Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to get a British Passport for my coming Baby?

Default How long does it take to get a British Passport for my coming Baby?

Hey guys, Does any of you know how long does it take to process a British Passport for a new born? I am not an Indonesian citizen and my husband is British National. We are expecting a new member of the family this coming March. I just wanna know how complicated it is to get a British passport for him since we are planning to travel on June. Any inputs would be very useful! Thanks a lot!

I think that you should ask this directly to the UK embassy. It would also help you to prepare all the necessary documents.

UK embassy in JKT:

Address:

Jl. M.H. Thamrin No 75
    Jakarta 10310
    Indonesia

Switchboard:

(62) (21) 2356 5200

http://ukinindonesia.fco.gov.uk/en/

Office hours:

Office hours (Local time):
    Monday-Thursday: 07:45 - 16:00
    Friday: 07:45 - 12:45
    Office hours (GMT):
    Monday-Thursday: 00:45 - 09:00
    Friday: 00:45 - 05:45
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Hi, we got an Irish passport for our son in 2007 from Singapore and it took a few days. So, I'm guessing that you will have to wait the same lenght of time once you have all the paperwork you need

Ray
    When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Certified Troll

You will probably have to speak to the consul on 021 319 01314

Thanks a lot for all the infos! I guess I will not have problem in dealing with the British Embassy...

One more question, is it easy to get a birth certificate registered in Indonesia?

Quote Originally Posted by kverz View Post
    One more question, is it easy to get a birth certificate registered in Indonesia?
    It ain't "easy" but it isn't "difficult", in my opinion. A lot of paperwork needed but it is usually OK. I suggest that long before the birth you drop by the Catatan Sipil of the wilayah where you plan to give birth for them to give you a list of the documents you need since both parents are foreigners.
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Passports are applied for at the British Consulate General and not the embassy.

Deutsche Bank Building 19th floor
    Jl. Imam Bonjol No.80
    Jakarta Pusat 10310

Tel : +62 21 3190 1314
    E-mail: [email protected]

Got a British passport for our daughter last November. It was a very easy process, you can download the application form online, its easy to follow and they specify the documents required. Best to download the guide for taking a photo as well, as apparently the photo is the main reason applications get rejected.
    They take 10 working days to process it, although allow time for delivery at both ends if you are sending it by post. If you want to post it, you can pay the fee at your local Kantor Pos and send the payment slip in with the docs.
    We went to the consulate in person to make the application and received the passport by courier the day after it was ready.
    You can also do what we did and apply for a British birth certificate at the same time.
    If the baby is coming in March, it would be best to check the website or contact them nearer the time, as from the 8th February 2010 passports will no longer be processed in Jakarta but at a regional passport processing centre instead. They say it should still take 10 working days to process at this new centre, but they don't tell you where you will need to send it as yet.

Good luck
    Last edited by Addee; 31-01-10 at 05:34.

Theoretically the passport application should take 5 to 10 working days - assuming that they accept that the child's citizenship as British - and there in lies the catch.

With only your husband being British, I am unsure how they will treat his citizenship. You will need to contact the Uk High Commission, give them all the facts and ask them for advice on the matter.

It may just be a case of registering your child's birth and obtaining a UK Birth Cert before you can apply for the passport. Unfortunately I do not know how long this will take.

Now for the real fun! If your husband was born outside the UK, according to the UK Naturalisation laws from 1983, you have to apply to the UK Home Office for UK Citizenship for the child. If your husband was born in the UK, there may be other factors which may cause the UK HIgh Commission to suggest that you apply for citizenship. The problem with is that you have to supply a hugh pile of documents like proof of your marriage, proof of your husband's UK citizenship, your husband's passport, your husband's UK Birth Cert, your husband's parents' marriage certificate, your husband's parent' UK Birth certs (if possible) or other proof that his parents are UK citizens, proof of links to the UK, your child's birth cert with proof that it is your child and I can't remember what else (it has been 5 years since I had to last do this).

Length of time required for application for UK Citizenship: 2 to 12 months.

Prior to Indonesia's new laws for dual citizenship for children in 2006, the average amount of time for these applications made in Jakarta was 3 months. Not sure how long it will take now.

Best to go to the UK Consulate General on the 19th Floor of the Deutsche Bank Building and get all of the details - that is where I went.

But getting the British passport is only half the problem. Because you are both foreigners in Indonesia, because of the Indonesian laws and regulations you actually have to get the passport fairly quickly. Atlantis may know where/what the new laws are in regards to expat children being born in Indonesia.

And because you husband is British, they may completely ignore your citizenship and they will treat your child's citizenship as British.

So it will be good to get all the details about the British birth registration and passport application as soon as possible and get all of the paperwork ready long before the baby is born. Once the baby is born, you most definitely do not have the time (or energy) to go looking for the paperwork.

If you need any further information, please free to PM me and I can help as much as I can.

PB

Thanks Papua Boy for the info but I already been to the process before and I did it in the Philippines. My daughter got her British and Filipino passport without a problem. Just this Indonesian Immigration and stuffs that I think might be complicated. And yes, we go through the process of preparing all those birth certificates, marriage certificates, wedding photos blah blah...such a tiring complicated stuff heheheh..

Anyway thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Addee View Post
    Passports are applied for at the British Consulate General and not the embassy.

Deutsche Bank Building 19th floor
    Jl. Imam Bonjol No.80
    Jakarta Pusat 10310

Tel : +62 21 3190 1314
    E-mail: [email protected]

Got a British passport for our daughter last November. It was a very easy process, you can download the application form online, its easy to follow and they specify the documents required. Best to download the guide for taking a photo as well, as apparently the photo is the main reason applications get rejected.
    They take 10 working days to process it, although allow time for delivery at both ends if you are sending it by post. If you want to post it, you can pay the fee at your local Kantor Pos and send the payment slip in with the docs.
    We went to the consulate in person to make the application and received the passport by courier the day after it was ready.
    You can also do what we did and apply for a British birth certificate at the same time.
    If the baby is coming in March, it would be best to check the website or contact them nearer the time, as from the 8th February 2010 passports will no longer be processed in Jakarta but at a regional passport processing centre instead. They say it should still take 10 working days to process at this new centre, but they don't tell you where you will need to send it as yet.

Good luck
    Thanks so much! I will keep everything documented and get ready for that day! Phew! Yes Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast