Why are some Indonesians so weird when it comes to dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are some Indonesians so weird when it comes to dogs

Ive been travelling many months across Indonesia and have noticed that the Indonesian's, in general, dont have the best attitude when it comes to dogs. Obviously muslims dislike dogs because they think they are dirty etc. Even the muslims in Thailand (koh lanta) island are cruel to dogs and throw hot oil on them etc. A lot of Indonesians are scared of the Rabbies problem which is fair enough.

In Bali I was walking the hotel dog on a lead down the busy laneway and some of the locals were looking at the dog with disgust and some getting out of the way. I was surprised by the reaction of these people.

At the hotel they have 2 dogs which are always chained up and never let off. They urinate where they are chained up. When I stay there I go and let them off and let them play. The weird old boss in his 80's doesn't even like me letting them off for 5min. Today when I was playing with them he walked over and put one of them back on the chain.

Ive tried to tell the old fella's son that the dogs need to be let off for exercise and toilet. When I tell him he doesnt care. I basically dont understand why they would have 2 dogs if they are only there to be chained up all day. What should I do about this situation?

Why are Indonesians so clueless when it comes to dogs????

Sadly in Indonesia the price of a human life isn't much in some peoples eyes, thus a dog isn't even a mote in gods eye to most (with my apologies to Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle)

Comment

in indonesia, kids are told that dogs are dangerous. they could bite you with their teeth.
      plus there are some moslem people who claim that dog is haram, in the meaning you can not touch them at all , if those dogs touch you , you will have to wash yourself three times or seven times. (but for sure i have a lot of moslem friends who love dogs and even sleep with them)
      if you live in the suburb, and you see kids/early teens going to school, see their reaction when a dog barks at them. if the dog is chained, they will make fun of the dog. but if the dog is not chained, they would act like lil red riding hood meets the wolf.
      dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

i'm scared of active dog

Comment

well, what naughtygab wrote was right but in general I see the acceptance towards dog are better than before. If you see in middle class and up neighborhood, more of them has dog these days. Some even have more than one. Even some moslem celebrities has dog. In dog saloons I see woman in Jilbab bath dogs. But if you look at in the "kampung" area...yes...things hasn't change much towards dog sadly to say. If you see a dog in kampung area...tell the dog to go up town where the middle class is... who knows he might get adopted!!! Hahaahaaa...

Comment

I was surprised to note a few weeks back that there are substantial Indonesian laws against animal cruelty. Can't imagine they are enforced much (read 'ever'). I find even my neighbour's daughter, who has is very attached to her pet cat, does not share my (rather standard Western) view on what it means to be nice to pets.
            Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Originally posted by advancebooking View Post
              Ive been travelling many months across Indonesia and have noticed that the Indonesian's, in general, dont have the best attitude when it comes to dogs. Obviously muslims dislike dogs because they think they are dirty etc. Even the muslims in Thailand (koh lanta) island are cruel to dogs and throw hot oil on them etc. A lot of Indonesians are scared of the Rabbies problem which is fair enough.

In Bali I was walking the hotel dog on a lead down the busy laneway and some of the locals were looking at the dog with disgust and some getting out of the way. I was surprised by the reaction of these people.

At the hotel they have 2 dogs which are always chained up and never let off. They urinate where they are chained up. When I stay there I go and let them off and let them play. The weird old boss in his 80's doesn't even like me letting them off for 5min. Today when I was playing with them he walked over and put one of them back on the chain.

Ive tried to tell the old fella's son that the dogs need to be let off for exercise and toilet. When I tell him he doesnt care. I basically dont understand why they would have 2 dogs if they are only there to be chained up all day. What should I do about this situation?

Why are Indonesians so clueless when it comes to dogs????
              I see this as not minding your own business and doing things you shouldn't. They are not your dogs. You have no rights to dictate to the rightful owner as to how he should keep them. You have no rights to remove them from their chains. He has no obligation to follow your advise. If the dogs are mistreated then you should report him. Otherwise keep out of it and leave the dogs alone. What happens when you let them loose and someone gets bit?
              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

According to the FSM, his name be praised, FPI members are reincarnated as dogs in Indonesia….
                QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

last time i walked on Legian Beach i got bit on the arse by a mongrel dog,lucky i didnt break through my shorts aaargh...

Comment

Originally posted by vanuatu View Post
                    Sadly in Indonesia the price of a human life isn't much in some peoples eyes, thus a dog isn't even a mote in gods eye to most (with my apologies to Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle)
                    I, for one, have not observed that Indonesians, regardless of the cultural grouping to which they belong, value life less than, say, Westerners, if there is such a measure. In other words, no one I have met here thinks life is cheap. Beyond that, the value placed on human life has little to do with the plight of dogs in Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                      I see this as not minding your own business and doing things you shouldn't. They are not your dogs. You have no rights to dictate to the rightful owner as to how he should keep them. You have no rights to remove them from their chains. He has no obligation to follow your advise. If the dogs are mistreated then you should report him. Otherwise keep out of it and leave the dogs alone. What happens when you let them loose and someone gets bit?
                      Take note, Advancebooking, no good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I have noticed a completely unscientific correlation between the level of economic development and the treatment of animals in general. The exception may be some predominately Buddhist regions such as Tibet. I spent a lot of time in India in the mid to late 80's and the gratuitous cruelty to animals on display used to drive me nuts.
                        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                          in indonesia, kids are told that dogs are dangerous. they could bite you with their teeth.
                          plus there are some moslem people who claim that dog is haram, in the meaning you can not touch them at all , if those dogs touch you , you will have to wash yourself three times or seven times. (but for sure i have a lot of moslem friends who love dogs and even sleep with them)
                          if you live in the suburb, and you see kids/early teens going to school, see their reaction when a dog barks at them. if the dog is chained, they will make fun of the dog. but if the dog is not chained, they would act like lil red riding hood meets the wolf.
                          I second that!

However, ever since I moved here in US, I loooovveee dogs! They are smart and loyal and great buddies for the kids. I had 2 huge Rottweilers , loved them, and everyone in the family was so heartbroken when they passed away. I think after the kids get bigger, I will try to get some more rotties.

Comment

Its just ignorance in most cases - kids are told by their parents from an early age that all dogs will bite you, and then there is the muslim haram angle to.
                            My wifes brother (a big bloke) used to cower in the presence of our old kampung mutt who was totally harmless - it was really sad to see.
                            I think its just the ignorance and fear of the parents perpetuated into their kids.

Comment

Hi all, I'm new here,
                              I was born muslim, raised as a muslim, went to islamic private boarding school learned Quran intensively when I was graduated basic school. Many indonesians are informed by untrue sayings which makes them practicing in wrong ways, whether it is daily life as indonesian or as muslim; lack of knowledge, lack of study, lazy, believe too quickly what others say without analyzing.
                              Dogs are animal: nature. And in Islam we are human are ordered to respec, treat well the nature. I always had dog, bathed him, walked him at the beach, etc. And I have trained him not to lick me, when he licked me unconsciously then i need to wash that part properly so that i obey the rules in doing the right cleansing for doing 5 times a day prayers, touching Quran, etc.. (there's scientific reason for this, would be followed) so I'm really sorry for those (born as a muslim) knows nothing about how to act to the nature, using proper guidance for life. Dogs are one of some special animals that has been mentioned in Quran, besides bees, ants, cow, etc.. so it isnt right to treat them bad, as in the judgement all of those animal would be able to speak our language as witnesses of our good and bad deeds. And the story of loyal dog accompanied "cave of the seven sleepers", that dog has a "vip" place in paradise reserved already by God.

Comment

Working...
                              X