Do you believe in astrology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in Astrology?

Hm... Well, this far, I only believe in the good ones haha I used to be a positive thinker, but I get distracted easily by what's happening with me lately. So maybe if I read what's good in Astrology, it helps to trigger me to think positively. Avoid reading the bad ones
    Too bad I'm not a daily Astrology reader
    [FONT=verdana][FONT=bookman old style]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by gffgold View Post
      True. And what is even more miserable is that these tormented souls have denied themselves any kind of contentment or peace of mind in the hope of some reward in the afterlife, only to die and find nothing but blackness and finality. No choirs of angels or ambrosia or randy virgins.
      Nobody controls how you feel. If you don't like your religion, you are free to mentally reject it. If you still keep your religion, it can only mean you derive more peace of mind from it than from other things.

Comment

Not that simple. In many cases it means that, however high the potential benefits, the barrier to exit is prohibitively high, so high in fact that it deters defection. In some religions, apostasy is the deadliest of sins, leading in some cases to death. Other effects of apostasy include social and family ostracism, loss of social standing, violence, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
          Not that simple. In many cases it means that, however high the potential benefits, the barrier to exit is prohibitively high, so high in fact that it deters defection. In some religions, apostasy is the deadliest of sins, leading in some cases to death. Other effects of apostasy include social and family ostracism, loss of social standing, violence, etc.
          While you're not always free to formally denounce your religion, nobody has invented a mind reader machine yet. You still have full control of what you choose to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
            While you're not always free to formally denounce your religion, nobody has invented a mind reader machine yet. You still have full control of what you choose to believe.
            Once again, not so simple. You think that those who have been indoctrinated from birth retain full control to renounce the beliefs that have been inculcated into them as gospel from day one? You think, for example, that many, if not all, North Koreans don't genuinely love their revered leader and believe the state rhetoric?

Comment

Once again, not so simple. You think that those who have been indoctrinated from birth retain full control to renounce the beliefs that have been inculcated into them as gospel from day one? You think, for example, that many, if not all, North Koreans don't genuinely love their revered leader and believe the state rhetoric?
              If they are content with it and actually miserable without it, then who are you to decide they must believe something else? "Your belief is false so you must take mine". That sounds like, uh, religion.

Comment

I cannot believe that the North Koreans are happy with their lot, obviously some are, probably the privileged class,but I can only assume that they think everybody else in the world lives like them as they have no access to what else is happening in the world,people in North Koreans who question the system even after indoctrination end up in some prison or try to escape to China or SK, so hopefully we will never have a Machine which actually lets people know what we really thinking, people have a nasty habit of changing their opinions, whether the change is due to what they see on TV, read in the press or influenced by friends

Comment

If they are content with it and actually miserable without it, then who are you to decide they must believe something else? "Your belief is false so you must take mine". That sounds like, uh, religion.
                  I actually don't care what people believe in so long as they do not try to smother me or my environment with their blanket of irrationality and moralism. But then, you are changing the subject. The issue was whether people can so easily, as you claim, control and overcome what they believe. That is the issue at stake here, not the red-herring you pulled from your sleeve just now.

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 03-06-10, 14:13.

Comment

I actually don't care what people believe in so long as they do not try to smother me or my environment with their blanket of irrationality and moralism. But then, you are changing the subject. The issue was whether people can so easily, as you claim, control and overcome what they believe. That is the issue at stake here, not the red-herring you pulled from your sleeve just now.
                      And I still say people have full control of what they choose to believe. If their belief in the illustrious leader does not give them peace of mind, they can choose to believe in something else as long as they don't speak it out. Indoctrination emphasizes the virtue of certain points over another and omits the most undesirable ones, but it does not (can not) change the character you're born with nor your intelligence. It limits your knowledge, but it doesn't reduce your intelligence.

We indoctrinate our kids with our values from birth, yet (unfortunately) they are fully capable of ignoring it.

Comment

I am not too sure that this is the truth, that they are capable of ignoring it. Very, very few people change the religion that they were born into and programmed with. Isn't religion actually like a virus that is introduced into a family and replicates in the offspring at a time when their resistance to outside influences is very limited and have not at that point received any immunization? Parents do not look upon their young children as individuals but rather as possessions who should think exactly the same way as themselves.
                        We indoctrinate our kids with our values from birth, yet (unfortunately) they are fully capable of ignoring it.
                        Anyone who says that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...has never been in the bush

Comment

Originally posted by exbrit View Post
                          I am not too sure that this is the truth, that they are capable of ignoring it. Very, very few people change the religion that they were born into and programmed with. Isn't religion actually like a virus that is introduced into a family and replicates in the offspring at a time when their resistance to outside influences is very limited and have not at that point received any immunization? Parents do not look upon their young children as individuals but rather as possessions who should think exactly the same way as themselves.
                          1. If people are comfortable with their religion they tend to keep it, out of convenience. It's inconvenient (and dangerous in certain parts of the world) to formally change religion.
                          2. It is not uncommon for people to say one thing yet believe another. Without a mind reader you can't tell what a person really believes in.

Comment

I do believe in this, not at all 100%, but most of it. Why you don't try to read it by yourself, to see that the information somewhere may be really useful and really interesting. 1 week ago I read on sunsigns.org, and there were written that I am going to meet with a good person that is gonna change all my plans for that day. It was so, and now there is a question: Was it a coincidence or no?

Comment

I'm a Taurus, and my husband is a Sagittarius. I have found astrological signs and charting to be very accurate, but horoscopes completely inaccurate.

Comment

Yes I’m a Taurus as well. Warm Regards Bigvolt (Richard)

Comment

Working...
                                X