Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: future expat?

Default future expat?

Hello, my name is Ryan,
    I am an American student currently living in Florida. i joined this forum because i am extremely interested in Indonesian and islamic culture. I hope that in a few years when i graduate i can move to Indonesia to work, experience a different lifestyle. and possibly find a new place to call home. I am currently studying at a community college trying to get my associates in liberal arts..but i plan to transfer to a university for a bachelors degree possibly in engineering. i am also thinking about getting my TESOL certification immediately after graduation, or simultaneously... to open up teaching possibilities. I will likely have many questions and i hope that there are people willing to patiently answer them.
    Also,(and this may be irrelevant seeing as this is a forum for expats) I am learning bahasa Indonesia on my spare time, so if you know anyone who speaks natively that wouldn't mind chatting send them my way. i have been using skype and various other methods to communicate , and i would be more than happy to help someone who needs English practice.

Certified Troll

Hi and welcome. Indonesia is a nice place. Start with a holiday or two around the place. I'm in Central Java and can tell you there is lots of interest here and the people are friendly and helpful. They are going mad for native English speakers at the moment so work would be easy to find.
    Islam here is (As a rule) pretty moderate and I like it that way. A few things go a bit over the top for me but, for the most part, it's a good way to live.

Hey youuu! welcome to the forum!
    ah florida? nice! i have a friend and he live there
    you can ask me for free indonesian language lesson
    sensi banget sih lo, nyantai dong. inget lo di negara siapa yaaaa

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ryanlogic View Post
    ..but i plan to transfer to a university for a bachelors degree possibly in engineering. i am also thinking about getting my TESOL certification immediately after graduation, or simultaneously... to open up teaching possibilities.

sorry, but what's the point of that?

why not do an education degree in mathematics or sciences?

err.. i guess because he loves engine thingy?

im seriously considering saving up some money this school year so i can go backpacking for a month in June or early august. i think my tax return should cover the price of a ticket....and i am trying to sell my motorcycle...if that sells and nothing disasterous happens in my life, i should be able to come for a vacation. it would be nice if i could persuade a friend to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    sorry, but what's the point of that?

why not do an education degree in mathematics or sciences?
    because i don't want to limit myself in the job market, im not sure how it is elsewhere but with an engineering degree and a few certifications(which can often be acquired after getting hired over the summers etc...) you can teach math or science in the US up to high school level. But with a teaching degree you can never be an engineer.

because i don't want to limit myself in the job market, im not sure how it is elsewhere but with an engineering degree and a few certifications(which can often be acquired after getting hired over the summers etc...) you can teach math or science in the US up to high school level. But with a teaching degree you can never be an engineer.
    *clapclapclap* good luck tho

Banned

plenty of engineers trying to get hired as teachers over here, doesnt always happen

Bogor (where the largest botanical garden located), West Java, Indonesia

welcome to the forum Ryan. Any reasons about what you cited "i am extremely interested in Indonesian and islamic culture."

well.. about islamic culture.. you see not only Indonesia who has major moslem populated here, Malaysian, Arab and some other countries has the same thing too..
    so yeah, im with b_santoso

curious about your reason

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast