Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marrying Muslim Girlfriend

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marrying Muslim Girlfriend

    Hi, I'm a Singaporean Non-Muslim planning to marry my Indonesian Muslim girlfriend in Indonesia. We have gone thru the nikah siri but there was no signed documents.
    What other procedures and documents do we need?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    You cannot.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you are not Muslim, how did you go through a Nikah Siri? You can only marry in Indonesia if you convert ti Islam. Better to get married in Singapore and then register the marriage here.
      [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

      Comment


      • #4
        Mix religion marriage is not allowed in Indonesia. How did you go through a nikah siri if you're not a muslim? and for nikah siri, there's no such a thing as any signed document, not at all. To Indonesian marriage law, nikah siri doesn't exist.
        [FONT=times new roman]Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.[/FONT]

        Comment


        • #5
          I married my GF by Nika Siri when we got our first apartment together to appease her mother, we got a certificate but its just to prove that Imam XXX married us in the ceromony on the date of XXX and as pointed out this is just to prove (mark) the occassion and has no bearing under the law.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by mark.wong View Post
            Hi, I'm a Singaporean Non-Muslim planning to marry my Indonesian Muslim girlfriend in Indonesia. We have gone thru the nikah siri but there was no signed documents.
            What other procedures and documents do we need?

            Thank you.
            you can do the documents in singapore, then have a marriage-type ceremony in Indonesia

            Comment


            • #8
              If you want to marry a Muslim woman in Indonesia and have that marriage recognized by the Indonesian government (with paperwork), you have to convert to Islam (take the shahada in front of witnesses and ustatz), marry under KUA (Department of Religion), then you can have your marriage registered civilly by Catatan Sipil. KUA will issue Buku Nikah Suomi dan Isteri (marriage books for husband and wife). From Catatan Sipil you get a certificate (that is the secular recognition of your marriage by Indonesian government).

              Although, as a believing Muslim, I cannot advise or condone the taking of shahada (entering Islam) for one who does not believe in and accept the basic principles and core beliefs of Islam (there is but one God, His name is Allah, and Mohammed is His Messenger), nevertheless this is the procedure that must be followed to marry a Muslim woman in Indonesia, and many do so. You will most likely not be required to do anything extensively to prove your sincerity about entering Islam, as long as you are willing to learn and say the words of shahada in Arabic. If that pleases and satisfies your wife and / or her family, so be it.

              (Apologies for interjecting religion into the thread, completely off-topic, I know. It was probably the words "marrying" and "Muslim" that threw me off course.)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

              The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

              Comment


              • #9
                try to keep religion out of love between to people. That will suit all religions not only Islam. Love between two people has nothing to do with religion nothing at all.
                I know first hand!

                Comment


                • #10
                  What is your religion? If you are Catholic, the Catholic church will probably marry you. If you are not Catholic, the Catholic church will probably marry you. If neither one of likes Catholics, you have Fu*K tattooed on your forehead, and you are allergic to holy water, the Catholic church will probably marry you. But, you have to take a marriage class first (at least where I got married).

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Get a pre-nup. if you don't your wife will lose the right to purchase land.

                    (previously read, "to own land", which is incorrect, as only land which is jointly owned is a problem)
                    Last edited by Happyman; 03-11-14, 12:24.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Svendborg55 View Post
                      try to keep religion out of love between to people. That will suit all religions not only Islam. Love between two people has nothing to do with religion nothing at all.
                      I know first hand!
                      Love doesn't you're right, but marriage does whether you like it or not.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        I don't know what planet you come from Happyman. You can marry simple and i guess be more happy than you.
                        And btw what Catholic's to do with this. Is is not about a man who loves a woman? Or maybe I am wrong. And just for the record Happyman you are wrong very wrong.
                        Best advice to Mark: Take her out of Indonesia and get married that is fully legal.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Svendborg55 View Post
                          I don't know what planet you come from Happyman. You can marry simple and i guess be more happy than you.
                          And btw what Catholic's to do with this. Is is not about a man who loves a woman? Or maybe I am wrong. And just for the record Happyman you are wrong very wrong.
                          Best advice to Mark: Take her out of Indonesia and get married that is fully legal.
                          I don't understand what it is that you are undestanding me to have said...
                          You can marry across religions in the Catholic church. I am not Catholic. I got married in a Catholic church. I am legally married to the woman I married in the Catholic church. I am so legally married, that the government is willing to give me a KITAP based on it. There were other people in my marriage class at the Catholic church. Some of them were not Catholic. Why ere they there? They wanted to get married. Where did they want to get married? In the... You know what, Svend, you are right, churches have nothing to do with weddings.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                            You can marry across religions in the Catholic church. I am not Catholic. I got married in a Catholic church. I am legally married to the woman I married in the Catholic church. I am so legally married, that the government is willing to give me a KITAP based on it. There were other people in my marriage class at the Catholic church. Some of them were not Catholic. Why ere they there? They wanted to get married. Where did they want to get married? In the[/B]... You know what, Svend, you are right, churches have nothing to do with weddings.
                            I'm guessing that at the very least, you ticked a little box on a government form or two that officially listed your religion as "Katolik".

                            In any case, you are not Muslim and you did not marry a Muslim in a Catholic church. I can tell you for sure that the laws of Indonesia do not allow a Muslim woman to marry a man, in Indonesia, who does not, at minimum, take shahada during the wedding ceremony and most likely has formally converted to Islam before an ustatz and witnesses (with or without a certificate to "prove" it). This marriage law follows the religion itself, naturally, which says that Muslimah should not be given in marriage to non-Muslims. Don't tell the OP that he and his Indonesian Muslim fiancee can call themselves Catholic for a day, take a class for a week, and get married in a Catholic church in Indonesia, and the government will smile and offer him a KITAP. I don't believe it works that way.

                            Most Muslim women, presumably, don't want to get married in a church, in the first place, and most of their families wouldn't be too pleased if they did.
                            Last edited by Mister Bule; 02-11-14, 19:37.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

                            The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X