Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying used motorcycles

Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys know of any good places to get used motorcycles. I've heard that many places strip the internal components to resell later and replace them with very cheap replacements.

What I am looking for is a 125cc or larger, semi automatic or manual motorcycle. Bebek is ok, as are all the other kinds. Probably not looking for a Vespa though. Looks don't matter, what's important is that it is mechanically reliable and won't leave the rider stranded. It will be ridden around Jakarta, Bogor, Sukabumi and other nearby areas.

Price? If we can do a 3 year credit it would be best, Rp 3-400,000.

Thank you.

Whats the reason for wanting second hand? There are new scoots avalable at very cheap prices. If you go second hand, remember that to change it into your name can not only be a headache, but also but cost between rp1 - rp2jt. Second hand will also require a new set of tires and a service from day one. And then there are all those 'modifications' to figure out.
    If you really want 2nd hand, i say search kaskus. Its able to find so many people who have the bike you looking for and you can negotiate sadistic. The dealers are the ones who replace original parts for reselling.

Comment

Because it's likely to be short term (<1yr) and it won't be used nicely (2-3 regular people driving it to different places throughout the week and on the weekend). It just seems a waste to buy new. It will be ridden hard and put away wet, for sure.

Comment

Be a little careful of what you buy.
        Servicing tends to be when something breaks. If I was in the market, I would buy private.
        You're likely to get a better deal and the chances of a pup are about the same anyway.

Comment

Mas: good tip about buying private. That throws away the monthly payment (business decision, not mine), but should be ok.

Comment

you will be surprised at how much abuse most bikes can actually handle. The important thing is to make sure the oil is clean and at the rite levels and the worst that usually happens after that is flat tyres and a couple scratches. these matics with their crank driven fans do a great job at preventing overheating.

Comment

Beebop: what I'm worried about the used ones are actually the innards of the engine/transmission being replaced with cheap knock-offs. I agree with the durability, though. Not much that could go wrong with these things. Even dirty oil can be tolerated for quite a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                Beebop: what I'm worried about the used ones are actually the innards of the engine/transmission being replaced with cheap knock-offs. I agree with the durability, though. Not much that could go wrong with these things. Even dirty oil can be tolerated for quite a long while.
                Unlikely for a privately owned bike. The dealers on the other hand will take every conceivable short cut to squeeze out every rupiah as possible.
                i think assurance is to get one that is still relatively new. Private owners generally wont go inside the engine inless its already had its time. Go for 2008 and newer and less than 20k km you should be fine. Check out kaskus. Whats your budget anyway?

Comment

Yep, checking on Kaskus. The budget is less important than value for the money. We can easily spend IDR 8-12 million, but we probably won't spend it on a 3 yr old Revo or Beat. But we might spend as little as IDR 4 million on an old Supra X if it checks out. Again the usage is likely to be less than a year, be used by several people during the week and the weekend (7 days/week usage), and likely to be run hard and put away wet. With that in mind, if I can get something that will last until the end of the year for cheap, but serves our purposes (hence the 125cc or bigger and reliable) it should be fine. Looks are at the bottom of the list of requirements, while reliability is at the top.

Comment

I think then you should make a new thread and ask about what is the most hardy and reliable bike.

Comment

Is it possible to get credit while buying bike from a person not shop? If possible how?

Comment

No, it isn't that I know of. Unless they're loan sharks or something like that. What's your budget? Lots of places selling second hand bikes with credit. Just look for ones that says Adira on it (the credit company) and lots of motorcycles up front

Comment

Well I was almost buying a Scorpio but I don't want to wait 3 weeks. Checked the second hands, 1 year old bike selling almost new price so no sense of buying old one. I think I'll wait for 3 weeks.

I'm quite confused actually what to buy. I'm looking for something for office use to run away from traffic, from Ciputat to Mangga Dua kills my all day with car.

KTM Duke 125 looks very nice but dunno the price.
                          Kawasaki 150R nice but exhaust extremely ugly.
                          Honda Tiger maybe... or should I go for CBR150 but with loan price will be something like 38 which is to expensive.
                          Scorpio looks nice, price nice, maintenance not high, can go in every hole (jalan tikus) but i like to be dffierent.

Wish I can find a good condition Honda VLX 750 ohh yeah

Comment

[QUOTE=PRose;186057]Well I was almost buying a Scorpio but I don't want to wait 3 weeks. Checked the second hands, 1 year old bike selling almost new price so no sense of buying old one. I think I'll wait for 3 weeks. QUOTE]

the scorpio will run rings around the honda tiger in many ways... ,
                            its way more powerfull , and its lighter , its cheaper to buy ,it has a smaller turning circle ( good for manouvering in the macet) ..., and from what the many tiger owners I know that have had to return their tigers for repair due to minor issues , the scorpio is more reliable , japanese made ,
                            ..., and scorpios servicing and spareparts are also cheaper . In sumary , the scorpio is a good value for money workhorse .

Comment

Yep. Concur. Just bought a jupiter mx. Then a week or so after there was a 3 year old scorpio. Grrrr. Anyway. For around jkt, I would recommend a bebek. Minimum 125cc. They are just more agile at speeds lower than 10km/hr. Me, I wish I got the scorpio because of the runs I do daily from bogor to jkt. So I could use the extra acceleration. The 135cc is a minimum for my use.

Comment

Working...
                              X