Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Like Glue?

Default Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Like Glue?

I think I am doing correctly all the steps Betty Crocker lists: Boil white potatoes until tender, but not mushy, drain and dry, and then whip in a mixer with the listed amount of milk and a little butter and salt. The result is not the firm but fluffy consistency that I am used to producing Stateside, but a sticky baby-food like mush. What am I doing wrong? Wrong potatoes -- I think I am buying white russets; wrong milk -- not fresh, but the unrefrigerated stuff in a box; mixer to slow? Help!

Unless I get some good culinary advise, I am thinking of adding a bit of Portland cement and marketing the stuff as wall crack filler.

Certified Troll

You need to talk to my mother.

Hand the phone to your Mom, Mas.

Certified Troll

Quote Originally Posted by waarmstrong View Post
    Hand the phone to your Mom, Mas.
    Call her Joan.
    She says people outside Barnsley have no bloody idea how to make proper mashed spuds.

suspended member

Prolly too much liquid. Add butter and salt. Mash with a fork (yer lazy b*gger). Only add milk, if necessary.

PS It's all in the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratilla View Post
    Prolly too much liquid. Add butter and salt. Mash with a fork (yer lazy b*gger). Only add milk, if necessary.

PS It's all in the wrist.

Exactly, and ease back on the milk...actually you don't even need milk with good butter...
    IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

There are wax and floury spuds. Floury are best for mashed spuds. Can't remember the variety names but if you google floury spuds you will get the name. When you have finished boiling them, drain the water out and put the pot back on the heat, shaking the spuds around till they are dry and. Add milk, best if warm but it does not matter, butter and if you want to indulge yourself, half milk and cream, season and mix well. Even though I'm Irish, I'm not an expert on spuds

Ray
    When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Banned

First you need to start with the largest, ugliest, dirstiest spuds you can find. Those are the more flavorful and less starchy. You know, a classin Idaho spud. I´m sure you know what I´m talking about.

Then get some French butter, lots of it. Melt it in in a cup of (whole milk), then once it´s all melted and hot, add the spuds which you have already mashed with the bottom of a glass or cup. Of course, for flava´ you will have added fried (again in French butter) lots of onions (or garlic, depending on your tastes) to the butta´ and milk concoction described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
    First you need to start with the largest, ugliest, dirstiest spuds you can find. Those are the more flavorful and less starchy. You know, a classin Idaho spud. I´m sure you know what I´m talking about.

Then get some French butter, lots of it. Melt it in in a cup of (whole milk), then once it´s all melted and hot, add the spuds which you have already mashed with the bottom of a glass or cup. Of course, for flava´ you will have added fried (again in French butter) lots of onions (or garlic, depending on your tastes) to the butta´ and milk concoction described above.
    Clearly a recipe for a Heart attack or stroke but definitely sounds enak Mas...
    IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Thanks everyone. I checked out the "floury potatoes" on line and found several mashing brands/varieties to look for at Makro. I'm partial to onions and garlic, as well as butter, so I think I will give Hombre's suggestion a trial run before inflicting my next effort on guests. Note to self: mash with fork, you lazy bugger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast