Thread: US Citizen marrying Indonesian

Default US Citizen marrying Indonesian

I'm an US Citizen and my fiancee is an Indonesian. She has permanent residency status in US (green card holder). We both lives in US. We're planning to get married in Indonesia and we would like to have a wedding ceremony and wedding reception in Indonesia. We prefer to have wedding registry first in local city hall in US then going to Indonesia to perform a wedding. Is that possible? What kind of document we need to have? Or can we ignore the paperwork process in Indonesia and go ahead with the wedding since we would have obtained the marriage certificate from a local government here in US. The only reason why we would like to have a wedding in Indonesia is because family request. And we are planning to go back to US soon after the wedding is done. Btw we are both christian and I am a former Indonesian citizen so i look like a local.

Thank you for your help.

Certified Troll

To enter Indonesia I believe a US citizen can just get a 30 day visa on arrival.

As a foreigner, if you stay at a private house, you will need to register with the local police to stay legal. That much should be a free service. Have a photocopy of your passport 'face' and visa page ready for them.

I'm unsure of the answer to the main question but I understand the church service alone has no status in law so no government paperwork would be required. If I'm correct, the local vicar/priest is the only one you need to sort out with.
    Atlantis will know far better than I do.

It was a while ago but I don't think much has changed.
    My wife (Indonesian) and I (UK) were married in a civil wedding in Hong Kong. We flew to Jakarta and next day had a Christian church wedding with her family in attendance and later a reception with 'what she called a few friends'. 600+ people attended.
    The church issued us with a government marriage certificate much like you obtain anywhere.
    We now have a Marriage Certificate issued from Hong Kong which we normally use as proof of our wedding and one from Indonesia which, I feel sure, would suffice in RI.

Just watch out for those receptions....boy! they can be tiring as you will need to greet and smile then say bye-bye all over...it will leave you exhausted.

In the US or UK we just get drunk!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Davita View Post
    Just watch out for those receptions....boy! they can be tiring as you will need to greet and smile then say bye-bye all over...it will leave you exhausted.

In the US or UK we just get drunk!

David
    I will let my fiance read this

Soulrider , if should be good to read these references : http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html
    http://www.expat.or.id/info/marriage...lications.html
    http://www.expat.or.id/info/prenuptialagreement.html
    And if you have a plan to retire in Indonesia , maintaining your wife's Indonesian citizenship will make your Indonesian visa subject a lot easier and cheaper .