Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUA paperwork & fee

Hi Forum,

Finally everything is on track to marry my indonesian fiancé! I just have a last uncertainty about the KUA (Bogor).

We will go there to apply for the marriage in the first week in April. I have all the paperwork needed, just not sure about the following, I hope somebody here knows this from past experience:

- My birth certificate is legalized by my Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Indonesian Embassy in Brussels. It is translated by a certified & registered translator in Jakarta. Do I have to get the translation legalized for the KUA, or will they accept it as is since it is from a sworn translator? The legalization would be quite a hassle, Ministry of Law & Human rights, then Foreign affairs, then my embassy... And the whole thing in the middle of the riots on the fuel price increse!

- It seems the KUA is opening their pockets full scale as soon as a bule is involved, of course all bules are millionaires! On the other hand, I read here in the forum that if my fiancé can proove she has no income (student), the KUA cannot ask for a lot of money. How much will they charge, and most importantly, how much is legitimate? Any ideas how to react / negotiate if they ask a ridiculous amount?

I would also be glad if somebody could recommend an agent that can handle all the administrative stuff at a reasonable price, I have seen such services in Bali, for 3-5 juta they organize the whole ceremony plus take care of the KUA and legalizations after the marriage. Unfortunatly, I cannot find anything like this in Bogor, not even in Jakarta...

Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful advice!

I am no professional but i would say if your paperwork has been officially translated in Jakarta, it should be fine. I got married at KUA in Bekasi... I think the cost was either 1 juta or 1.5 juta max. sorry a little vague, I can find out tomorrow for you if you need it. But just because you're a bule, doesn't mean they necessarily will try and rip you off... take your fiancee or an Indonesian friend with you if you are worried Definitely cheaper than what an agent will cost you!

Comment

How to react if they ask for a ridiculous amount? Feign polite surprise. Smile, and calmly yet firmly tell them you've been told that it's....1.5 juta...

Comment

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for advice! No need to be precise, this already gives me a good idea what's reasonable and what not. A friend of mine in the same situation went to KUA Bogor with the intention to get married there, and they wanted 3.5 juta from him, he ended up getting married in Bali where it was much easier... That's the main reason I am worried about KUA Bogor.

Comment

oh, I see, good luck! Take an Indonesian friend with you, they will be less likely to muck you around if there's a local with you I think.

Comment

I got married at KUA Gunung Putri last year and paid 500,000rp, do not pay more! that even covers excuse for same day issue of the Buku Nikah. have your documents ready from kantor Lurah and of course the Certificate of No Impediment from the Consulate of your country in Jakarta, a must have!

Gunung Putri is just down the road from Bogor and under the same jurisdiction more or less.

Get a few legalized copies of the buku Nikah once it is all done. They like to try and confuse you at the ceremony - for example about Muslim conversion and signing a few Forms and getting a Muslim Certificate but it is no big deal, just stand your ground.

By the way, they never asked my birth certificate, the CNI and Passport should be enough. Again, stand your ground! do not look too posh, dress very ordinary but smart, be polite and civil. Another tip, come by Taxi, so if they see you do not have a car, it is one tip in their thinking you are not rich.

Comment

Originally posted by happybunny1978 View Post
              (1) My birth certificate is legalized by my Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Indonesian Embassy in Brussels. It is translated by a certified & registered translator in Jakarta. Do I have to get the translation legalized for the KUA, or will they accept it as is since it is from a sworn translator? ...

(2) ... I read here in the forum that if my fiancé can proove she has no income (student), the KUA cannot ask for a lot of money. How much will they charge, and most importantly, how much is legitimate? Any ideas how to react / negotiate if they ask a ridiculous amount?

(3) ...I have seen such services in Bali, for 3-5 juta they organize the whole ceremony plus take care of the KUA and legalizations after the marriage...
              I would recommend you to ask someone from your future Indonesian spouse's family to go to the specific KUA , where you intend to marry , and ask all that you need to know , like the required documents , cost , ...This because each KUA may have different requirements .

(1) I didn't provide my birth certificate . My KUA just accepted a copy of my country's identification card (credit card's type) and passport , without translation or legalization .
              My "able to marry" notarized statement which I brought (sworn translated to English) from my country , I had to sworn translate it to Indonesian , but also no legalization at all .

(2) I still don't know the official price . My father in law told me that KUA asked for Rp1 million . I went there myself , but the most graduated official there didn't want to tell me the price . I ended up paying the Rp1 million , for the marriage at the KUA (not at home) .

(3) I don't know about agents . But there is no legalization after the marriage . They gave us 2 passport type certificates named "Buku Nikah Suami" (Husband's Marriage Book) and "Buku Nikah Istri" (Wife's Marriage Book) , which are considered the legal Indonesian marriage certificates for Muslims . No further legalization is necessary , except if your Embassy in Jakarta requires it for their "registration" (my Embassy does not require) .

References :
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/familylaw.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/marriage...lications.html
              http://www.expat.or.id/info/prenuptialagreement.html
              Last edited by marcus; 30-03-12, 22:27.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcibubur View Post
                (a) and of course the Certificate of No Impediment from the Consulate of your country in Jakarta, a must have! ....

(b) Get a few legalized copies of the buku Nikah once it is all done....
                (a) I didn't provide it . Instead I provided a kind of notarized "able to marry" statement .

(b) I didn't get any legalized copy . Could you tell us the use of the legalized copies . Already more than 2 years after the marriage and nobody asked me legalized copy of the marriage certificate (Buku Nikah) .

Comment

Wow...a lot of useful and helpfull info!

Seems also I am a bit over-prepared, I even have a police statement from my country stating that I am a law-abyding citizen :-), legalized and translated together with my birth certificate! Letter of non-impediment and prenup are all sorted, I will just give it a go without legalized translation of my birth certificate. That already avoids a lot of hassle.

The thing with legalization of the bukah nikah is important in my case and will be really stressfull. The reason is that I need to register my marriage back in my home country for various purposes, here is the procedure I need to follow (quote from Belgium embassy in Jakarta):

In order to register the marriage certificate with the Belgian authorities, the document needs to be legalized and translated.

1. a. For Moslem marriages : The KUA will issue 2 marriage booklets. At least one of these booklets must be legalized by the Ministry of Religious Affairs. You can contact the legalization department of this Ministry to have the requirements for legalization of the marriage book. (Contact tel. 021-3800 175)
                  b. For other marriages : Normally the Civil Registration offices in Indonesia (Catatan Sipil) issue only an excerpt of the marriage act. You need to request a complete copy of the marriage act (in Bahasa it’s called: Salinan Lengkap Akta Perkawinan).
                  2. The marriage book which is already legalized by the Ministry of Religious Affairs or the complete copy of the marriage act should be legalized and translated.
                  3. The consular fee of 1 (one) legalization at the Embassy is € 10,-, which has to be paid in Rupiah, depends on the valid consular rate.

Legalization (+ translation) procedure .

Legalisation (+ translation) of the original document by :
                  1. Departemen Hukum dan H.A.M. (Ministry of Law and Human Rights) Legalisation Section Jl. Rasuna Said 3, Kuningan, Jakarta Selatan
                  2. Departemen Luar Negeri (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) Directorate of Consular Affairs - Legalisation Section Jl. Taman Pejambon 6, Jakarta Pusat
                  3. the Embassy of Belgium
                  4. Translation by a sworn translator
                  5. Legalisation of the translation by the Embassy of Belgium

From my research I found that the same or similar procedure is required by most countries if you want to register your indonesian marriage there.

Comment

There may be a difference in understanding between legalisation of the KUA Marriage and legalised copies of the Buku Nikah. As of now, I have not done the first thing because it involves payment of an addiitonal fee, I think 450,000rp, to the British Embassy for them to issue a letter verifying the authenticity of the marriage. For what purpose/ Perhaps for an immigration requirement hinted on the Kitas extension but it remains uncertain.

Legalised copies of the Buku Nikah is cheap (only a few thousand rupiah) is a good thing because you do not want to part with your original Buku Nikah. An example of producing a legalised copy rather than just a photocopy is registering your childs birth with the British Embassy for passport. The legalised copy of the Buku Nikah is one of the supporting documents. Just an example.

I stress, do not pay more than necessary and do not be fooled by their tricky words or pulling your Partner into a separate room to try and extract money from her not in your presence. Stand your ground and enjoy the show!

Comment

The legalization of the buku nikah that happy bunny is talking about is necessary for the registration of the Indonesian marriage in a foreign country. All because Indonesia is not a signatory of the Hague convention (apostille).
                      "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Now this is something!

Thanks for all the good advice, but what I experienced today goes beyond good or bad. I want to share this story here as a bold warning to anyone who wants to get married in Indonesia. What a currupt country!

All paperwork was sorted and we walked into the KUA (details of which will be shared after the marriage) to do this last step.

A friendly guy (name to be shared later) in his mid-fourties, actually the chief of the KUA took us into his office and we started talking and filling in the forms. All papers he needed were there, the usual stuff from my fiancée, my Passport + copies, my Letter of non-impediment (english, no translation needed) plus my translated birth certificate (was required). No mention of money yet. My fiancée had a statement from her RT that she is student with no income, I explained to be a simple sales person who can just about make ends meet. We turned up by Ankot and were clearly seen getting out from it.

After one hour doing paperwork, discussions and explanations, we wanted to talk about money. At first he asked me how much I was prepared to pay, I stated I don't know and asked him how much the official fee was, since KUA is a governement office. There was some blabla and then he asked for 4 juta. Clearly shocked I showed him that I don't agree and told him about a friend who paid 1 juta. He was not interested and tried to convince my fiancée about religious things etc and even admitted clearly to her in Bahasa that he does not often deal with bules and wants to make money. In the end we mananged to push him to 3 juta, clearly anything less he would have kicked us straight out. We asked for a receipt, he gave us a receipt saying that he got our complete application and the the KUA fees are paid, no mention of the amount. I paid him half as deposit, we are supposed to pay the rest on the marriage day.

Now comes the icing on the cake! Tonight at 8 PM, my fiancée received a call from the guy, talking a lot of bu..sh.t, telling her to keep secret about the money and not to talk to anyone, in the name of Allah. He even offered if the money would be too much for us, he would give it back and not do the marriage, well knowing that she is getting married on an authorization letter from her KUA in the district where she is registered and that it is difficult to get a new one to get married elsewhere. Did he get second thoughts?

Or maybe, thinking back, he asked himself what I was doing occasionally with my Iphone? Was this bule maybe recording everything?

The answer is yes!

I am now reviewing my options, trying to keep the anger down until after the marriage. If anyone has good ideas how to set a public example with maximum exposure without being illegal, they are more than welcome.

Comment

If you have paid any more than the 500,000rp which I advised to you on this Thread, then I think you have been pretty foolish and silly. you could use your phone to record the conversation and the digiital camera to do the same. I did exactly that and they got scared.

there is now way you should pay a single rupiah over and above!

Remember you are the one getting married and it does not matter if you are Indonesian or foreigner. Do not fall for their dastardly tricks!

Comment

I have just realized what you have done. Agreed a 3 million fee, paid half of it in advance and agreed to pay the other half on the wedding day! Absolutely do not! Get your Deposit back and plan to do the wedding elsewhere, not at the KUA office and report this corrupt guy lock stock and smoking barrel.

The fees are actually posted on the wall in the KUA as you walk in, revisit (or ask someone to do it) and take a photo of the fee list. You will be surprised how little it actually is, less than 100,000rp. I am being generous at 500,000rp. Some Indonesians I know paid 750,000rp but they held a ceremony at the KUA and put the Chief to a bit of extra work on that score. Get your money back and expose this guy!

Comment

When the KUA head at the Kemang office asked for 5 juta to issue conversion cert., bukah nikah and perform the ceremony (got married at a nice hotel) I looked at him with surprise and asked "Islam must be a very exclusive religion to charge so much to enter, how do the poor get accepted?" He was very straightforward, he said he knew I was only converting for the marriage certificate and that I was having the ceremony in an expensive hotel so just pay up and don't argue and everything would be processed smoothly and quickly. Ended on a smaller amount, but what a terrible introduction to the religion. Not that I would ever consider really converting nor do I think there is the remote possibility that god exists, but if I had been serious about converting I would have had to rethink the whole process after his statement/treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X