Lending money to household staff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lending money to household staff.

My maid's husband back in their hometown has unfortunately got sick and I've been asked to lend three million for medical bills. The maid has been with us for 6 months and is fairly good, no real problems.

The money is a fair bit for me, but giving out three million won't mean i can't eat for the month.

My question is do you think I will see this money again? or should I just assume I won't?

In your experience does lent money to maids and drivers get paid back? I guess I'm kind of interested in this subject too as I'm trying to wrap my head around Indonesia - I'd much rather listen to real experience than just go off stories I hear from the people I work with (usually negative)

Cheers

Hmm, maybe yes you will if you make things clear and that the maid is trustworthy. She's new. But perhaps you can help by giving her less than the amount she asked for. To make sure she stays or that you get the money back, you can cut her salary like, for example, 500k/month? You can discuss the amount of money she can spare for the debt.

Comment

It is typical for an employer to be responsible for the health care costs of their employee, and sometimes even the family of the employee also, was this discussed at all when you hired her?

Comment

for the future i would suggest BPJS max 50k a month per person

Comment

I agree with R Cameron - typically the employer pays (within reason) - so the fact that she is only asking for a loan is already (in my view) a good indicator. I have often given loans to my maid/driver and what I always do (as whatever suggested) is deduct 500k per month from the monthly pay until it is repaid. Never had an issue.

Comment

You know her salary, you know how much she can paid back.

The rest is up to you.
            Give all
            Give half, paid back half
            Paid back all

The tricky part is to not become "the guy who will paid all the bill".
            La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Over here when someone "borrows" money, just color it gone. In your case, taking it out of the salary is the only way you will get any of it back.

Comment

You are going to have to take a chance, 3 million is a lot of money for a maid to borrow, I don't know how much you pay her or how long she has worked for you, but perhaps you should encourage her to put some of her salary aside, I did lend a security guard half a mil to get married, never saw him or the money again or get invited to the wedding
                Last edited by Anglian; 19-10-15, 13:13.

Comment

Unfortunately I would not advice to give a loan. I have learnt it in a hard way. My story is a bit long and based on my experience I know that sometimes repaying is not working well. I also heard stories were maids are borrowing money and then they leave the household without paying it back happened to some of my friends families.

I fully agree with scouser59.

At the end it would be your decision trust vs. "potential lost" dilemma. Oh and I almost forgot once you will borrow money they may start to ask to borrow money all over the time sort of "personal Bank".

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I've had mixed experience on this, but normally somebody who just work for less than a year wouldn't be asking that much money. In my case, there are quite a few (usually older employees) that borrow maybe Rp 500,000-1,000,000 just to tide them over until they get they paycheck. Normally it's paid off after 2-3 months. I've had some employees borrow up to 4-5 jt but it's pretty rare and the employees have been working for 10+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                      You are going to have to take a chance, 3 million is a lot of money for a maid to borrow, I don't know how much you pay her or how long she has worked for you, but perhaps you should encourage her to put some of her salary aside, I did lend a security guard half a mil to get married, never saw him or the money again
                      I wouldn't do it. I would guess it is a waste of time to explain to them how to save money.

Comment

explaining how to save money does not help with a current unexpexted expense. Yes, she could be lying - or else she really does have this unexpected cost. Or maybe she is leaving and just wants a departing bonus. Who knows. But let's be honest - it is $200. I think it partly depends on how much you pay her - if you pay her that much per month, then I don't think it is unreasonable to request a one month's pay advance for an unexpected emergency. If you pay her less than that per month, offer the monthly amount. If you turn her down, you will have this person in your house (presumably when you are not there) every day thinking about how unkind/ungrateful you are. Personally I would rather have a happy househelper than a bitter one. Maybe that makes me a sucker but so be it. As I said, I have made many loans in the past and each time they were fully repaid (by deduction from following months) and the practice not abused.

Comes down to the question of whether or not your trust her, and whether or not you have the resources to make the loan. If the $200 really is a financial strain for you, then maybe just explain that to her and give something smaller/what you can (but then don't leave receipts for big purchases laying around your house)......

Comment

Any way of checking the husband's medical history & comparing it against the maid's employment record?..... .
                          The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Never lend more than you can afford to loose.

Consider it a gift and if its paid back consider that a bonus.

in my opinion 6 months is not long enough to lend 3 Juta. I would offer 1 Juta.
                            [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOates View Post
                              My question is do you think I will see this money again? or should I just assume I won't?

In your experience does lent money to maids and drivers get paid back?
                              To be honest it would be silly to make any generalization. It all depends on the person and has little to do with his/her function or social status.

In some instances, pretty poor people have borrowed money from us and gave it back to the last rupiah while wealthy people have not and inversely.

In order to purchase a land, one of our staff has borrowed a year ago or so a sum which was equal to more than a year of salary for him with a repayment plan on two years+ and so far no problem.

At the opposite my wife has just received an sms this morning from a company which belongs to a guy which is filthy rich, with interest in the mining, hospitality, pharmaceutical and building industry, telling us that they will finally pay the money they owe us for months now. The amount owed is not even equal to half the amount our staff borrowed for his land.

To me, whenever we have a request I first try to evaluate my chances to recover it, one way or another. Preferably without having to infringe the law. If chances are good, and if the staff really deserve it and is a valuable asset for us, then I make a deal with no interests but a very strict repayment plan.

The question is: do you really know her and trust her? Do you really want to keep her working for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X