Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I import from Indonesia to the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jstar View Post
    BTW, INACRAFT is 20-24 April this year.

http://inacraft.co.id

http://www.crafina.com

There must be a reason you are looking at Indonesia, right? Otherwise you could even do Vietnam or so. So is there anyone you know with an Indonesian background? Sorry to say, I would trust that more than some newbee on a forum who might see you as a walking ATM. Or who just wants to help you. Who knows.
    As a newbee in this forum I want to mean to someone. So, when I find a thread where I can contribute than I share what I have. I'm not the only newbee here and I feel sorry, if you have that kind of thinking about newbee. I just want to help.

There is no schedule of INACRAFT on that date in jakarta convetion center. check this out http://www.jcc.co.id/index.php/events-schedules.html
    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Chin Wag; 05-02-16, 06:52.

Comment

You have no idea...

http://www.aryani.nl/en/

There is a huge amount of 'wovens' from Bali, Palembang, NTT, Lombok etc. which are being sold in the west. Songkets etc as well.

Secondly, he specifically asks for 'mass production' to avoid unique pieces that are different every time. Those nice fabrics are all hand-woven so don't meet his requirement at all.
      Sorry, to make you confuse. I meant that They (Vietnam, India, China) don't sell Indonesian traditional fabric like songket, ulos, etc." because you said he is being late for 20 years and Indonesian products can not really compete with countries as Vietnam, India and China anymore. In my opinion he is not late and the products of Indonesia can really compete other country.

He said "...open to other ideas as well"

Comment

Originally posted by joe ragan View Post
        For what it's worth, if you are still in the States check this place out

http://www.indonesiaexpousa.com/exhibitor/

https://www.facebook.com/Indonesiaex...57680627825654
        Well, too late, if only I got this information a little earlier. Still, they have the company names, so I can contact them directly if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolyanych View Post
          Chin Wag, thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Typing on the phone now and can't find the button to pm you. If you could pm me, let's arrange to meet.
          I'm not familiar with this forum yet, let me see if I can do that

Comment

honestly i read this thread several times, and got curious what could be exported to US ...
            then someone mention songket, ulos etc... it reminds me that the first question from the OP should be, what do US people in your area need/miss from Indonesia? .. shouldnt you know what the market needs/wants to have from Indonesia.
            songket ulos etc are nice, but imagine who will buy it??? will they wear it?? should they hang it on the wall?? they should know the history or the reason why they should have one in their house rite?

not so sure where you live OP, but maybe it's better if you can make our own market survey , what do they like, how much money would they spend for some item, and would it still give you some extra money to keep?
            inacraft, or any exhibition like that is a good thing to see, but since that's open for public, you are not the only one who has that idea. i'd rather have you create something that would fit ( ergonomically, design, color etc) to your target market. i have tons of idea about what you can bring and sell.. but not sure which one would fit to your aimed customer. ...
            dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Chin Wag View Post
              As a newbee in this forum I want to mean to someone. So, when I find a thread where I can contribute than I share what I have. I'm not the only newbee here and I feel sorry, if you have that kind of thinking about newbee. I just want to help.
              Hmm, okay. But it is not really in line with what you stated before...

I'm not expat but I still want to join this expat forum. Yes, I know it. Let me explain. I join here because I think I can do something for you and you can do something for me and to do this it doesn't need to be expat or not. Yes, that's right. That's the point, to have a meaningful life by helping each other regardless his/her nationality. So, since we already understand each other, would you please tell me how can I help you and how can you help me?
              As Naughtygab said, that comes across as trading.

Anyway, I still want to warn people like the OP about doing business here unprepared without knowledge of the local culture. Not everything is how it seems. There have been many failures but you know what? People don't like to write about those.
              [FONT=arial black]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Hi, my friend lives in South Jakarta, Fatma Wati.
                Maybe the next time you are going to Jakarta you can make arrangement for a meeting and She will be able to assist you in relation to contacts and law.
                Her name is Ravira. If you would like to contact her please let me know via my email ( dhenri"me.com ).

Comment

Hmm, okay. But it is not really in line with what you stated before...

As Naughtygab said, that comes across as trading.

Anyway, I still want to warn people like the OP about doing business here unprepared without knowledge of the local culture. Not everything is how it seems. There have been many failures but you know what? People don't like to write about those.
                  That is all true. People who "want to help" one with a transaction often forget to mention that they actually "want to help themselves". I can think of a few calo I wouldn't mind roasting over a slow fire.
                  Still, I'm kinda surprised you are going off on CW so quickly. It is a rare person who is going to make a sizeable effort on the behalf of a business without thinking of some sort of recompense from that business, perhaps not even a financial benefit, but some benefit. CW could certainly be clearer about what he wants, unless he is "a rare person", but I'd also expect the OP to immediately recognize this possibility, and to follow up on the "what's in it for you" question, perhaps via PM. Seems I'm wondering if I missed something, Jstar, or what?

Comment

I think there is misunderstanding here about help that I offer. What do I mean about help in this forum is only to answer your question which is in my domain but if you need me to involve physically to help someone, it depend on my situation. The OP has sent me PM to ask for a meeting and discuss the opportunities about his business but since I have a lack of time due to my business, I can't meet him right now. In this case, I can't involve physically to help him but I've already helped him by giving my advice.

To make myself clear, I don't need anything from you but you need my advice, perhaps. Why? When the subject is my domain, none of the expat can give advice better than me since your advice will be based on your experience as expat. My advice is based on my life because I live in it. For example, how many of you have experience about export/import from Indonesia to US? If you don't have experience about it then your answer only based on assumption which could be right or wrong. This is one of my domain, I live in it so I can give him the right advice. Another example, I have PIC in the 35 provinces so it is easy for me to find the sources. How many person do you know in each province? So, when the subject is about sources do you think your answer will be better than me?

So, what am I expecting from the OP by helping him? NOTHING. Do I make myself clear? I said again, NOTHING. Hope it is clear now.

What do you get by doing it? Satisfaction by helping people and make them happy. How?

If I help the OP in his business and make him success, I have helped the sources to sell their products to make money as well. Thus the OP and the sources live happily and I'm satisfy.

Why don't you expect anything in return? Because I don't do anything that deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygab View Post
                      honestly i read this thread several times, and got curious what could be exported to US ...
                      then someone mention songket, ulos etc... it reminds me that the first question from the OP should be, what do US people in your area need/miss from Indonesia? .. shouldnt you know what the market needs/wants to have from Indonesia.
                      songket ulos etc are nice, but imagine who will buy it??? will they wear it?? should they hang it on the wall?? they should know the history or the reason why they should have one in their house rite?

not so sure where you live OP, but maybe it's better if you can make our own market survey , what do they like, how much money would they spend for some item, and would it still give you some extra money to keep?
                      inacraft, or any exhibition like that is a good thing to see, but since that's open for public, you are not the only one who has that idea. i'd rather have you create something that would fit ( ergonomically, design, color etc) to your target market. i have tons of idea about what you can bring and sell.. but not sure which one would fit to your aimed customer. ...
                      Here you reveal yourself don't understand about business. You don't live in it, you don't experience it but you speak out loud your selfish assumption.

Comment

How many business do I have? Mind your business
                        How much real advice? I gave practicable advice, not assumption like you did (OP prefers something to do to something to think)
                        Rude? No, it is only in your wrong assumption. For me, yes is yes, no is no. Don't talk if you don't understand especially when it is only assumption.
                        16 years old? Another wrong selfish assumption. How much do you want to bet?
                        original remark? Nothing to lose!
                        Visit an Alun Alun or Sarina and then find the source. That's easy?

You are upset because I am correcting you. The reason for the [COLOR=#ff0000]red brick[/COLOR], right?

Comment

Here you reveal yourself don't understand about business. You don't live in it, you don't experience it but you speak out loud your selfish assumption.
                          Chin wag,

I strongly suggest that you step down the tone a notch or two. You may have been irritated by posts confronting you/your opinions but this particular post of yours is unacceptable in my book. Not only it is gratuitous but it also sounds contemptuous.

You may feel that your advises are to the point. Fine. However, you should accept that not all people think they are and perhaps they have their reasons.

I have been trading goods most of my life, starting at a pretty early age. I have been exporting from China, Indonesia and most South East Asian countries a bunch of stuff over quite a few years, including handicrafts, wholesaling or retailing them in different European countries. In this regard, it has been interesting to note that products were appreciated very differently in Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, UK and Germany which were the countries we were selling our range of products in.

I wouldn't advise Crafina or Inacraft to anyone looking for an original idea, to anyone having little idea of what one is looking for or to anyone looking at a small scale business. Unless of course if he wants to loose money and waste time. Neither Crafina nor Inacraft cater to small exporters. They are of course welcome, but they won't make money here, sorry to say.

In fact if I would be the OP, if I would speak no bahasa Indonesia, would look for a small volume to be exported (Less than a container load - LCL) I wouldn't waste my time in any fairs and would go straight to Ubud, Bali instead. In one (long, several km, I think it's over 10 km of shops) street (Jln raya tegallalang) you would have there thousands of shops allowing you to see much more products than any fair would allow you to see and buy them or having them produced at a fraction of the cost of anyone proposing you anything in either Inacraft or Crafina. Many of them sell poor quality stuff which have been overdone and seen all over the world, but by carefully searching one may still find some jewels.

It has been said in the thread that the OP was late of a few years. I would agree to a certain extend, especially if one has little experience in trading. However, I still know quite a few people who make with just a few containers sold in a couple of months at the right period what people barely make in even a few years or more.
                          Last edited by atlantis; 13-02-16, 16:57.

Comment

Atlantis,

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                            I have been trading goods most of my life, starting at a pretty early age. I have been exporting from China, Indonesia and most South East Asian countries a bunch of stuff over quite a few years, including handicrafts, wholesaling or retailing them in different European countries. In this regard, it has been interesting to note that products were appreciated very differently in Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, UK and Germany which were the countries we were selling our range of products in.
                            Here you said you are an expert and as an expert in business you should know the basic principle of doing business, "buy at the lowest and sell at the highest"

In fact if I would be the OP, if I would speak no bahasa Indonesia, would look for a small volume to be exported (Less than a container load - LCL) I wouldn't waste my time in any fairs and would go straight to Ubud, Bali instead. In one (long, several km, I think it's over 10 km of shops) street (Jln raya tegallalang) you would have there thousands of shops allowing you to see much more products than any fair would allow you to see and buy them or having them produced at a fraction of the cost of anyone proposing you anything in either Inacraft or Crafina. Many of them sell poor quality stuff which have been overdone and seen all over the world, but by carefully searching one may still find some jewels.

I wouldn't advise Crafina or Inacraft to anyone looking for an original idea, to anyone having little idea of what one is looking for or to anyone looking at a small scale business. Unless of course if he wants to loose money and waste time. Neither Crafina nor Inacraft cater to small exporters. They are of course welcome, but they won't make money here, sorry to say.
                            Comparing this paragraph with the above, I have a sense of inexperience business player. First, If you advice the OP to show himself to the sources in the shape of American or expat, I bet he will never get the lowest price as the the local can get. So, my advice here, the OP needs to find a local business partner to deal with the sources. Second, you advice him to meet the thousand sources in Ubud. If he didn't find the proper products there, what next? Do you advice him to visit the other 34 provinces? I can't imagine how much time and money will be wasted. My advice here, instead of spending too much time and money to visit each province to find the proper products, he should start it at the fair, CRAFTINA to grasp the products of Indonesia and the sources. Is there any better ideas that you would advice? Third, I didn't suggest him to buy the products there, just meet the sources so he can do some research about the related subject and get the picture of some products with his phone camera. Later, he can share the picture with his local business partner to review it.

It has been said in the thread that the OP was late of a few years.
                            I don't agree. It is never to late to do a kind of business and the only thing you need is a fresh idea to do it better nowadays because business is only about duplication. Many times duplicator make it better than the inventor. i.e Google, 1996 is only a duplicate of Archie,1990. Google do it better and it more success then Archie. The same with facebook, samsung, xiaomi, alibaba, etc, they don't think to late although the inventor and duplicator have been exist many years ago. My advise here, what you believe, not always right.
                            Last edited by Chin Wag; 13-02-16, 23:07. Reason: grammar

Comment

Comparing this paragraph with the above, I have a sense of inexperience business player.
                              Luv ya. You have made my day.

First, If you advice the OP to show himself to the sources in the shape of American or expat, I bet he will never get the lowest price as the the local can get.
                              Honestly, it is a pretty ridiculous statement. Beside exporting products (which I have stopped now) as I noted before, I have been involved in the local trade for some time now which has become my main activity.

I am a non native Indonesian who buy everyday rice, fish and other commodities in large volume and re-sell them mainly to... Indonesian. I have started ten years ago by buying rice by tons straight from the gilingan, trucking it to my province (we don't produce enough quality rice) and then selling it to... Indonesian sellers of my city market and to warungs and restaurants whose owners are, guess what... Indonesian. The sight of a bule in the sawah choosing and negotiating rice has, at the beginning, surprised many. Same for my presence in the Tempat Pelelengan Ikan, or a few other places where foreigners are not a common sight, but there is a long time that no-one is surprised anymore.

In just the past three years our company has become the main supplier in volume of trade of some of the most important hotels and resorts of my province, which are owned by... Indonesian. How do you explain that, as a non native I have done that?

It's perhaps time that you realize that this silly assumption of natives being able to do better than foreigners just because they are native is outdated. Trading has nothing to do with the color of your skin. I think that if any of my competitors were thinking in the same line than you, they have started to realize that they should perhaps do a little bit more than just being Indonesian.

Your "I bet he will never get the lowest price as the the local can get." is a rather pompous statement which doesn't hold water. We talk about business, money, volume of trade. Not about buying three carrots and a single poncho in a touristic market, chin wag.

My advice here, instead of spending too much time and money to visit each province to find the proper products, he should start it at the fair, CRAFTINA
                              CRAFTINA is an exhibition which is held in Jakarta once an year. Last year it was attended by 400 exhibitors. This year it will be held on Oct 26-30.
                              May I kindly suggest you to perhaps first learn the name of the fair you so eagerly advise him to visit? It is Crafina, not Craftina. You have filled your successive posts with the same spelling mistake and this alone suggest that your advises, as an expert, should perhaps be taken with a pinch of salt.
                              Google-ing to find and share an information is fine. It takes more however to give the impression to have some kind of expertise.
                              http://www.crafina.com/
                              Last edited by atlantis; 14-02-16, 06:49.

Comment

I am a non native Indonesian who buy everyday rice, fish and other commodities in large volume and re-sell them mainly to... Indonesian. I have started ten years ago by buying rice by tons straight from the gilingan, trucking it to my province (we don't produce enough quality rice) and then selling it to... Indonesian sellers of my city market and to warungs and restaurants whose owners are, guess what... Indonesian. The sight of a bule in the sawah choosing and negotiating rice has, at the beginning, surprised many. Same for my presence in the Tempat Pelelengan Ikan, or a few other places where foreigners are not a common sight, but there is a long time that no-one is surprised anymore.
                                Now, I get your point that you are misleading toward the OP's request.

How do you explain that, as a non native I have done that?
                                My simple explanation about it, you have done it not in a really right way and your price is not good both buying and selling price. If you think you do, congratulation.

It's perhaps time that you realize that this silly assumption of natives being able to do better than foreigners just because they are native is outdated.
                                Good Luck!

Not about buying three carrots and a single poncho in a touristic market, chin wag.
                                None of my posts refer to this. Refer to the OP's request, he needs small/lightweight items which surely not about rice, fish and commodities.

May I kindly suggest you to perhaps first learn the name of the fair you so eagerly advise him to visit? It is Crafina, not Craftina. You have filled your successive posts with the same spelling mistake and this alone suggest that your advises, as an expert, should perhaps be taken with a pinch of salt.
                                Got it and thanks for correcting. I wrote this as my reply to jstar previously (long before you exist in this thread),
                                [COLOR=#000000]There is no schedule of INACRAFT on that date in jakarta convetion center. check this out [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]http://www.jcc.co.id/index.php/events-schedules.html[/COLOR]
                                I know the right spelling of it thru the link. So, does this spelling mistake is a big deal for you toward the subject?

Since you said that you are a buyer of such commodities, I guess you are one of my customer. (no need to put this into account, just guessing).

Comment

Working...
                                X