Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batam to Tanjun Priok (Jakarta) by Pelni

Default Batam to Tanjun Priok (Jakarta) by Pelni

Has anyone done this trip? I have to go to Singapore in December but have time to kill on return. Would be interested travelling by sea rather flying.

I am having some difficulty locating a schedule online..their website's search engine isn't working and I haven't gotten through by phone. Does anyone have any ideas about departure dates and fares for mid-December?

Thanks!
    Last edited by elkythedogsperson; 30-11-09 at 22:41.

I have done this one before.

If you do find a schedule online, treat it as a rough guide and I do mean a rough guide.

It is better to actually walk into their office and speak to them in person.

Now PELNI does not go directly to Batam, it terminates at a neighbouring island called Bintang.

Getting a taxi across the island followed by a ferry trip across to Batam is very easy.

PB

Banned

If you want an adventure, try it; if you expect a leisurely cruise to Bintan/Batam, you probably shouldn't. I traveled to Menado twice by Pelni in the days when flying there was statistically more dangerous and financially more expensive for an extended family.

Even the best ships at the time were borderline tramp steamers. It was an experience for sure, but like something from a Hemingway novel set in the 1930s <grin>. What I'm talking about is non-stop, grinding engine noise; several inches of water sloshing across the inside/outside decks in only moderate seas; and a ship's mess that was, to be generous, minimal <g>.

If you want to do it, I'd suggest you check the ships' names plying that route and then find out what they're like. Even go see one or two, first, if you can.

Certified Troll

Quote Originally Posted by PakRT View Post
    If you want an adventure, try it; if you expect a leisurely cruise to Bintan/Batam, you probably shouldn't. I traveled to Menado twice by Pelni in the days when flying there was statistically more dangerous and financially more expensive for an extended family.

Even the best ships at the time were borderline tramp steamers. It was an experience for sure, but like something from a Hemingway novel set in the 1930s <grin>. What I'm talking about is non-stop, grinding engine noise; several inches of water sloshing across the inside/outside decks in only moderate seas; and a ship's mess that was, to be generous, minimal <g>.

If you want to do it, I'd suggest you check the ships' names plying that route and then find out what they're like. Even go see one or two, first, if you can.

Depends on what you want and what your expectations are, I would neither call the PELNI ships cruise liners nor "tramp steamers". I didn't have water sloshing all over the decks even in quite a heavy squall that would have made me quite concerned had I been on a ferry or tramp steamer.

They are in my opinion sea worthy ships as opposed to ferries and tramp steamers as such.

The food I ate was far better than a mess and better than some so-called restaurants in Jakarta but neither was it a fancy buffet or a banquet, you had a fixed menu that was prepared and served, quite nicely.

I suppose the only way to find out for oneself is to try them. I would go with them again but now from what I see of the cost it is far better to fly but the same can now be said of the train. I prefer both ships and trains to flying as regards a nice method of transport but for convenience and price it is usually a plane for me now.

You can see MV Kelud on the link below:-

http://www.pelni.com/pelni_kelud_a_schedule.htm

Which brings me on to Batam to Tg Priok. If I understand your post correctly Elky you are thinking of this as your return journey from SG not the outward one

The Kelud does/did sail every Wed from Batam to Tg Priok, it is apparently sailing from Batam on Dec 02 when it leaves Batam at 13-00 and arrives in Tg Priok on Dec 03 at 15-00.

I can find no further schedules for this vessel from Batam after this date or any other PELNI vessel from Batam to Tg Priok, so please note Papua's post above.

Also note Papua's point about schedules. The PELNI ships with a fixed routine do tend to depart and arrive on the day stated but not the time. Arrivals and departures up to 5 hours late are not uncommon I think.

If you are still interested they are sailing still from Bintan. I can't find any more schedules from Tg Pinang but the schedules from Kijang are up on the PELNI site are below:-

Mon Dec 7 Ciremai sails direct to Tg Priok arriving Tues 8

Wed Dec 9 Sirimu sails to TG Priok via Belinyu (Pulau Bangka) arriving Fri 10

Mon 14 Dec Dobonsolo sails direct to Tg Priok arriving Tues 15

Thurs 17 Dec Lambelu sails direct to Tg Priok arriving Tues 18

Mon 21 Dec Ciremai sails direct to Tg Priok arriving Tues 22

If you are planning this on your return, you can either take the ferry from SG to Batam and cross from Batam to Bintan by ferry or perhaps more better go directly from SG to Bintan, it willl save you time.

Apart from the Sirimu which is scheduled to depart Kijang at 16-00 and arrive in Tg Priok at 10-00 two days later they other vessels are scheduled to depart Kijang at 09-00 and arrive in Tg Priok at 12-00 the following day.

The cost of a first class cabin is around 1Jt plus port taxes. You can find the rest of the details on the site:-

http://www.pelni.co.id/schedule.asp?loc=id

Just type in Kijang as your port of departure and Tg Priok as your destination with the dates above.

Bon Voyage whatever you decide.

Banned

I agree. Pelni is for necessity or a one-time, been-there, done-that thing. It is not the Love Boat or a pleasure cruise by any stretch of the imagination. By the end of the trip the passangers will have made a pig stye, yes worse than babi, out of the common areas.

Certified Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
    I agree. Pelni is for necessity or a one-time, been-there, done-that thing. It is not the Love Boat or a pleasure cruise by any stretch of the imagination. By the end of the trip the passangers will have made a pig stye, yes worse than babi, out of the common areas.
    True, I had a Class 1 cabin so I had my own facilities.

I once took a train from Gambir to Surabaya and I couldn't believe the mess the toilet was in by the time we arrived in Yogya and that was "Eksekutif" .

I also once went to a wedding at a very nice place, I needed to go to the bathroom upon my arrival, it was very simple but nice and clean. I went again before I left for home and in the space of two hours it had been turned into proper shithole, even pigs would have turned away. The floor was literally swimming and toilet tissue was strewn everwhere. Again !!

OK, before this thread gets sidetracked into bathroom stories, let me pull it back to the topic at hand. Thanks trevbr for the excellent info. Also PapuaBoy and PakRT.

Anyway, here's what's up...my contract and KITAS run out December 17. Am looking at other possibilities in Indonesia or possibly Cambodia, but nothing is lined up and I don't want to either give up my living situation or go back to the states pending one of those possibilities coming through. So I want to just go to Singapore and come back in on a tourist visa to buy some time (I will not be working illegally as I have enough saved.)

Thus, I will have some time to kill. An adventure will be fine and I don't expect the love boat. In my earlier years (am I dating myself by saying that?) I was in the US Coast Guard, and spent a fair amount of time at sea. I miss that, and rather than spend 90 minutes on a plane coming back to Jakarta I would happily pass 27 hours afloat. I would plan on getting a cabin as trevbr said to have my getaway place. As for common areas getting trashed, I've traveled on enough chicken busses in Central America as well as other adventures abroad to know what to expect.

So looking at logistics then...how would it work then for me to fly to Singapore and taxi from the airport to the ferry to Batam or Bintan on Dec 16, arrange PELNI for the 17th (if trevbr's info corresponds--I'm sure it's good but I'll check on phone). Overnight in Batam/Bintan.

Where do I do Indonesia customs to get my tourist visa? In Batam/Bintan? Jakarta? Is it as easy as getting a VOA at the airport?

But the really important question...since I'll be on "vacation mode" do they sell beer on board at a reasonable price or do I need to take my own?
    Last edited by elkythedogsperson; 30-11-09 at 22:57.

Certified Troll

Hi Elky, thanks for reminding me, I meant to add it in my post above. The boats are dry, the closest you will get to beer is Green Sands. That was my mistake the first time. You need to take your own stock. Depends what you want but the ferry terminal in SG has a small Duty Free with adequate stocks of beer and the hard stuff.

I believe if you want a Tourist Visa you will have to get this processed at the Indonesian Consulate in SG, this will take three days. I have only done SusBuds there but I think it is the same. How easy the Tourist Visa is to get I honestly don't know, I have always been sponsored.

Maybe someone else reading can give a better reply here?

The VOA is issued on arrival same as at the airport.

On the logistics front, looking at the map I reckon you have time leaving SG on the morning of the 16 to get to Kijang the same day and catch the ship on the 17 if you arrive in Bintan at Tg Pinang. However, please note your stay in SG to get the Visa. You may get an agent that can do it in one day, once again I have no experience of this.

trevbr...thanks for the heads up!

As for tourist visa, I'm only looking for a 30-day, so I sould be able to do it. This post says VOAs are issued at:

Marina Teluk Senimba (Batam Island)
    Nongsa in Batam (Batam Island)
    Sekupang in Batam (Batam Island)
    Batam Centre in Batam (Batam Island)
    Sri Bintan Pura in Tanjung Pinang (Riau)

Don't see why I need an agent. I do have proof of onward travel for a flight in January.

A dry boat huh? Hmmm. wonder how much I can sneak onboard and how much I can resell it for...
    Last edited by elkythedogsperson; 30-11-09 at 23:32.

Certified Troll

No problem, nothing worse than being on a dry boat if you like a beer or two.

Sure you don't need an agent for a VOA it is issued at your port of entry. (The agent was mentioned in reference to getting a 60 day extendable visa in one day rather than three.)

You'll need the onward flight ticket for the VOA but if you ever get stuck for one buy a return in SG for the ferry, lasts one year and if you don't use it you can chuck it.

Enjoy your trip. Let us know how you went on please. I'm thinking of taking trip on PELNI next year, still working on the missus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast