Mixed marriage abroad- prenup registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed marriage abroad- prenup registration

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. We're both staying abroad and planning to get a pre-nup in Indonesia.

After getting the pre-nup and registering it in Pengadilan Negri, we are planning to get married abroad, register the marriage in the Indonesian embassy, and then register it again at the Catatan Sipil (with the pre-nup).

Will Catatan Sipil accept my overseas marriage registration? I'm just worried that the pre-nup won't be valid, then.

I saw similar old threads here, bits and pieces.

Will deeply appreciate your input and advices Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by agedashi View Post
    Hi all, I'm a newbie here. We're both staying abroad and planning to get a pre-nup in Indonesia.

After getting the pre-nup and registering it in Pengadilan Negri, we are planning to get married abroad, register the marriage in the Indonesian embassy, and then register it again at the Catatan Sipil (with the pre-nup).

Will Catatan Sipil accept my overseas marriage registration? I'm just worried that the pre-nup won't be valid, then.

I saw similar old threads here, bits and pieces.

Will deeply appreciate your input and advices Thanks in advance.
    Yes, getting married abroad is no problem if you got your prenup done in Indonesia first.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Yes they will.

Comment

From what I know, you will also need to register your Indonesian prenup in the country you're married in before your returning to Indonesia and register in Capil. Just do a translation for the prenup first

[FONT=century gothic] [FONT=georgia] This sentence is a lie[/FONT][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by KedaiKopi View Post
          From what I know, you will also need to register your Indonesian prenup in the country you're married in before your returning to Indonesia and register in Capil...

I think you are mistaken . I never heard of the necessity to register an Indonesian prenup in the foreign country where you marry . Registering in Catatan Sipil is not necessary too , as far as I know .

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I found an old thread from annchen and I've decided to follow what she did. Wish me luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I found an old thread from annchen and I've decided to follow what she did. Wish me luck!!
              and what did the old thread say ?

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                I think you are mistaken . Registering in Catatan Sipil is not necessary too , as far as I know .
                Hi marcus, just for info, my lawyer friend told me that the pre nup is better be registered in catatan sipil too, together with registering the overseas marriage certificate.

Comment

@kedaikopi: That I need to go to the ministry of foreign affairs here, get the marriage registration registered at both embassy. Translate the marriage registration to Indonesian and register at catatan sipil. I hope everything will work out smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by scubagirl View Post
                    Hi marcus, just for info, my lawyer friend told me that the pre nup is better be registered in catatan sipil too, ..

Did the lawyer showed you the regulation stating that it is necessary ?

Comment

@kedaikopi:
                      (a) That I need to go to the ministry of foreign affairs here,

(b) get the marriage registration registered at both embassy..

(a) You can do that if you want , but it may not be necessary . Depends on the foreigner's country requirement and other factor(s) .

(b) Registering a foreign marriage certificate , at the Indonesian Embassy of the country where you marry , is a requirement of the Indonesian Law .

Registering a foreign marriage certificate at the foreigner's Embassy may be required by Indonesian Immigration for issuing a KITAS or a KITAP , but this is not always the case . Some posters (me included) did get KITAS and KITAP without Immigration requesting it .

Comment

Undang-undang No. 1 Tahun 1974 tentang Perkawinan mengatur mengenai perjanjian pra nikah. Pasal 29 menyebutkan:

1. Pada waktu atau sebelum perkawinan dilangsungkan, kedua pihak atas persetujuan bersama dapat mengadakan perjanjian tertulis yang disahkan oleh Pegawai pencatat perkawinan, setelah mana isinya berlaku juga terhadap pihak ketiga sepanjang pihak ketiga tersangkut.

I think we just do what we believed it was the right procedures and others may have different thoughts. Living in Indonesia normally gives various experience in dealing with authorities.

Comment

Hahaha yes, exactly. A lot of grey areas. Sometimes it works for our benefit but at times (like now), I find it very frustrating. I will just do what I've planned (like I mentioned above) and cross my fingers.
                          Thanks for the help, everyone

Comment

You don't need to translate foreign marriage cert for Catatan Sipil. At least we didn't need to do it back in 1997 in Central Java, and their English wasn't as good then as it is now. The Catatan Sipil document is acceptable for SosBud and child KITAS, at least in this province, but was NOT acceptable for getting Indonesian citizenship for our two daughters. We had to get a notarized copy of US marriage cert for the naturalization process (which was the most expensive step, ironically).

Comment

Working...
                            X