Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd inconveniences of Ramadan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Odd inconveniences of Ramadan

    Man, I can't wait for this month to be over and for everyone to go back to being normal. In the meantime, let's share our weird stories here!

    I really wanted a massage today, as I've had a sore neck and am getting over being sick, so I went to a place that is open during Ramadan. No, it's not *that* kind of place with happy endings. It's a classy family spa type place. I wanted to get a skilled massage and body scrub, and maybe a quick sweat in the sauna. So I walk in and find out that they're open but only for reflexi foot massages during Ramadan.. WTF?!

    Everyone knows that bars, clubs, KTV, and "massage parlors" will be closed during Ramadan, places like that. This is not the same thing. It literally is a health spa and nothing else! Looking online, almost everyone says that massage is allowed during Ramadan, even during the daytime as long as nothing is ingested, which oils are not. A few people speculated that it might not be okay because it is still "pleasurable." If that's the reason, then why would foot massages be okay? Is it because I undress for a normal massage? Does the same apply to doctor check-ups? Ridiculous.

    If you need me, I'll be hiding at home or behind a curtain at a Western fast food chain.

  • #2
    Find a good service that comes to your home.

    I've been using Solusi Sehat in Jakarta and Bandung for many years. 2 hours usually costs around 180-220k, depending on your area. If you need the phone number, PM me.

    If you like deep massage, Ibu Yanti and Cinta in Bandung are excellent.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

    Comment


    • #3
      [COLOR=#333333]Bars, clubs, KTV, and "massage parlors" are open but with reduced hours and no sexy dancers.

      You would think Muslims understand this concept of majority rules when they live in America or Europe but it sadly it seems they don't.

      [/COLOR]Muslim women protest on first day of France's face veil ban. Muslims take to the streets of Paris in protest at new French law banning the wearing of niqabs and burqas in public

      [COLOR=#333333]LINK
      [/COLOR]

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tihzho View Post
        [COLOR=#333333]Bars, clubs, KTV, and "massage parlors" are open but with reduced hours and no sexy dancers.

        You would think Muslims understand this concept of majority rules when they live in America or Europe but it sadly it seems they don't.[/COLOR]
        Forgive them for their recalcitrance, but most of the countries you're speaking of are designed to uphold the freedoms of minority populations in the face of "majority rules." Ideally, I'd reckon that Indonesia too is supposed to work along those lines.

        The difference, and it's a big difference, between Indonesia and those countries you're speaking of is that Indonesia has multiple state religions while the others have no state religion. Until this fundamental, constitutional problem is resolved you'll continue to see policies designed to accommodate religious sensibilities and the problem with those sensibilities is that there's always more to accommodate.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tihzho View Post
          [COLOR=#333333]Bars, clubs, KTV, and "massage parlors" are open but with reduced hours and no sexy dancers.

          You would think Muslims understand this concept of majority rules when they live in America or Europe but it sadly it seems they don't.


          [/COLOR]
          Actually, I support those women's protest. Just as I support my friends' and neighbors' right to practice their religion and my right not to

          In Jakarta maybe those places are open, but I haven't seen any open here. I heard from another bule that some bars in Bandung are still serving, but not near the city center and I think they could still get in trouble. My friends said Bali bars and clubs don't close, going along with the majority rule thing. Personally, I don't care if the bars, clubs, and brothels close. I just want to eat lunch, have a smoke, and get a damn massage!

          It's funny... Several (most) of the spas and massage places that I drive by everyday appear to be closed, so I guess now we know what kind of services they offer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Now I want a massage!

            Comment


            • #7
              hows the noise level these days, has it been reduced as suggested by yusuf kalla ??? or is it as bad as always .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by scouser59 View Post
                hows the noise level these days, has it been reduced as suggested by yusuf kalla ??? or is it as bad as always .
                I fear not scouse, there are nine mosques surrounding me, all trying to outdo each other, they aren't even on the same page, just a bloody racket

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                  Now I want a massage!
                  Want the number? They're really good. Ibu and I sometimes get couple massages.
                  Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jason206 View Post
                    Man, I can't wait for this month to be over and for everyone to go back to being normal....
                    Random thought....It struck me as a bit obsurd, or perhaps just odd, to be describing pre-Ramadan Jakarta as "normal." Maybe non-fasting Bandung comes closer to the definition.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                      Random thought....It struck me as a bit obsurd, or perhaps just odd, to be describing pre-Ramadan Jakarta as "normal." Maybe non-fasting Bandung comes closer to the definition.
                      Haha... I had the same thought after I posted that..

                      I'll settle for disarming the neighborhood kids of their firecrackers, calls to prayer without sirens or sermons, having friends who want to hang out before buka puasa, and ingesting in public without fear of offending everyone. And then I'll find something else to gripe over. Speaking of which, it's still rainy season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Anglian View Post
                        I fear not scouse, there are nine mosques surrounding me, all trying to outdo each other, they aren't even on the same page, just a bloody racket
                        sorry mate , it must be torture for you , Iv lived in many muslim majority countries but have easily found areas to live where disturbance from the mosque is at a minimum , here its difficult .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          volume levels here have generally reduced of late although, due to the season, there is more "content".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jason206 View Post
                            Actually, I support those women's protest. Just as I support my friends' and neighbors' right to practice their religion and my right not to

                            In Jakarta maybe those places are open, but I haven't seen any open here. I heard from another bule that some bars in Bandung are still serving, but not near the city center and I think they could still get in trouble. My friends said Bali bars and clubs don't close, going along with the majority rule thing. Personally, I don't care if the bars, clubs, and brothels close. I just want to eat lunch, have a smoke, and get a damn massage!

                            It's funny... Several (most) of the spas and massage places that I drive by everyday appear to be closed, so I guess now we know what kind of services they offer.
                            Its not uncommon to appear to be closed when in fact they're open. Next time go up and double check.

                            The sexy dancers aren't staging any protest if that's what you mean. They're not allowed to 'ply their trade' and while I can't speak for all of them they're not happy about it because they're not making money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                              Forgive them for their recalcitrance, but most of the countries you're speaking of are designed to uphold the freedoms of minority populations in the face of "majority rules." Ideally, I'd reckon that Indonesia too is supposed to work along those lines.

                              The difference, and it's a big difference, between Indonesia and those countries you're speaking of is that Indonesia has multiple state religions while the others have no state religion. Until this fundamental, constitutional problem is resolved you'll continue to see policies designed to accommodate religious sensibilities and the problem with those sensibilities is that there's always more to accommodate.
                              Yes, constitutionally Indonesia is a secular state and recognizes six official religions Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. Which goes along with Pancasila, which I'm sure you'd know is the "belief in the one and only God" and agnosticism or atheism, along with blasphemy are illegal. The WTF irony is Buddhism does not have a belief in God, Hinduism has no single founder, no single scripture, no commonly agreed set of teachings and what can be called far too many Gods, Confucianism is a system of philosophical and ethical teachings, not a religion and Judaism, which is the root of the other two Abrahamic religions is clearly absent. So that leaves only three...really only two official religions (Islam and Christianity) which adheres to the principle of Pancasila while the other three do not. Well that was clearly well thought out, wasn't it!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X