Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Review: Sari Bundo Restoran Padang

Default Restaurant Review: Sari Bundo Restoran Padang

Following Rabbit's lead, I thought I would post a quick review of a Padang restaurant also known as restoran Padang: Sari Bundo.

First thing first, what is a Padang restaurant? It's a restaurant which serves cuisine from Padang, an area in West Sumatra. The food itself is very special but also the whole restaurant concept:

The food is made well in advanced and displayed in stacked up plates by the restaurant window.

P6130385.jpg by el_goretto, on Flickr

Once seated, the waiter will bring out most if not all of the dishes to the table, stacking them up on top of each other if necessary.

P6130377.jpg by el_goretto, on Flickr

Then, you pick which food you'd like to eat and fill up your plate. Each of the dishes come in one or two portions. Say, the beef rendang (my favourite) comes in two pieces but you don't have to eat both pieces, just eat the one you want and leave the other one in the small plate. Traditionally, Padang food is also supposed to be eaten with your fingers (another reason why I like it so much).

P6130381.jpg by el_goretto, on Flickr

Once the meal is finished, the waiter is called and he will count the empty plates or partial plates to write the bill. Whatever is left in the dishes is brought back to the front or sometimes even moved straight away to another customer's table.

P6130383.jpg by el_goretto, on Flickr

About Sari Bundo:

Ever since the first time I came to Indonesia 4 years ago, my love for Padang food hasn't stopped growing to the point where I would eat it several times a week if I could. There used to be a Sari Bundo restaurant nearby where I live in BSD but it closed down which made me really upset because at one point I used to order from them a few times a week until my "bule" digestive system couldn't take the spices anymore. So when my father in law told me that the original Sari Bundo restaurant in Jakarta is reputed as being one of the best Padang restaurants in the capital, I convinced him to make the 2 hour trip to eat lunch there. He also told me that this restaurant has a special secret ingredient: Ganja aka weed. Needless to say, this got me excited.

We arrived at the restaurant at almost 2pm and even if the lunch rush hour was passed it was still very busy. We washed our hands, sat down and here came all the plates. There's a bit of everything in there: Beef Rendang (beef slowly cooked in coconut milk with spices), Ayam Goreng (fried chicken), Ayam Gulai (chicken cooked in a coconut curry), Telor Gulai (same as previously but with hard boiled eggs), Otak Gulai (goat brain), Cumi Gulai (Cuttlefish), Sambal Goreng Ati (fried chicken liver with chili), Perkedel (Fried mashed potato balls), Deng-deng (a sort of beef jerky), Udang Balado (prawns in tomato and chilly sauce), Ikan Bilis (small fry fish with chili), some Terong (eggplant), Cassava leaves and other veggies. Hot fragrant jasmine tea with free refills is also included.

The food was simply delicious, although spicy but not the most spicy Padang food I have eaten. The Sambal Goreng Ati was really crispy and the beef rendang was made with good quality meat and extremely yummy sauce. As for the Terong, it just melted in my mouth.

How about the Ganja? I honestly couldn't tell. All I know is that 20 minutes in the car afterwards I felt really sleepy but I don't know if it's because of some magic ingredient or simply because I ate too much.

Sari Bundo
    Jl. Ir. H. Juanda No. 27, Jakarta

Quote Originally Posted by El_Goretto View Post
    How about the Ganja? I honestly couldn't tell. All I know is that 20 minutes in the car afterwards I felt really sleepy but I don't know if it's because of some magic ingredient or simply because I ate too much.

Sari Bundo
    Jl. Ir. H. Juanda No. 27, Jakarta
    It could be carbohydrate overload instead of the weed . Out of curiousity, coming from western countries, would you feel uneasy eating padang food knowing the dishes are not kept at safe temperature and have been served multiple times to multiple customers?

YES first time I ate it was the last. I had been here a week.

I was so sick for about 3 days
    Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by audrienne View Post
    It could be carbohydrate overload instead of the weed . Out of curiousity, coming from western countries, would you feel uneasy eating padang food knowing the dishes are not kept at safe temperature and have been served multiple times to multiple customers?
    Possibly carbs overload but my eyes were burning a lot. However I was far from high so the first option is most likely.

Not sure if your question about eating Padang food is directed at me or general, but if it is for me, well I obviously don't have any problem eating Padang food but I must admit I was really surprised the first time I ate it and so many alarm bells rung in my head. But I thought, what the hell, if it's good enough for 245 million Indonesians, it's good enough for me. For the record, I've never been sick from Padang food, as in I never got any food poisoning. It's just that my guts can't take a prolonged spicy diet just yet.
    Last edited by El_Goretto; 17-06-13 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jim69 View Post
    YES first time I ate it was the last. I had been here a week.

I was so sick for about 3 days
    I normally got food poisoning during this first week I arrived in Indonesia. This time is different since I am taking probiotics. Last week there was a day when I skipped taking probiotics and I got stomach trouble for a day. I grew up in Indonesia so I believe I have " Indo iron tummy" but it seems it is no longer the case

Quote Originally Posted by El_Goretto View Post
    Possibly carbs overload but my eyes were burning a lot. However I was far from high so the first option is most likely.

Not sure if your question about eating Padang food is directed at me or general, but if it is for me, well I obviously don't have any problem eating Padang food but I must admit I was really surprised the first time I ate it and so many alarm bells rung in my head. But I thought, what the hell, if it's good enough for 245 million Indonesians, it's good enough for me. For the record, I've never been sick from Padang food, as in I never got any food poisoning. It's just that my guts can't take a prolonged spicy diet just yet.
    Very good indeed El Goretto! Btw any recommendation for good food near Alam Sutera/ BSD since I am under impression you are living in BSD

Alam Sutra: try flying noodle. Great food at a very good price.
    Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds. Albert Einstein

I grew up in Indonesia so I believe I have " Indo iron tummy" but it seems it is no longer the case
    No, you lose that immunity after a couple of months in an ultra sterile environment.

Don't really care for Padang food myself. And bringing food to a table and returning it 'unused' for a next customer makes me shiver, as well as seeing food lying behind a window display while flies have a feast.

Quote Originally Posted by jstar View Post
    No, you lose that immunity after a couple of months in an ultra sterile environment.

Don't really care for Padang food myself. And bringing food to a table and returning it 'unused' for a next customer makes me shiver, as well as seeing food lying behind a window display while flies have a feast.
    Yes the flies flying around food really irks me.. Does anyone else notice many bread stores in Indonesia leave their breads laying around on open shelves and people dont seem to care?

Very good indeed El Goretto! Btw any recommendation for good food near Alam Sutera/ BSD since I am under impression you are living in BSD
    Well, if you like Padang, you can try SSS in Bintaro. I know it's not BSD / Alam Sutera but it's quite good.

In Alam Sutera, there are a few nice places in Flavor Bliss, opposite Living World such as Bandar Jakarta (seafood BBQ) and Warung Si Doel (Betawi cuisine).

In Living World itself, there's a nice ramen restaurant serving delicious pork with the ramen in the corner next to Bangkok Jam on the ground floor. There's also a Bali cuisine restaurant called Bebek Tepi Sawah that is quite nice. I also like Sate Khas Senayan but you can find them everywhere.

In Summarecon Mall Serpong, there's a nice place to eat pork ribs called Poka Ribs, very nice, with meat literally falling off the bones. There are also several places that serve decent beer and it's an overall decent outdoor area in this mall.

In BSD, you can try the Indian restaurant in Teraskota Mall which is quite nice as well as Pepenero (Italian). If you keep going further towards Serpong and away from Tangerang, after the De Latinos residence, you will find on your right a restaurant called Pecel Madiun. They make very nice Pecel dishes and the setting is very nice in a lush garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast