Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My neighbor almost put his hands on me this morning!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My neighbor almost put his hands on me this morning!!

I'm not exactly an expat but I don't know where to put this thread. Tried to post this somewhere else but what have I done so far have been futile. So mods feel free to move/delete the thread if it does not follow the forum's theme nor rules accordingly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I live by myself in a gated community in a suburb somewhere in Lippo Karawaci. The gated community which consisted of around 250 houses has security guards as well as other amenities, and it's run by an HOA body. A year ago I was elected a board member as the treasurer.

The major problem the HOA faces is a few homeowners' delinquency to pay the HOA fees ($20-30/month), so at the beginning of this year, we put up a sanction that every homeowner that is behind with their payment for more than 6 months, will lose their privilege to park their cars, as well as their guests entry to the gated community. If a certain home is still behind for more than a year, the homeowners will be denied access NOT to their properties, but to the driveway/road even if it's by foot (so the homeowners still can access with other methods such as teleportation or flying, I know it sounds silly) until they can pay their dues or agree to a payment plan that we offered. There's this neighbor of mine who is behind with his HOA dues for almost 4 years, the previous treasurer had given up on collecting the dues from him. Since I became the treasurer, I've had countless meetings with this guy and had offered several payment plans as well as deduction of the total bill, and every time he promised to pay the HOA fees but not a single payment was done. A week ago he got caught bringing a large moving truck into the complex, turned out that he was planning to fled somewhere else and I instructed the security guard to refuse the truck's entrance, later on the day, he and his family had gone from their house without brining any item/furniture from the house and had yet to be seen for a couple of days.

This morning I was awaken by one of the satpams saying that the guy had returned to the gated community with his wife and they were enraged that their access to the driveway/road that leads to their house had been repudiated (none of the other HOA board members were at home). And I got into a heated argument with them, and suddenly he went berserk, if the security guards hadn't hold him off and one of them didn't rescue me (literally swept me off my feet from the scene) I would've got punched. He left anyway without any of his belongings.

Anyone knows how to deal with this kind of situation?

A few points that I'd like to share:

1. The access road/driveway and everything inside the gated community are maintained and completely funded by our own, solely by using the cash from the collected HOA dues, we don't accept public money from Pemda for the aspal and stuffs.

2. I'm not an attorney by any kind, but I have yet to see any Indonesian law that permits the HOA to put lien or foreclose the houses that are behind with their HOA payments. No detailed rules regarding HOA, except this one clause that says "all homeowners inside HOA must pay their dues, or subjected to imprisonment"

3. All the members of the HOA boards are not paid for their time and effort and still charged the same rate as other homeowners.

4. According to my neighbor, the house that he lives in is not his, but in fact belongs to one of his relatives, he's just allowed to stay in the house by the actual homeowner (reason unknown).
    Last edited by Communion; 02-02-14, 18:19.

Was thinking, maybe you could have had a chance to get the 4 years overdue fees if the security guard didn't sweep you off your feet ..

Comment

I don't think you have any authority to prevent him from getting into his house or force him to pay. I think you'd need to involve the cops but we all know it may not always be a good idea.

My feeling though is that if I were him, I wouldn't want to cross the satpam because ultimately, some of this HOA fee is going to pay the satpam and these guys are the only ones between their house and thieves. I'm not suggesting anything illegal but maybe this guy runs the risk of getting his house broken into or trashed with this behavior.

What about the RT and RW? What do they say about this?

Comment

what situation? the hoa one or the assault??

who is the guy who attacked you? bule? or indo? and you said you are not exactly an expat? whats that mean? (just so i understand)

is the tenant liable for hoa dues? or the legal homeowner? did you check the rules and what law you have to stop him removing his own property?

and FOUR years? why let it go on so long?

i would have thought you should have instructed lawyers years ago to collect it, or contact the homeowner if it is not the tenants liability

so its $20 a month for 4 years? so less than $1,000 total?

you got into an argument with him you said? why? did you touch him in anyway? insult him? offend him? he doesnt owe the money to you personally and its been going on for 4 years?
        you should have just kept calm, perhaps now he can make problem more for you

anyway you would have known all this when you took the job on

not sure what advise you want? how to deal with nonpayment of hoa dues? or how to report the incident to the police? is it recorded on cctv?
        how was it "left" ? he is going to come back and get his furniture? are you going to stop him again? and argue with him again?

does your hoa have any legal power to stop tenants or just a community by-law? i cannot see how you can legally stop him entering the property to remove his possessions, i would check all the small print of the contracts etc, thats all i can suggest, and dont get into confrontation in this country, especially only for $1000 which is not even owed to you directly - is it worth all the hassle and pain? who knows what this man will do now to you?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
          I don't think you have any authority to prevent him from getting into his house or force him to pay. I think you'd need to involve the cops but we all know it may not always be a good idea.

What about the RT and RW? What do they say about this?
          I didn't prevent him from getting into his property, instead I prevented him from using the utilities provided by the community, that means the front gate. No RT RW here, my neighborhood is one of those clusters that HOA management had been transferred from the developer to the residents.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky73 View Post
            what situation? the hoa one or the assault??

who is the guy who attacked you? bule? or indo? and you said you are not exactly an expat? whats that mean? (just so i understand)

is the tenant liable for hoa dues? or the legal homeowner? did you check the rules and what law you have to stop him removing his own property?

and FOUR years? why let it go on so long?

i would have thought you should have instructed lawyers years ago to collect it, or contact the homeowner if it is not the tenants liability

so its $20 a month for 4 years? so less than $1,000 total?

you got into an argument with him you said? why? did you touch him in anyway? insult him? offend him? he doesnt owe the money to you personally and its been going on for 4 years?
            you should have just kept calm, perhaps now he can make problem more for you

anyway you would have known all this when you took the job on

not sure what advise you want? how to deal with nonpayment of hoa dues? or how to report the incident to the police? is it recorded on cctv?
            how was it "left" ? he is going to come back and get his furniture? are you going to stop him again? and argue with him again?

does your hoa have any legal power to stop tenants or just a community by-law? i cannot see how you can legally stop him entering the property to remove his possessions, i would check all the small print of the contracts etc, thats all i can suggest, and dont get into confrontation in this country, especially only for $1000 which is not even owed to you directly - is it worth all the hassle and pain? who knows what this man will do now to you?
            The guy who almost attacked me is an Indo, I wasn't born in Indo but my mom is Javanese, I moved here when I was 6. Never consider myself an expat tbh.

I didn't touch him. I actually kept my composure throughout the argument.

The HOA boardmembers tend to avoid legal anything related to meja hijau and prefer to mediate things. $24 a month, he's due is a little more than $1000 actually.

According to AD/ART (Anggaran Dasar/Rumah Tangga) the guy as one of the residents, is liable to pay the HOA fees although he doesn't have any kinds of contract as in renting a house scenario.

I'm just so freakin pissed by the way he treated me
            Last edited by Communion; 03-02-14, 11:19.

Comment

Let's hope he doesn't come back with a bunch of goons the next time and beat the crap out of the Satpam and or you. If the developer didn't include a facility for actually collecting these fees, then they're idiots. The honor system doesn't work so well.

Maybe build a 10 foot brick wall in front of their residence?
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

just let it go, its not worth the hassle

Comment

Originally posted by Communion View Post
                  I didn't prevent him from getting into his property, instead I prevented him from using the utilities provided by the community, that means the front gate. No RT RW here, my neighborhood is one of those clusters that HOA management had been transferred from the developer to the residents.
                  I'm curious because I thought RT/RW thing (which is still obscure to me) was required everywhere. So what if you need to renew your KTP, where do you get that "letter from the RT"? Also, what does HOA stand for?
                  Last edited by El_Goretto; 02-02-14, 20:49. Reason: Damn you autocorrect!

Comment

Home Owners Association

because its a gated "private" community they wouldnt have the tradition rt/rw thing or local satpam, its more expat orientated, service charge etc etc

i guess sort of like living in kemang village or puri casablanca etc, the service charge pays for common areas
                    so technically if u didnt pay ur s/c they could stop u using the lift or swimming pool

but as this has dragged on for 4 years, seems its better for the op to stay out of it, especially as the owner / aggressor is indonesian and the op is not

not worth all the hassle to collect someone elses debt

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                      I'm curious because I thought RT/RW thing (which is still obscure to me) was required everywhere. So what if you need to renew your KTP, where do you get that "letter from the RT"? Also, what does HOA stand for?
                      What Sparky73 said, for KTP and stuffs like that the HOA can release the statement letter as needed by the applicant and then proceeds it further to the kelurahan.

Comment

It makes better sense to let the guy take his stuff and move out, so you can get a paying customer in his place. He obviously isn't going to pay you a dime.

Comment

considering its a voluntary position, and you mean well, i would just let it go, let him go, you dont need to be upsetting a local and looking over your shoulder for months to come

remember he knows who you are, where you live etc etc, people get stabbed for less than $1000 these days, heck for less than that you can probably pay someone to get stabbed

if you see him again you can always even say oh sorry mate, my mistake i misunderstanding, confused you with the owner, sorry no offence etc, at least that way just diffuse the situation even if it is all just b.s at least you didnt leave him pi55ed off at you

Comment

Originally posted by sparky73 View Post
                            considering its a voluntary position, and you mean well, i would just let it go, let him go, you dont need to be upsetting a local and looking over your shoulder for months to come

remember he knows who you are, where you live etc etc, people get stabbed for less than $1000 these days, heck for less than that you can probably pay someone to get stabbed

if you see him again you can always even say oh sorry mate, my mistake i misunderstanding, confused you with the owner, sorry no offence etc, at least that way just diffuse the situation even if it is all just b.s at least you didnt leave him pi55ed off at you
                            I was a bit shaken today actually , one of the security guards is now spending the night at my house in case the guy returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Communion View Post
                              I was a bit shaken today actually , one of the security guards is now spending the night at my house in case the guy returns.

hhhmm i wouldnt have done that, im sure he is honest but im sure he is also enjoying the chance to have a sniff round what you have that can be lifted from your house next time you are away and that local guy comes back

up to you though, you seem like a nice guy, innocent naive maybe trying to help everyone out, just be careful thats all i will say
                              inviting people strangers to stay in your place seems unusual

is he staying there for his safety or for your safety? to protect you?
                              i assume he is off duty today and doing this on his own time, not in lieu of his official duty on the gate, otherwise the other residents will be upset to know that the security detail is light tonight as one of them is kipping in your place on a personal job hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X