Forum Software Migration Hiccup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidy100 View Post
    Apparently I have a message in my Inbox. On the top of this page where the Message tab is, I have a big red 1. However when I click on it to go to my messages I cannot find a new message.
    You might try hitting the refresh button on the browser. I have to do that every time I go somewhere now. Otherwise I get your result in messages and also the same on threads... they display my previous view of them (from yesterday or whatever) until I refresh.

Comment

I just got my first "not approved" post in more than 8 years . I suppose this new Forum version 5 has different limitations for either/both the post's size or/and number of website links .

Comment

Originally posted by Happyman View Post

You might try hitting the refresh button on the browser. I have to do that every time I go somewhere now. Otherwise I get your result in messages and also the same on threads... they display my previous view of them (from yesterday or whatever) until I refresh.
        I have figured that out, as well. Must be a programming oversight. Hope it's fixed soon as having to manually refresh every new page or new view (from latest activity to posts, for example) is a totally unnecessary pain in the posterior. You would think that "latest activity" of all sorts would automatically refresh to show, well, the latest activity.

Comment

[SIZE=12px]Due to numerous technical difficulties, as well as severe lack of communication between the Admin and the Moderators of the board, the available moderators have decided to take a break from moderating.

Since it appears the moderators do not need to be consulted even as a courtesy, it will probably be better if we (moderators) stay in the sidelines while you (admin) sort out the new forum situation.

Should the atmosphere improve dramatically in the near future, we may consider once again volunteering our time and efforts for your board.

The Moderation Team[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
            [SIZE=12px]Due to numerous technical difficulties, as well as severe lack of communication between the Admin and the Moderators of the board, the available moderators have decided to take a break from moderating.

Since it appears the moderators do not need to be consulted even as a courtesy, it will probably be better if we (moderators) stay in the sidelines while you (admin) sort out the new forum situation.

Should the atmosphere improve dramatically in the near future, we may consider once again volunteering our time and efforts for your board.

The Moderation Team[/SIZE]
            Speaking as a former mod, I find this completely understandable. It's discouraging to give a lot of time and effort to a community, then find out your efforts are held in so little regard that there's no "heads up" given about major changes.

Speaking as a poster, I'm also perturbed. While I wouldn't necessarily expect to be asked my opinion on whether or not changes should be made, I would expect (based on how other message boards I am part of have handled things) a quick "hey, the board will be down from timeX to timeY while we do a major upgrade, afterward we might need your help to work out the kinks" in advance. I'd also expect the upgrader to return to the thread he started and let us know that people's "hiccup" reports (or should I say "hiccup flags", since we apparently aren't using the word "report" anymore) are being noted and dealt with.

It's a shame.

Comment

The forum as it is now is a pain to use. Moderating is now even more tedious as some of the menus have changed, and you have to constantly refresh the forum to see the correct/up to date state of the forum.

What is even worse than the technical aspect however was that there was absolutely no heads up to anyone, not even the moderators. We could've at least tested out the forum behind the scenes and work out all the bugs instead of this mess.

I completely agree with Atlantis, and given the way this situation has been handled I find it difficult to continue my tasks as moderator.

Comment

I'm no longer prepared to put in time moderating this forum for the reasons given by my colleagues. Lack of notice, lack of respect for the board and mods shown by paman's failure to revisit this thread or give updates on progress to resolve issues, silence from the forum owner - all in all why would one continue. A very poor show.

Comment

I was also surprised and terribly disappointed when I logged onto the forum and realised what had happened without any information given to the moderation team. Let me repeat it in case it wasn't clear: the moderators (that is Atlantis, Dafluff, John Madden, Ponyexpress and myself) discovered the changes on the forum at the same time as regular users.

On top of what's been said further up, I'd like to add that I was particularly taken aback by the use of "we" by the admin in the OP, ambiguous enough as if to include all the mods. Make no mistake, the moderators had absolutely nothing to do with this because we had no idea it was happening.

Comment

Atlantis - Since it appears the moderators do not need to be consulted even as a courtesy,

you'll be told on a "need to know basis" ...... management .... haha
                    The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

At the end of this month it would have been eight years that I moderate this forum. I don't know how many hours I have spent posting and trying to keep this board welcoming for all. A lot. Too much.

One of the best part of my experience here, beside the interaction with all Users, has been, without doubt, the time I have spent in the moderation channel. A lot of banter and tons of very interesting discussions on how to manage this board with the successive moderators: Ponyexpress, mas Rob, Puspawarna, John Madden, Dafluff and El_Goretto. We sometimes have disagreed in the course of a moderation discussion but I have highly appreciated the fact that at all time we never stopped to communicate and we have always valued and considered the points and opinion displayed by fellow mods. Thank you for this time guys. You have been a great source of inspiration for me to try to improve myself.

This excellent communication and mutual respect is perhaps what has allowed us to work as a unified team over the years, despite our differences of origin, background, age, gender, culture...etc.

A few days ago, when registering I was flabbergasted to discover that this board had gone through some major technical change. As it has been hinted by my fellow mods, at no time we have been warned that it would happen. We discovered it, and the fact that it was riddled with bugs and issues which have not been properly thought and prepared, in the same time than the rest of the board.

Worse, we discovered this thread which has not been revisited by the OP yet, three days after posting it.

I guess that some of the questions and concerns raised by the Users of this forum would deserve a bit more attention. I can understand, being myself also busy, that one has little time to give to the board. Fair enough. However, if I know that I may have little time to solve problems I may create, I usually avoid to take decision which may drastically affect my clients. If I do, I make sure that I, or anyone else in my team, will be available to answer questions and take the proper action to solve problems.

As I said, we (mods & board) have not been informed and even less prepared to deal with the change. Today we (moderators) are supposed to moderate a board with most of the tools and environment we were used to having been modified. Many of the functions do not work properly, have disappeared or are located in places we are left investigating and discovering. Today the board members are left with unanswered question on how to deal with the modified beast.

Sorry Paman, I am 46 years old and long gone are the days I had pleasure to participate in a treasure hunt. When you will have fixed the numerous bugs of this version of the software I respectuously suggest that you work on your communication skills. In omitting to even have the courtesy to inform us so that we can prepare ourselves and help the board members, you have managed to alienate yourself a team of dedicated mods.

An example among dozens of others we could point. Our new version of this software has a new way to call the "Reports" made by users. It's not anymore a "Report" with the infamous triangle icon located on the bottom left corner of posts. It's now apparently called a Flag with the relevant icon on the bottom right corner of posts. Still our Posting Guidelines refer to" Report" and "Triangle icon".

"Yes, we welcome feedback on forum postings. If you feel a thread is becoming offensive, you can report the posting to administrators directly through the forum software by clicking the Report Button (the black triangle with the exclamation point in it).
                      Moderators, unlike before, are not even made aware of any "flagged" post by the creation of a new thread in the mod channel. therefore don't get excited on this "flag" button guys if mods don't deal with your concern: we have not been put on the loop.

We, mods, would have greatly appreciated to be informed about what would change in our "working environment" and that changes would be explained to both the mods and the users. It may sound silly but we wouldn't have find it particularly odd and zealous from an Admin.

Perhaps you would have preferred me to PM you. I would certainly have if I would have detected in your move to promote this change just an once of respect for what the Team has done. Unfortunately I haven't. Personally it's more than what I can put up with. If technical problems are solved in a short time frame and if the Moderation Team is given very clear guaranties that in the future communication between Admins and Mods are drastically improved, I may consider to resume my participation to this board. If not, no worries, I won't take it personal. My participation to this board is certainly not essential and I have no doubt that it won't affect it.
                      Last edited by atlantis; 08-07-16, 19:17.

Comment

My goodness this is a bad and deteriorating chain of self-inflicted wounds. Never thought I would say this out loud, but the moderation of this board is to a large extent what makes it fun and informative in equal measures; effective, thoughtful, and consistent moderation is the key to the success of the Expat Forum. I certainly hope that those responsible for the ill conceived "facelift" and especially the amateurish and arrogant implementation process get their shit together real fast and get the technical problems fixed pronto, but more importantly, make amends with the moderation team with all deliberate speed.

Comment

I was getting ready to log-out when I noticed a big red 1 in the upper right messages block which I presumed to mean one new message. As you might expect, clicking on the 1 took me to my message center, and also as you might expect, (as of late, anyway) there was no new message in the inbox, or anywhere else for that matter. If I were enmeshed in the local culture I would be tempted to whisper, "hantu hantu."

ps, I hope the hiccup repair service is back from the kampung on Monday.
                          Last edited by waarmstrong; 08-07-16, 20:41.

Comment

Unfortunately the "new mail" red flag also come up when you get a new notification. 

Comment

I checked notifications, as well as the messages in box, nothing there either, as of this writing. And what's with the " " at the end of your post #43, Rabbit?

Comment

Earlier today, I logged in under my own username, but it signed me in as Jaime C. Check it out: https://s31.postimg.org/jg6sjakrf/notjaime.jpg

As I tried navigating around the site and repeatedly refreshing, it kept alternating between logged out, jason206, Jaime C. What the hell is going on?! How is that possible? Not that I have anything private in my account, but I would hope that no other users have access to my messages and private account info. Of course, I couldn't post anything on here because I kept getting error messages. Is it working now? We'll find out in a sec.

Comment

Working...
                                X