Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a wide selection of electronics in Jakarta (other than Ratu Plaza)

Question a wide selection of electronics in Jakarta (other than Ratu Plaza)

I am looking for a store and/or shopping area/mall with a VERY LARGE selection in electronics in Jakarta.

Here's what I mean: in other Asian cities, like Singapore, for example, you will come across a shop or mall where they will sell literally every single model of compact digital camera that is made. Or at least every single model from all internationally successful manufacturers. Shops will be packed with digital cameras to the brim, and have literally a hundred different cameras in their window on display.

This is what I am looking for in Jakarta. It would include hundreds of individual models for each of: TV's, printers, MP3 players, laptops, desktops, home theatre equipment, GPS devices, game systems, cameras, phones, camcorders, telephones, projectors, network equipment, scanners, computer components and accessories, and small appliances.

I understand that it's possible that I cannot find all types of electronics in one place, but recommendations for any of the above categories would be good. At the moment I am actually interested in camcorders.

I am not looking for a nice western-style shopping mall like Plaza Indonesia, or a store like Best Denki. And Ratu Plaza may be the closest thing that is here, but it actually does not have as wide of a selection as I am talking about, although it is in the right genre.

Default Mannga Dua

Give Mannga Dua a try. Nothing like the big malls in other Asian cities, but as I remember, a much larger selection than you would find in Ratu Plaza
    Kim

Excellent suggestion! In particular a place called "Rukan/Ruko Electronic Harco" or just "Harco Electronic", which is a 4 story building that has hundreds of cool electronics shops and quite a wide selection. The best I've seen in Indonesia.

Here is its location:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=17

They had exactly what I wanted, and it was a relatively obscure item.

Mauricio

I've been there a couple of times (looking for a variable audio line output CD/DVD player, which I managed to find), but it's quite exhausting to make the trip there from south Jakarta with traffic, the crowds and all. I now much prefer to pay just a little extra and shop at Ratu Plaza or Ambassador Mall than to trek to North Jakarta.

Pls try to go to Plaza semanggi too, you could find what you need in there. G Luck

Mauricio is right. Its exhausting work with the heat, congestion, crowds, and traffic to shop in Glodok, but my nature is such that I could not sleep well knowing that I paid more at a glitzy mall when the Glodok price for the same item is less. My experience is that the discounts available in the Mangga Dua & Pinangsia (Glodok Plaza) areas are worth the extra effort. I try to "save up" my wish list items and then plan a day long trip up north from our home is south east Jakarta. The Glodok merchants are usually more open to bargaining, as well. I enjoy the give and take of the price negotiations. Once you get a good value from a particularly shop in Glodok on several excursions, I have found that they we give me the "best offer" right off the bat.

What is more, once I have their number, I can simply call with a make & model number & get the good price & arrange deliver by phone. I find myself shopping at the South Jakarta malls or Electronic City, but buying from Glodok.

I'd also re-iterate that this thread is about selection, and not price. The selection (variety) at Harco Electronic center in Mangga Dua is far beyond what I have seen at any other mall, store, or area in Jakarta.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I'd also re-iterate that this thread is about selection, and not price. The selection (variety) at Harco Electronic center in Mangga Dua is far beyond what I have seen at any other mall, store, or area in Jakarta.
    If you are looking for "selection" I suggest you shop on-line through electronic blogs and magazines, as well as super stores, rather than grazing like a random-walk cow at this or that electronics mall in hopes that you might run across something that strikes your fancy. Shopping by wandering around is certainly facilitated by a large well stocked store, but once you make a "selection" the advise already provided may be helpful in securing the object of your desire at the best price available given your personal tolerance for congestion.

My point about selection is not for the purpose of browsing but for the purpose of increasing the probability that an already selected item is stocked. Calling a large number of shops to ask about a particular item is also impractical, since determining the phone number (or even the name) of an individual shop that might stock an item is itself impractical.

So if I have determined a specific item that I need (let's say by looking online), and I have a hunch that it is somewhat difficult to find in Jakarta, and I need it quickly, my best chances are to physically visit a place with the largest selection. The phone is impractical, and internet shopping is impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    My point about selection is not for the purpose of browsing but for the purpose of increasing the probability that an already selected item is stocked ....The phone is impractical, and internet shopping is impractical.
    Once you have been in Jakarta for enough time to have some practical experience, you may come to realize that driving to an electronics store or any specialty shop for that matter, even the big ones, is the least efficient way to shop. (Granted sometimes its the only way.) Further, I was not suggesting that you shop on-line, merely browse to narrow the field, to hopefully one brand/make/model. The specialty merchants in Glodok are a very competitive, but also a very cozy group. Once you have developed a relationship, a call to that supplier will be more likely to produce fast results (If there is a likely sale he will do the calling for you.) than a trip to even the biggest super store.

But hey, if you want to test out the shopping modus operandi that has worked for you in other, namely Western, jurisdiction, be my guest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast