Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could taxation policy improve the country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could taxation policy improve the country?

In light of the recent proposals to triple the prices of cigarettes (by increasing excise tax), which would save 100,000+ lives a year and increase tax revenues, I've been thinking about other ways that taxation could be used to improve the country:

1) Tax of 3m-4m Rp per year on ownership of a motorbike (ie closer to taxation levels for cars) > less traffic, more use of public transport
    2) Tax on noise pollution -licence costing 20m Rp per year to be purchased by any institution (eg mosque, musholla, church etc) that wishes to pollute its neighbourhood with noise above 70 decibels > people can sleep better and become more productive
    3) Reduction in taxes on foreign food, so importers and retailers can make more money and expand their businesses
    4) Monthly tax of 5m Rp to be paid per Kopaja and Metro Mini bus, to encourage better buses to be developed (and drivers)
    5) Halving of alcohol tax > to encourage people to drink safe alcohol and not poisonous oplosan etc

Any more ideas?

the most efficient way to improve the country is to get rid of corruption , but im sure I will have left the planet b4 that happens , if ever !

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
      the most efficient way to improve the country is to get rid of corruption , but im sure I will have left the planet b4 that happens , if ever !
      Agreed...The Indonesian Gov't has an anti-corruption team (KPK) that is so controlled by legislators, judges and police, they are virtually powerless...it's just a front. The system is like putting a 'fox in the chicken coop'.

I arrived in Hong Kong in 1974 when corruption was rife...particularly among the police. The Gov't installed the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and it WAS independent and HAD sweeping powers. Most investigators were not even from Hong Kong...they were contracted from other countries.

It was highly successful although I understand that the mainland Chinese has now restricted its authority.

Comment

I'm not sure of the link between corruption and levels of smoking, or between corruption and noise pollution from mosques ? In relation to motorbikes - yes, because the police accept bribes instead of enforcing current laws.

Comment

Originally posted by RaphaelP View Post
          1) Tax of 3m-4m Rp per year on ownership of a motorbike (ie closer to taxation levels for cars) > less traffic, more use of public transport
          2) Tax on noise pollution -licence costing 20m Rp per year to be purchased by any institution (eg mosque, musholla, church etc) that wishes to pollute its neighbourhood with noise above 70 decibels > people can sleep better and become more productive
          3) Reduction in taxes on foreign food, so importers and retailers can make more money and expand their businesses
          4) Monthly tax of 5m Rp to be paid per Kopaja and Metro Mini bus, to encourage better buses to be developed (and drivers)
          5) Halving of alcohol tax > to encourage people to drink safe alcohol and not poisonous oplosan etc

A) Any more ideas?

1) I would increase tax on motorbikes and cars too .
          2) I suppose many country have rules about noise . Countries should study/learn what is used/what succeeded in other countries .
          3) To me this is a more complex subject . I suppose many countries (even developed ones) have some kind of protection against some kind of imported food .
          4) I don't know anything about Kopaja/Metro mini bus , but I don't think the result of this tax will be better buses/drivers development .
          5) I disagree . I would tax highly not only alcoholic beverages but also every beverage with added sugar .

A) Increase /create : the annual house/apartment/land tax (I pay only a little more than USD10 per year , exemption for poor people) , fuel price , electricity price , water tax , bring back the tax for people traveling abroad (except for foreign residents and for health treatment) , tax on credit card usage , big fine for burning garbage , walkway tax for houses/building owners , garbage tax (I pay only Rp5'000 per month) , motor vehicle pollution control/fine , income tax over house/car benefits , motor vehicle parking fee , tax on expensive cars/handphone/computers , big fine for loan sharks , ...

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

1) I would increase tax on motorbikes and cars too .
            2) I suppose many country have rules about noise . Countries should study/learn what is used/what succeeded in other countries .
            3) To me this is a more complex subject . I suppose many countries (even developed ones) have some kind of protection against some kind of imported food .
            4) I don't know anything about Kopaja/Metro mini bus , but I don't think the result of this tax will be better buses/drivers development .
            5) I disagree . I would tax highly not only alcoholic beverages but also every beverage with added sugar .

A) Increase /create : the annual house/apartment/land tax (I pay only a little more than USD10 per year , exemption for poor people) , fuel price , electricity price , water tax , bring back the tax for people traveling abroad (except for foreign residents and for health treatment) , tax on credit card usage , big fine for burning garbage , walkway tax for houses/building owners , garbage tax (I pay only Rp5'000 per month) , motor vehicle pollution control/fine , income tax over house/car benefits , motor vehicle parking fee , tax on expensive cars/handphone/computers , big fine for loan sharks , ...
            Changed my mind...no-way would I vote for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post
              ... I arrived in Hong Kong in 1974 when corruption was rife...particularly among the police. The Gov't installed the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and it WAS independent and HAD sweeping powers. Most investigators were not even from Hong Kong...they were contracted from other countries.

It was highly successful ...

I think countries should learn from examples like that . In other words , we should have schools for mayors , governors , presidents , legislators , and similar . It is a shame that we don't learn enough to take the most important "jobs" .

Comment

Originally posted by Davita View Post

Changed my mind...no-way would I vote for you...
                I know , very few would .

Comment

Another non-vote for Marcus here

Bringing back the taxes on travelling abroad? The Fiscal? Why?

Most of the others I kind of agree, although tax on expensive cars is already huge (you can pay almost double western prices for a high end car).

Why tax on credit card usage?

Comment

while money is disappearing at a "rate of knots" from government into various unsavory characters pockets , why should we voluntarily give them more them to buy a new Ferrari or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by RaphaelP View Post
                      ... Bringing back the taxes on travelling abroad? The Fiscal? Why? ...

Why tax on credit card usage?

In my view , a country is like a big family . With so many poor people , the government (like the parents of a family) should get more money from the rich people and less from the poor people .

Also , the "fiscal" discourage people to spend money abroad .

The credit card tax is also to be fair with the poor consumers who pay now with cash , when compared with someone who pays in average ~ 35 days later with a credit card (considering the same price , sometimes people even get discount with credit cards) .

Comment

Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
                        while money is disappearing at a "rate of knots" from government into various unsavory characters pockets , why should we voluntarily give them more ...
                        Well , this is another subject . For sure governments need to be more efficient (this is a big problem , not only in Indonesia) . This is why I said above that , first , governments should study more , be more competent , besides of being honest . Bad governance is all around the world . We should learn , for example , how Singapore and South Korea quickly became rich countries .

Comment

In my view , a country is like a big family . With so many poor people , the government (like the parents of a family) should get more money from the rich people and less from the poor people .

I disagree. Money/capital are now flowing a lot freer than labour. If government wants to prevent money flowing abroad, they should erect monetary control instead of slowing movement of people.

If people wish to spend their hard earned money abroad, then it's their right to do so. There are many better ways for government to perform their wealth redistribution tasks.

Comment

If the local people in a developing country have no faith in their corrupt government to not pocket a % their taxes for personal gain , why would they be interested to pay more or different taxes.??
                            no government is perfect for sure ,but levels of corruption in more developed countries is minuscule compared to asia , africa ,south america etc , and of course the justice system makes sure you would go quick to prison.

Comment

The fiscal didn't really affect the rich. It hurts the normal workers, maybe with a salary of 5-10m Rp, to whom an additional 2m on the cost of their holiday or cultural trip could be a deal breaker, so stopping them expanding their horizons and broadening their minds, which is certainly needed here. And I doubt whether the fiscal revenue ever made it to any poor people.

Having a fiscal for those going on the hajj or umroh, yes I could agree with that, anything to reduce the profits of Saudi Arabia, who harm the world so much, but that's a different issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X