply of prescription formula for our baby, medicines and creams etc for the rest. Has anyone got any advice on how we are best to go about this, or do we just bring as much of the medicine in as we can get and it will be fine, or do we need doctors notes from Australia, import licences, or forms from a government department in Jakarta to allow this importation?

    Also would we be able to import this from Australia to ourselves once in country or we would need to travel back out and get this replenished as we run low?

    Appreciate any advice or direction from anyone who has experienced a similar problem.

    Thanks

  • #2
    i have never had any problems with prescription medicines but keep the prescription or a letter from your doctor . I would be very surprised if you can not source an equivalent medicine here what you can buy is amazing.
    good luck and welcome

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, I do think you need to check out MIMS first to see what is available in RI.

      There are very clear formalities and processes for this situation (well, not so much the big amount, more about the type of drugs) coming from a Schengen country. But if there are no Australians who have dealt with this before, I would suggest you do the same:

      From a doctor, get a statement what is necessary (so not a prescription but declaration).
      Add a detailed medication list from a registered pharmacist of drugs that are not available in RI.
      Preferably have these documents translated.
      Have everything legalized (notary and Ministry, probably the consular department of Foreign Affairs).
      Visit the Indonesian embassy (KBRI) in your country and report it to them.
      Try to get their approval, they will need to contact the Ministry of Health in Indonesia.

      Quite some work but his way you're covered.
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sydtraveller View Post
          I am from Australia and will be moving to Jakarta soon, and as a part of this, my family and three young children will be with me. All of which have some form of prescription medicine which may not be available in Jakarta based on our quick looks recently and consultations with our current doctors.

          So we would likely bring across bulk supply of prescription formula for our baby, medicines and creams etc for the rest. Has anyone got any advice on how we are best to go about this, or do we just bring as much of the medicine in as we can get and it will be fine, or do we need doctors notes from Australia, import licences, or forms from a government department in Jakarta to allow this importation?

          Also would we be able to import this from Australia to ourselves once in country or we would need to travel back out and get this replenished as we run low?

          Appreciate any advice or direction from anyone who has experienced a similar problem.

          Thanks
          Hi,
          you have to hand carry your medicines, vitamins , cosmestics, body lotions, since to imports them, you have to have BPOM permits.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fransgg View Post
            Hi,
            you have to hand carry your medicines, vitamins , cosmestics, body lotions, since to imports them, you have to have BPOM permits.

            Haha. You think the 'Indonesian FDA' is interested in the color of your suitcase as well?
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jstar View Post
              Haha. You think the 'Indonesian FDA' is interested in the color of your suitcase as well?
              hi Jtar, Yes indonesia FDA will be very interested with your luggages if it it is.............Hello Kitty edition

              What I mean is, you can bring medicines (bring doctors prescription note along), vitamins, beauty cares products along with you when you arrive in Indonesia without problems with custom at airport(Hand carry)
              However, if you import by post (fedex/ups) medicines,vitamins, beauty care products, the customs at Indonesia will not release them without copy of BPOM(FDA) permit for each items you imported.

              hope this help....

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah that explains a lot. Yes, having medication (or any other product) sent in is often not a very good idea. If it does arrive, they can make it very difficult for the receiver.
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

                Comment


                • #9
                  What does BPOM mean?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steveandpenny View Post
                    What does BPOM mean?
                    Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan
                    http://www.pom.go.id/new/index.php/home/en

                    Its Indonesian Govt Agency that deal with Drugs and Foods, akin to FDA in USA.

                    Best Regards,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Check at https://sso.mims.com to see if your medicines (or equivalents , searching with the generic name) are available in Indonesia . You will need to register first (free) at https://sso.mims.com/Account/SignIn?...2fSendAssertio .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To help answer some of the questions about medications - we asked International SOS staff to update our information on Pharmacies in Indonesia.
                        Danielle Surkatty
                        Member of the Organizing Committee
                        Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                        https://www.expat.or.id/

                        Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                        Webmaster
                        http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X