Best Motorbike Brand/Model in Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Motorbike Brand/Model in Indonesia

After perusing some of the used motorbike ads on the forum recently, I've been thinking of buying a new one for the house, in Bandung.

The price is important of course, but also one that is going to last a long time with minimal maintenance. Safety is a concern, too.

As far as I'm aware, the three major brands are Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. With pricing being highest for Honda.

I would likely rarely ride the bike. Mostly for Ibu and father in law riding 1-2 kms picking up groceries and such.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

In my opinion the Yamaha Jupiter Z should be a good deal. Yamahas are undervalued in Indonesia. Though I'm trying to get the newer Bajaj (not for your needs though, they don't have a scooter version in indonesia).

Comment

Jamie, I know very little about bikes and don't believe my reviews would stand up to much scrutiny. And I know nothing technical about motor thingies. Having said that....

I've owned a Suzuki Smash and Honda Vario with the Honda being far superior for power and all around comfort as well as robustness and handling, as I see it. I found the Suzuki small, light and as a consequence, I guess, it didn't feel that it sat on the road that well - truth is I came off it twice with road surface change being involved both times. Other drawbacks were power, or the lack of it, as well as the fairings seemed flimsy and prone to damage.

Mechanically the Honda just felt more reliable with instant smooth ignition, fluid standing starts and excellent braking. The Suzuki never broke down, but always gave one the feeling it could. it seemed to deteriorate quicker mechanically with small things like brakes being less effective earlier, rattles, or seat latch becoming loose or sloppy.

In my experience between a Suzuki Smash and Honda Vario there is little comparison between the two with the Vario winning hands done. It was just a better all round bike. you get what you pay for, I guess.
      [COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial]I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used too many illegal holds.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

The Vario is not only very reliable it is also user friendly being automatic & due to the large footpad / luggage space which keeps the centre of gravity low

Riding comfort is also something to be considered so that depends on the individual. The only problem I have with my Vario is the seat. If I ride for more than 10 minutes the riding position hurts my lower back, so to fix this I roll my raincoat up & put it under my legs, this changes the angle of my spine & problem solved.

My Vario is a 110 & I have noticed the Vario 125 seat is angled upwards more at the front but then it is also wider than the 110.

Then there's the Honda beat, still 110 & auto but seat height is a bit lower than the Vario & it has a shorter wheelbase which makes it even more nimble for parking etc than the Vario.

In saying all this though I must agree with Rabbit that Yamaha make great bikes & have a good range of Auto Scooters with footpads for luggage.
        Last edited by macvert; 27-06-15, 20:39.
        The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

I suppose that for bapak-bapak and ibu-ibu, riding a matic mb would me more comfy so yep Vario sounds ok. I've been owning a Vario for 6 years and everything is still ok, just some regular service plus ganti oli.

Comment

After comparing the Yamaha Mio Fino and the Honda Scoopy for the ladies here, we went for the latter, esp. since the Yamaha didn't have direct injection yet. But now (2015) it has a new engine so it should be up to par.

The reason for this shortlist, for the users, was because they thought the bikes were cute. Couldn't disagree with that and the retro (littel bit Heinkel) look was rather pleasing as well.

Still, I mainly looked at the ability to transport, also in front of the feet (the floor board seems to be somewhat bigger with these two than other models). Also not getting too wet and to avoid the stone-pecking and protect against rock chippings on the body somewhat (safety) played a role. And depreciation of course.

So far so good. They're happy. If I would make the choice again I'd probably go for the Fino since it has some nice new features (on locking).
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqween View Post
              I suppose that for bapak-bapak and ibu-ibu, riding a matic mb would me more comfy so yep Vario sounds ok. I've been owning a Vario for 6 years and everything is still ok, just some regular service plus ganti oli.
              Really? Your profile says you are 19.

Comment

I've just bought a new Yamaha 125 and thus far I'm very happy with it.

I've rented one of the newer Vario 125's for a couple on months and that was also very user friendly.

You can't lose really.
                Vengeance is mine; I will repay.

Comment

Originally posted by jukung11 View Post
                  Yah, she is indonesian!
                  I have 10 year old kid who constantly drive scooter in the housing.
                  Never heard kid going to school by themself with motor?
                  La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by jukung11 View Post
                    Yep my dad bought that mb when I was 13, then gave the responsibility to me when I turned 14 when entering highschool.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                      Yah, she is indonesian!
                      I have 10 year old kid who constantly drive scooter in the housing.
                      Never heard kid going to school by themself with motor?
                      Yeh in my case, busy parents so they can't take me anywhere at anytime. No bus route to highschool (I used bus when in middle school though), need to walk 30-45 mins to get ojek. Expensive taxi.

Comment

My daughter drives her mio to school daily and helps out with other errands since she was 12 . It is normal in Indonesia

Comment

Jaime, my knowledge on scooter is quite limited as I highly prefer real motor.

Forgot any bebek, they are not enough practical for your use and are not automatic.

I ever heard a comment on this forum about suzuki being more economic (and reliable).. But I don't think it is your concern.

My wife hated the seat of the scoopy (own by a family member) she said the seat (passenger) hurt her ass... While she never ever complain about that on the scorpio which is not a marvelous motorcycle.

If I had to buy a scooter I would go for a 125 because their general quality (comfort) can be expected to be higher. And for a yamaha or honda because they have better reputation (which don't always mean something) and you can find dealer for them EVERYWHERE.

Look for a 125 (yamaha or honda) with a good padding on the seat.
                          La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

I have the new Yamaha 125
                            & a 8 year old Honda Vario with a smaller engine - the vario sounds less "tinny" and is a smoother ride- hard to explain it- it just feels better quality.

Neither are any problem with maintenance: local bengkel once a month for a quick service (in our case the bro in law does it for us) and keep em clean & pop in the fuel as needed: that's all there is to it really.

* avoid the other makes- even though they may be cheaper- no one is much interested in buying them when it comes to resale... Honda / Yamaha keep their value way better.
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
                              Jaime, my knowledge on scooter is quite limited as I highly prefer real motor.

Forgot any bebek, they are not enough practical for your use and are not automatic.

I ever heard a comment on this forum about suzuki being more economic (and reliable).. But I don't think it is your concern.

My wife hated the seat of the scoopy (own by a family member) she said the seat (passenger) hurt her ass... While she never ever complain about that on the scorpio which is not a marvelous motorcycle.

If I had to buy a scooter I would go for a 125 because their general quality (comfort) can be expected to be higher. And for a yamaha or honda because they have better reputation (which don't always mean something) and you can find dealer for them EVERYWHERE.

Look for a 125 (yamaha or honda) with a good padding on the seat.
                              The Jok (seat) can be custom made for very very little money... I had a new one put on the honda with an extra layer of foam in it & it cost me 30,000 ... to be honest I was so shocked at how cheap it was I gave him 50,000 & told him to keep the change .
                              Cicak Magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X