Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Personal effects from Abroad?

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is doing well in these times.

I am currently in Jakarta since last year March when the pandemic hit.
    Due to the given circumstance, I have made Indonesia my temporary home.
    I wanted to bring my personal effects from Australia here which are just moving boxes filled with educational books and resources for the kids.
    However, I have not done so as of yet as I had been told that there will be a whopping 60% import tax bringing stuff into Indonesia which is ridiculous.
    I even made the mistake once buying some clothing from overseas and got charged 60% import tax + resell fees?? even though it was personal use and I explained it to customs but they did not care.

Now I have read that I need to ship my stuff from abroad within 3 months of KITAS approval but then it was impossible due to the Pandemic and every country was shut down.

Any Advice and service recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by AlanM234 View Post
    (1) ...60% import tax + resell fees... even though it was personal use...

(2) Now I have read that I need to ship my stuff from abroad within 3 months of KITAS approval but then it was impossible due to the Pandemic...

(1) Each kind of thing has a specific tax rate , and more than 1 kind of tax . In the past we could buy abroad (online) up to US$50 (if I am not mistaken) free of tax , but recently this limit went down to just US$3 (according to https://www.posindonesia.co.id/en/content/aturan-impor (Import Rules , Indonesian Postal Office)

(2) I have heard about this tax exemption for personal effects of foreigners with KITAS/KITAP , but this is the first time I heard about this 3 months limit . Unfortunately I neither don't know if true or not nor I have any advice/recommendation .

Comment

Working...
    X